Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer ruined my C5 ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 09:02 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

13 years as a dealer mechanic I will say this as I didn't read it all. Did anybody ask if the mechanic cleaned up his mess on his own. As a mechanic even if I have my fender covers on to protect it some grease, dust, or what ever gets on the car. Some mechanics will do a wipe down with what ever they have. Ill admit yes I have done that many of times to customers cars with old rags and water. I will hand it off to the porter and he does what he does.
The following 2 users liked this post by bravo29:
CorvetteBrent (10-12-2018), CraigA (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 09:40 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Using your point, what happens when the dealer says fine and sends the car over to their detail shop or body shop and buffs away the swirls? That takes a couple of hours and costs the dealer maybe $50. The OP's shop wants hundreds for something that evidently offered no protection to begin with. What would the dealer be paying for?
The dealer would be reimbursing the OP for the paint correction he had done before he took the car to the dealer, since they destroyed it...I would not let the dealer touch the paint...
Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
The dealer would be reimbursing the OP for the paint correction he had done before he took the car to the dealer, since they destroyed it...I would not let the dealer touch the paint...
Why? The dealer with a multi-million dollar business and a professional body shop is somehow less competent than some guy working out of an abandoned service station? How do you personally know that? The dealer is supposed to take out his checkbook and write an open amount for something that obviously doesn't seem to have been worth a damn to begin with if one wash job can destroy it. That would not be good business but rather stupid business.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:54 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Why? The dealer with a multi-million dollar business and a professional body shop is somehow less competent than some guy working out of an abandoned service station? How do you personally know that? The dealer is supposed to take out his checkbook and write an open amount for something that obviously doesn't seem to have been worth a damn to begin with if one wash job can destroy it. That would not be good business but rather stupid business.
Because maybe the OP likes the person who did his paint correction. Why should he be forced to use the dealer's paint shop?

The following users liked this post:
CraigA (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Because maybe the OP likes the person who did his paint correction. Why should he be forced to use the dealer's paint shop?
First of all, it is pure conjecture. But, my money my terms. You can't stay in business paying hundreds for something your people can do for fifty.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:04 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,208 Posts

SSTG (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:04 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

First of all, it is pure conjecture. But, my money my terms. You can't stay in business paying hundreds for something your people can do for fifty.
Wrong. My car, my terms. If they don't want to pay big bucks for screwing something up, then they shouldn't be screwing things up...
Old 10-12-2018, 11:26 AM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Wrong. My car, my terms. If they don't want to pay big bucks for screwing something up, then they shouldn't be screwing things up...
You’re wasting your breathe with this guy. He doubts the durability of the Coating when it’s been proven the OP’s Daily driver was coated with the EXACT same Coating and is still flawless after a year of bad weather, hand washes and Sun damage.
He wants to stand behind the Dealer (because he is one himself. I’ve read in other threads of his that he sells cars) stating one wash shouldn’t do this. I’ve challenged him to wash his “coated” vehicle with dirty rags and dry the car with dirty rags in the same way a young inexperienced, underpaid, overworked porter would.

I’ve yet to see the video.

I’ve also asked him to call me since he claims to have detailed tens of thousands of vehicles and point out how “he” could have done it better. Surprise, no call.

I’ve offered the OP my help in this situation MANY times and he the OP has stated in this thread my credibility and my professionalism. The Coating is not the issue. It helps protect against swirls NOT stop them. Nothing can do that completely.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:33 AM
CraigA
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This continues to be kind of entertaining to me, albeit at my own expense. I understand the questions regarding the ceramic coating and the durability or protection of these products. Elsewhere in this thread, I've posted snippets from the c-quartz website that answer some of these questions. Visiting the c-quartz website (which is the product used in this case) will answer any additional questions. Or, a phone call to them would, as well.

While the thread isn't about the coating, it does have something to do with what I want as a solution. The coating likely taking the brunt of the swirling, it will need to be removed. The body shop manager told me, and I quote, "Yeah, I asked around here, and none of us have ever heard of a ceramic coating". This doesn't inspire confidence.

