Sponsored by:

[Z06] Advice on buying a low mileage C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:45 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-Z06
6GenVettes: What is the "engine wobble" you speak of?
This was my extended thread when I was selling my Z06 eight yrs ago. I was very upfront about everything and mentioned the "wobble" in my initial post. Then read post #16, 17, and the important post #18. They know what they are talking about. You can always rely on #18 on C5 issue advice. https://forums.corvetteforum.com/sho....php?t=2742395

If by small chance you have a genuine wobble, do not let that keep you from buying an otherwise a nice car. Same with 04 within VIN range of the gas tank leak issue. It's a problem which GM took care of for 10 yrs if a 04 owner had an actual leak issue due to defect from supplier of gas tanks. It was not a recall however, which IMOP should have been. The problem persisted beyond C5. If within VIN range, it may have been fixed by now or otherwise why worry after all these yrs if it ain't broke, don't fix it. When you find what you like go to the service bay of any Chev Dlr and ask the service bay to run the VIN history since new. I would think they should still be able to pull that up. Ask for a hard copy. No cost to them or you. It's just a routine computer check for things like recalls and service. Also tells you where it was bought. And of course Carfax or autocheck will give you more info as well.

GLWP

Last edited by cor28vettes; 10-21-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: included #17
The following users liked this post:
Steve-Z06 (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
In that case anything 40K or under would be fine if it is well kept. The key is not exactly how many miles it has on it, but how well it has been maintained.

Super low mileage cars (unless the owner takes it our regularly and changes fluids and lubricates seals and rubber pieces) will usually have some seal issues, need for new fluids, tires, hoses, etc. The longer one sits, the more the seals and rubber are not lubricated or kept pliable. Heated and cooled garages certainly help longevity of these pieces, but anything that sits is subject to deterioration from lack of use.
Yeah I remember yrs ago when C5's were being sold on here with low mileage and a typical response was they may suffer from "infant mortality", meaning issues were pending whereas cars with higher mileage had the typical new-car bugs addressed.

Ideally, you would want a low mileage car that's been used a bit on a regular bases, not too much, not too little. One owner car would be better than multi-owner. Of course the wrong one-owner who could care less is not the one you'd want to buy from but you get my drift. I'd be looking for a garage kept car rather than one exposed to the elements. Not only garage kept but climate controlled if possible. Nothing worse than a super hot attached-garage in the summer. Would you spend much time in one?

And they say pay a mechanic to look thing over. I agree but I never did. I'm not no mechanic but I've had 28 of them. Only one new. Main reason I only bought used was bc I could not afford new. Of course they only produced (my fav) SWC between 62-63 while I was in HS. I had no $$ in HS to buy a vette, new or used, as 99% of us can attest.

Got lucky most of the time. No such thing as "climate controlled" in my vette history since 1966. I did substitute my "open lawnmower shed" for a garage to store my best of (4) SWC's back in the 80's. Air conditioned at nature's call (did NOT own 4 SWC at the same time as implied). Also want to say just bc I had 28 means little. Those are just 28 nice memories. What counts is what you got now, or you plan to buy. And that's you my friend.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 10-21-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:41 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Leader One

I bought my 2004 Z06 3years ago with 5,300 miles on it and as of today I got 8,300 miles on it I’ve had zero issues and zero concerns about it. The only thing that I would question is the Vin number that you look at make sure it doesn’t fall in the range of suspected fuel tank leaks mine does not and other than that I wouldn’t worry about anything. Ignore the naysayers about low mileage cars with leaking seals and dry rotting rubber with the exception of tires that stuff doesn’t exist on these newer modern engines.
Another sharp Z06. Beautiful! One just like that popped locally FS (within 10 miles). Perfect in every way except I had a 03 Anniv Edition Vert on my hands at that moment in time. Went to look at it anyway and tried to sell mine to get his. Did not work out. Now I got the hots again for a 03/04 Z06 MY/prefer w/mod red. But I got my funds in my waterfront lot which is FS. When it sells maybe????

Last edited by cor28vettes; 10-21-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:45 PM
Steve-Z06
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on a purchase...

I found a blue 2002 with about 21k miles. I'm strongly leaning toward this car as the color-miles-price combination works for me. The build date falls smack in the middle of the range for valve spring problems. I don't see that as a huge reason not to buy (unless one fails on my 800 mile drive home) as I'm handy with a wrench. The only other issue could be the new tires the guy put on are not the exact factory size. It has 275/40/17 (factory spec 265/40/17) on front and 285/35/18 (factory spec 295/35/18) on the rear. The seller says there are no trouble codes, especially related to the tires sizes. I'm not sure of the quality of the tires either: Nitto NT555GT (or something similar, his phone was breaking up a little while talking to him this morning).

Old 10-21-2018, 05:26 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Aside from valve spring potential the car sounds fine. Tires appear to be just one size larger. Since they are new you could always sell them and buy what you like. From what I can remember, Nitto's were just fine for the C5. I would much rather have these new tires than anything more than 7-yrs old. With these new tires the car should give you a good ride home. If you buy, make sure the seller is aware up-front that you need to drive it home and it's 800 mile trip. This car is like 17 yrs old now so his defense will be what do you expect from a 17 year old car if he gets a call from you en-route home with problems.

When I sold my 03 Anniv Edition the buyer from NJ flew in with legal tags, sight unseen. Fully paid for at his discretion. I had a starting issue just as I was getting ready to sell the car. Sometimes it would fail to start/sometimes it would start. Did I want my buyer from the CF to fly in, drive this en-route to NJ from FL, turn the car off while getting gas, a meal, or an overnight stay to discover the car would not start? No way. I went and spent the necessary $120 P&L to get the new Solenoid installed onto the starter. His trip was further than 800 miles and after his arrival he posted a nice thank-you thread for how everything went. Here it is https://forums.corvetteforum.com/sho....php?t=2919121 He was happy/I was happy.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Advice on buying a low mileage C5 Z06