Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a C6 Grand Sport, now I want one

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 07:04 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Nice clean looking vert you've got there! Actually both cars are nice as hell. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

In several years when its time for me to consider upgrading, a C6 GS is on the list of candidates. The only thing I dislike about the body is the different vents and the chrome GS badge. For my personal taste I'd probably get some C6 Z06 fenders and remove the Z06 badge. Then cam the ls3 and put the Z06 badge back on LOL.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:23 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

As others have said - you only live once.
In 2012, I sold my 03 Electron Blue A4 coupe that I modded with; Procharger, Headers, Catback and Dyno'ed at 480ish RWHP.

Went 6 long years w/o a Vette and this past June came back to the club and bought my '13 GS 60th Anniversary coupe. My modded C5 produced more power but the LS3 in the GS (auto) does pull hard.

Last edited by cal45; 10-11-2018 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BAT (10-12-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If you change your mind and stick with your C5 you will continue to drive a sharp, well presented Corvette!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:33 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

That does look awesome. The big question when you decided to sell your 04Z06 did you start second guessing yourself. I think we all go thru this. It’s like you get attached to a car for a long time then you are not sure weather to sell it or not. The op has a nice C5 and wonder if he will have sellers remorse if he sells his C5 and moves up to a C6 or C7. Something happen with the post this should have attached to the guy with the red Z06. Not trying to high Jack the thread.

Last edited by ZO6 cracker; 10-11-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1
K-Spaz, you have a beautiful 427 vert! Is that Night Race Blue Metallic? Very nice.

​​​​
thanks. Yes it's night race blue.

Originally Posted by Mcrider
I have a 2011 GS and I honestly think that as the years roll by, the C6 GS will become one of those classics people will always want.

It's that last of the true corvettes that were all American styling, not a botched move to euro influences like the C7 is.
Same here. For what I spent on my 427 I could have purchased a brand new C7. I know there an awesome car and they're even more refined yet than the C6, and obviously newer. I truly think the car I bought is about as pretty as they come. There's a lot of nice looking Corvettes out there but it's tough to not like the C6 wide body. And as far as who's car is faster, I really don't care.
Originally Posted by shaggyvette
I too have a c5 2001 (mag red vert) and love it, but plan to trade it for a c-6 gs in the spring. I love the look and the sound with the npp exhaust option. Tough getting into payments again, but I think it's worth it.
Dave
Very first mod for your car should be a Mild to Wild kit. For 50 bucks you have a remote control that you can have the car sound awesome all the time or dead quiet when you want. I love it! Obviously requires NPP exhaust.
Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
That does look awesome. The big question when you decided to sell your 04Z06 did you start second guessing yourself. I think we all go thru this. It’s like you get attached to a car for a long time then you are not sure weather to sell it or not. The op has a nice C5 and wonder if he will have sellers remorse if he sells his C5 and moves up to a C6 or C7. Something happen with the post this should have attached to the guy with the red Z06. Not trying to high Jack the thread.
​​​​​​​ you know when it gets right down to it, I've owned lots of cars in the past and I've gotten rid of some pretty nice ones. I don't really consider it second-guessing myself or having seller's remorse or any of that. It is an asset that I can only have so many sitting around depreciating. I do not have room to keep every car so the bottom line is something has to go. I just sold my C5 I had for 6 years and you know, sure it would have maybe been nice to keep the car for I don't know what reason. I sold it for way less than it was worth because I wanted to move on quickly. The guy who got it is positively thrilled, he just can't get over the deal he got. And I actually take some satisfaction in that. I'm glad that he's happy, it certainly beats the alternative. You might come back someday and say yes I should have kept my 04 Z, but that will probably be if you have all kinds of problems with another vehicle and wish you had it back. But it will not be something that you say because you are thinking that right now. The op is going to pick a new vehicle and go buy it and undoubtedly he has to get rid of the existing car to do it. With the information in hand, he's going to make a decision. It isn't really something to go second-guess down the road. They make new cars every day. And they will always have C5 Z's.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
That does look awesome. The big question when you decided to sell your 04Z06 did you start second guessing yourself. I think we all go thru this. It’s like you get attached to a car for a long time then you are not sure weather to sell it or not. The op has a nice C5 and wonder if he will have sellers remorse if he sells his C5 and moves up to a C6 or C7.
you can also think about it this way. Back when he went to buy his 04 Z, and he was driving a Camry XLE or something like that, did he take the same risk of seller's remorse when he moved up? Because he's going to have to do it again if he decides to buy a newer nicer Corvette. You just never know, maybe that 04 Z will turn out to be a piece of **** and the Camry XLE will smoke it in the quarter mile. It is a risk you take LOL. Turns out, the Camry was not half the car the 04 Z was. So now he has to make a decision if GM has really turned up the heat on the Y body line. Did eight more years or 15 of engineering, really make a big difference? Is it really worth it?

