Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Costs - Avoid Geico

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

To understand premiums, you have to understand the macro picture. For every dollar they take in, most pay out OVER one dollar in claims. They make their money by buying bonds and collecting interest until they pay it out again in claims. THE GOVERNMENT HAS HAD A ZERO INTEREST RATE POLICY FOR ALMOST TEN YEARS! So, with such extreme unpredictable actions, how do you run a business? They all raise rates to survive. I've had State Farm for over forty years, and during rising rate cycles sometimes they are more, sometimes less, but it averages out. The difference is I'm such a long term customer there are numerous unspoken perks--they treat you differently--better. They insured an outrageous AC C obra race version, and everything else I have asked of them, and streamline claims. Frivolous lawsuits and fraud make up an enormous part of your bill, but that's what the bullshit politicians did in your state. My premiums have doubled over the last few years, but from experience I know that whoever is cheaper this instant probably has a rate increase pending. That doesn't begin to account for inflation--government money printing--so maybe people are shooting the messenger instead of blaming the right cause, government shenanigans. Singling out one company is just a matter of timing. Just sayin.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by rjwvetttt
State Farm wasn't in the ballpark in prices. They also will not pay for agreed value.
Ripped my cousin off big when his car was totaled.
Thanks for the info, sorry to hear of your cousin's plight....I'm guessing insurance rate premiums and how certain carriers deal with totaled vehicles is based more on the regional area of the insured vehicle. I would imagine all the insurance carriers at one point or another have lower costs than their competitors, depending on the state. It definitely pays to shop around. Geico I'm sure has great rates for some states, and then others not so much, and vice versa for everyone else. No matter who the carrier is, I'm not happy to fork it over.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:41 PM
rjwvetttt
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by C5R USA
Thanks for the info, sorry to hear of your cousin's plight....I'm guessing insurance rate premiums and how certain carriers deal with totaled vehicles is based more on the regional area of the insured vehicle. I would imagine all the insurance carriers at one point or another have lower costs than their competitors, depending on the state. It definitely pays to shop around. Geico I'm sure has great rates for some states, and then others not so much, and vice versa for everyone else. No matter who the carrier is, I'm not happy to fork it over.
This is why I still shop around every year. You're absolutely correct though.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:04 AM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

If your car is not a DD look into the National Corvette Museum coverage. It is agreed value with $0 deductible and you can tailor it depending on how you wish to use your car. I have my 94 convertible Vette and 68 RS/SS Camaro with them and I pay $530 a year for both.
The following users liked this post:
corvettemuseum (09-28-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 07:47 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwvetttt
Yes they insure to the agreed upon value. You'll need another vehicle insured with another company.
Do you know what their restrictions are?

Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Another insurance thread but, I'm not complaining. If there's one common denominator we all share, it's handing over money grudgingly to your carrier. I spent years at USAA dating back to the late '80's, and hands down, no one could come close to the rates they offered. When rival companies called vying for your business and you told them you were with USAA, the conversation ended pretty quick. I left USAA a few years ago, and don't miss it a bit. They jacked up their rates to the point where it's laughable to say they are even competitive anymore. If you shook hands with a service member, you could get probably get insurance with them. As soon as they relaxed their standards and let everyone in, so went the quality of the driver's they insured. I've been with State Farm for a few years now and (knock on wood) have not gotten a shock from rate hikes, like I saw with USAA. 2 Corvettes, S10 ZR-2 , and a Nissan Maxima, and I pay less than $500 for 6 months. Of course being 50, with a lily-white driving record helps to.

USAA- is Ok, not great but, Ok....If your looking for a car loan or credit card with USAA, their rates on those are definitely good
State Farm- I find their customer service and rates to be very competitive. Probably not the best company out there but, YMMV.
Geico-They sure advertise like crazy, and honestly I can't remember any policy holder ever saying anything good/great about them. Someone must like them for something?

Just my .02
I don't know what you mean when you say that USAA now lets everyone in. As far as I know, you still have to be in the military, a vet, or a parent would have had to serve and be a USAA member in order to get insurance with them. I know because my sister recently tried to gain insurance with them as our dad served in the Navy, but they wouldn't allow it because my dad never had USAA insurance. Also, while I agree their rates have gone up, at least with me anyway, they still have the lowest rates I've been able to find...
Old 09-26-2018, 11:29 AM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

I have all of my insurance with State Farm (ten policies, I think) and while I've had a few claims, nothing major. My rate on each policy is reduced by my having all of my insurance with them. My agent here is great, as well. That goes a long way with me.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:26 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by grampi50
I don't know what you mean when you say that USAA now lets everyone in. As far as I know, you still have to be in the military, a vet, or a parent would have had to serve and be a USAA member in order to get insurance with them. I know because my sister recently tried to gain insurance with them as our dad served in the Navy, but they wouldn't allow it because my dad never had USAA insurance. Also, while I agree their rates have gone up, at least with me anyway, they still have the lowest rates I've been able to find...
Yes, you do have to be Military affiliated or be related to someone that does have a policy is but, what I'm saying is they've relaxed their standards . In the old days, you had to be a commissioned officer, a spouse or dependent of one and that was it and the rates were unbeatable. They've opened the doors to enlisted, more family members, and ex-spouses. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that when you open the floodgates, the quality of the drivers is going to suffer. I got so tired of seeing my rates steadily climb year after year. I got the old USAA two-step of "more people in your state are having accidents" so the cost of the claims has to be recovered. So, because you opened the floodgates to everyone, now I have to pay for their carelessness? That's straight up FUBAR in my book. USAA in the old days, I was happy to pay the insurance premiums, because it either stayed the same or dropped a little. I never saw rate hikes like I've seen in the not so distance past. It was criminal how much it went up. Anytime I got quoted from USAA in the past for a different vehicle, I was always elated, and my standard answer was, "that's it"? Those days are long gone....