​​​​​​​ you can see where I was headed
Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Well put!! Yes I see myself possibly moving up. I know it want be till spring. Also K-Spaz. Your car is awesome looking.

Last edited by ZO6 cracker; 10-11-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:14 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I guess I’m nuts, but driving a friend’s C6GS convinced me to stay with my C5.
redzg (10-13-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 10:36 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chasboy
I guess I’m nuts, but driving a friend’s C6GS convinced me to stay with my C5.
Not nuts at all. I also have a friend with a GS and drove it many times. In fact I drove it before he did. For $0 I could keep my C5 and continue driving it. I liked his car and it was nice, but not remotely justifiable at the time. And in some ways I preferred my C5. My convertible top was a hell of a lot faster than his power top. My car had more horsepower. I had a urethane suspension kit and my car I felt handled better. He had nicer brakes. He had driven my car many times and mine actually inspired him to buy a Vette. I had also driven his many times, once he got it. But I still loved my C5, and for good reason.

From day one I preferred the look of the C6. But there are people who feel the same way about the C5 lines and prefer that. Or the pop-up headlights or whatever. They're both pretty awesome cars.

you're allowed to change your mind down the road too. You can even buy a C2 or C3 if you like, nobody's going to mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by K-Spaz:
chasboy (10-11-2018), redzg (10-13-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 07:52 AM
dizzles
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I miss my C5 Z06 but my Grand Sport is def a better car my opinion in every way. I do miss the raw feeling of the C5 but the look and feel of the C6 is very enjoyable!

BAT (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 09:13 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,225 Likes on 538 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It's not that I don't like my C5, I just thought his C6GS was a lot more. That being I really like the looks of the wide body (always have), the ride quality was more comfortable (I could change mine too, to something other than C6Z06 shocks and not having it lowered all the way on the stock bolts), the performance was much more too (again, I could cam, supercharge/turbo, etc). The C6 has bigger/better brakes too, sounded phenomenal (inside the cab too, I've hear it plenty outside the cab). Even thought I have the Corsa Extreme on mine and think it sounds better on the outside, the tone inside the cab was better, IMO. Who knows, when the time comes, I may opt for a C7! In a perfect world, like K-spaz said, I'd keep all the cool cars I've had. Financially I just can't do that, plus I don't have the room! The one car I still wished I kept was a 1998 Grand Prix GTP we bought as a demo. That was my first "nice" car. Other than that, I know I can always go back and get something similar if I liked/missed it that much. But doing that, I'll never know if I like something more. One thing is for sure, no more base models. I'm tired of playing catch up!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:46 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BAT
One thing is for sure, no more base models. I'm tired of playing catch up!
Ya know, other than the appearance, a C6 Base 08 or newer w/Z51 package, really has most of everything anybody could want in a Vette. The Z51 wasn't a prohibitive expensive option, so it's not like that's some rare combo or big buck add on when considering used. You've got the swaybars and brakes, and an LS3. The rest you can work with for the same money as modding any other vette.

Same applies to the C5 really. It's not hard to find the bigger swaybars and stick on a better brake kit. And I'm not talking about spending uber bucks on brakes, just upgrading them to something nicer. Even the stock brakes in good working order are pretty nice.