I'm happy that you like them, they served me well for 20+ years but, their rates aren't unbeatable anymore. That blissful marriage has ended. USAA used to be about customer service, now they've succumbed to corporate greed, and see only the $$$ signs.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:59 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Yes, you do have to be Military affiliated or be related to someone that does have a policy is but, what I'm saying is they've relaxed their standards . In the old days, you had to be a commissioned officer, a spouse or dependent of one and that was it and the rates were unbeatable. They've opened the doors to enlisted, more family members, and ex-spouses. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that when you open the floodgates, the quality of the drivers is going to suffer. I got so tired of seeing my rates steadily climb year after year. I got the old USAA two-step of "more people in your state are having accidents" so the cost of the claims has to be recovered. So, because you opened the floodgates to everyone, now I have to pay for their carelessness? That's straight up FUBAR in my book. USAA in the old days, I was happy to pay the insurance premiums, because it either stayed the same or dropped a little. I never saw rate hikes like I've seen in the not so distance past. It was criminal how much it went up. Anytime I got quoted from USAA in the past for a different vehicle, I was always elated, and my standard answer was, "that's it"? Those days are long gone....

I'm happy that you like them, they served me well for 20+ years but, their rates aren't unbeatable anymore. That blissful marriage has ended. USAA used to be about customer service, now they've succumbed to corporate greed, and see only the $$$ signs.
The rate increases must depend on which state you live in because I've had USAA for at least 20 years now and my rates only increased once during that time. Also, I shop rates frequently and I still haven't found a another company that can touch USAA's rates...
Old 09-27-2018, 08:15 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by grampi50
The rate increases must depend on which state you live in because I've had USAA for at least 20 years now and my rates only increased once during that time. Also, I shop rates frequently and I still haven't found a another company that can touch USAA's rates...
This is exactly what I was referring to in an earlier post. Again, I'm thrilled to hear that USAA comes through for you, and that the rates are substantially less. Whatever state you live in, obviously hasn't been hammered with claims like Missouri has.. That is the one facet of insurance that any of the carriers loathe having to fork over for, and if there's a lot of claims, their going to get their money back somehow, mot likely from John & Jane Q. USAA members. Insurance companies are a business, and no matter how much they claim to be geared towards diamond customer service, they are looking at the quarterly and annual margins religiously.

Best regards, Tom M.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:55 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

This is exactly what I was referring to in an earlier post. Again, I'm thrilled to hear that USAA comes through for you, and that the rates are substantially less. Whatever state you live in, obviously hasn't been hammered with claims like Missouri has.. That is the one facet of insurance that any of the carriers loathe having to fork over for, and if there's a lot of claims, their going to get their money back somehow, mot likely from John & Jane Q. USAA members. Insurance companies are a business, and no matter how much they claim to be geared towards diamond customer service, they are looking at the quarterly and annual margins religiously.

Best regards, Tom M.
No disagreement here. I'm disappointed that I'll have to insure my Vette through a different company as USAA won't insure for an agreed upon amount...
Old 09-29-2018, 01:45 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

I use AARP/The Hartford and have for many years.
2003 Corvette
Total Premium: $498.50 a year with very low deductibles

Premiums will vary by which state, years of driving without an accident or ticket.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jrprich
I use AARP/The Hartford and have for many years.
2003 Corvette
Total Premium: $498.50 a year with very low deductibles

Premiums will vary by which state, years of driving without an accident or ticket.
Are you the one who said in another thread that Hartford will insure for an agreed value, and they have no driving restrictions?
Old 09-29-2018, 02:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Arvalo
You guys getting in a lot of accidents or getting a lot of tickets? My rates have never fluctuated more than 10 bucks a year. Nothing that made me even raise a brow.

i have Geico and my rates have only hiked once and that was after I backed my wife’s car into a pole. Woops.
Wait til you have a claim youll wish you switched.
They all try and screw us with whatever excuse they can come up with. State Farm does the ol "Whats your mileage" 2x a yr to increase it.
Well Ive driven less than 1000 mi the last 2 yrs combined, had to fight like hell to keep the rate from going up.
They take care of biz fast if you have a claim Ill give them that.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Mike7680
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Route99
If you are active, retired or former military you may want to check with USAA. Their rates are not always the lowest, but they are very competitive and their service is excellent. They are always rated either #1 or #2 on customer satisfaction surveys.
(I believe you are also now eligible if you were not military but have an immediate family member who is or was in the military. Might be worth checking).
Regardless of car ...or house ...or location around the world, USAA has always treated me right!

Quick Reply: Insurance Costs - Avoid Geico