If a base C6 was what I thought I could afford, I wouldn't hesitate a minute about getting one. Did the same when I got my C5. Found what I thought was the best deal for me and jumped on it.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:40 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

My problem is I have Jay Leno taste in cars without a garage or the $$$. I’ve always wanted to have an ‘older’ car to fool with and KEEP for a long time. After living with this car for awhile I decided this would be the one. Besides, my DW actually likes it.
I also think it’s human (carguy) nature to want the latest and greatest and I’m not immune to that either, but when wants to control their budget, decisions have to be made. With this car I can pretty much do what I want, since most of what I like to do is not overly expensive. (I just splurged on Radioflyer’s Bi-Xenons)
I’ve always dreaded driving a C6 or C7 because I was afraid of: “What if I like it better but can’t afford it?” I’ve had 2 ‘confirmation drives’. First was when I had driven what was to be my ‘02Z but wanted to try others. Heard there was a nice c5 at a local dealer but when I got there it had just been sold. Salesman offered a drive of a ‘11 c6 base. DW said why not? I drove it, got back in our car and told DW I would be calling the seller of the Z immediately . I found it to be unexciting in many ways. I never felt that way with the Z.
Fast forward to about a month ago after driving my friend’s GS. It was very nice, but I found it to be (to me, not bashing anyone here!) heavy, cumbersome, confined and not overly comfortable. I loved his MGW shifter which is why I have one now.
What this did for me, and its different for everyone, was give me confidence in my decision to keep this C5 and have fun with it in the manner I’ve been for 2 years now. It may seem silly, but that test drive gave me relief.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:23 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

^^^ chasboy,

As I said, I wanted a C6 from day one. Looked at a new 13 and was in the chair ready to sign. Didn't do it. I had a couple reasons. At the time, I was living on a farm with a dirt driveway. Nice driveway (boy did that cost me) but still dirt. Didn't really have room to keep a Vette. Lots of room, just not a proper building for keeping a nice car clean and all. I was storing my C5 at work inside the building, and my drive to and from passed 2 limestone quarries. (read: Trucks dropping gravel on the road for 8 miles). My car got some stone chips, no matter how well I avoided following close. Cars going the other way were unavoidable. Fast forward, I bought a house on the other side of work and no longer drive that nasty rock-covered road. New house has a huge garage, in addition to outbuildings. 1.5 years went by and I decided to buy a C6.

If there's something I miss, I'd say the ability to drive the car many places I can't go now. I scrape the splitter at the bank drive thru. I can't imagine people with lowered cars and what a pita that must be. Mine hits on the streets, hits coming in the parking lot at work, it hits everywhere. At a friends house the other day, (he owns the 10 GS), I had to have him move vehicles so I could get in the driveway. I needed more angle, and it still scraped. I'm about ready to rip the splitter right off the thing. :

I think I'm turning into a waxer.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Don't ever drive a C-7
Old 10-12-2018, 02:18 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Don't ever drive a C-7
I've purposely avoided it thus far.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Don't ever drive a C-7

I drove a number of them. Just not my cup of tea. Far too many electronic gadgets. The dash reminded me of a video game. The looks were the deal killer for me. I just don't like it.

Get notified of new replies

To Drove a C6 Grand Sport, now I want one

Old 10-12-2018, 07:38 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Mcrider
I drove a number of them. Just not my cup of tea. Far too many electronic gadgets. The dash reminded me of a video game. The looks were the deal killer for me. I just don't like it.
Having not driven one, I do like the C7 and I’d gladly own one, but only if I won it in a raffle.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:10 PM
jpm995
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Some really great comments. I bought a '02 z06, would have liked a c6z but the price difference was too much. I'm more than happy with the c5 but i suspect i would have been happy with the c6. The C5 z coupe look to me is one of the classic all time designs.Just wish i could have driven a c6 z06. Is the extra power that feelable?
Old 10-12-2018, 09:45 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

My friend who I purchased my ‘02Z from bought an ‘08 Z06. He didn’t keep it that long, liked the ‘raw’ feel of the ‘02 better and was intimidated by the 505hp. This is from a very long time Corvette/hot rod owner/gearhead. He’s no rookie, so his opinion is relevant.

Quick Reply: Drove a C6 Grand Sport, now I want one