The detailer who I work with, and who has posted in this thread, as well, has offered up his services to work with the employees of the "multi-million dollar" dealership body shop to help ensure they perform this task correctly. As he stated above, he has offered to help me multiple times, and gone above and beyond as I don't hold him at all accountable. His work is not the issue here. The coating is not the issue here. The dealership is the issue here.

None of this matters, however, as the dealership continues to deny washing the vehicle. This means that having this car worked on at the detailer of my choice or the dealership's own body shop isn't being discussed. That makes the above discussions about this a bit moot.

Again - just be more careful than I was.

Last edited by CraigA; 10-12-2018 at 11:36 AM.
ArmchairArchitect (10-14-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:40 AM
CraigA
Advanced

It could be that you're responding to someone else on this thread. However, I don't recall ever giving an opinion as to whether or not I would or would not allow the dealership to attempt to repair this. I also am unclear as to why it would be anyone's opinion that the detailer who did the original work to my car, and my truck, works out of abandoned service station. That seems to be a bit of a personal attack towards a member of this forum is has done respected work for more than one member. My point is simply that I'd prefer to keep things like that out of this thread.

SSTG (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 AM
CraigA
Advanced

Using your point, what happens when the dealer says fine and sends the car over to their detail shop or body shop and buffs away the swirls? That takes a couple of hours and costs the dealer maybe $50. The OP's shop wants hundreds for something that evidently offered no protection to begin with. What would the dealer be paying for?
To this comment, the dealership body shop did provide an estimate for repair. It was much more than a "couple of hours" and the cost was far north of "maybe $50".
Old 10-12-2018, 11:50 AM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

First of all the Dealer has offered ZERO support for the OP. They’ve given him the run around for several months with no help. He is rightfully nervous to have them “buff away the swirls” with the damage inflicted while washing the car. Finally, the Dealer said they’ve never even heard of a Ceramic coating but yet the OP should just let them have their way with his car again?

Please, just stop. You’ve made your point, wether anyone agrees with it or not doesn’t help the OP in the slightest. If you want to offer your services to repair the Dealerships damage then keep talking. If not, please stop.
The following 3 users liked this post by SSTG:
ArmchairArchitect (10-14-2018), CraigA (10-12-2018), FYRARMS (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

I don't care what kind of coating or polish or wax jobs that were done to a car. If my car came back from a dealer looking like the op described, I don't care if it was my vette or any one of my cars i would be pissed. I do my cars my self with Zanio and they would be compensating me for my time and product used.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fcar 98:
ArmchairArchitect (10-14-2018), CraigA (10-12-2018), FYRARMS (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 PM
jpm995
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Seems to me it's time to go over the dealers head on this. Before i tried trashing the dealer on social media i would go up the GM chain of command. Maybe by bringing the issue to a regional level [not sure who that is] or corporate will get this dealer to assist you. He should take some responsibility.

Last edited by jpm995; 10-12-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 PM
CraigA
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpm995
Seems to me it's time to go over the dealers head on this. Before i tried trashing the dealer on social media i would go up the GM chain of command. Maybe by bringing the issue to a regional level [not sure who that is] or corporate will get this dealer to assist you. He should take some responsibility.
You might be right.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:16 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jpm995
GM has no responsibility to this situation and has no authority. It is not a warranty claim and GM dealerships are privately owned entities.
The Rabbi (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 12:43 AM
Scottchester
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lines in the photos are the roof of a building. Look at the clouds cut off, you can see the inside corner of a building.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer ruined my C5 ceramic coating

Old 10-14-2018, 02:57 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

If the dealer has any sense at all he will offer split the bill with you to have your guy fix it and the dealer and you can move on. I was a dealer and the last thing I wanted was to have an angry customer.
CraigA (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 05:12 PM
CraigA
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
If the dealer has any sense at all he will offer split the bill with you to have your guy fix it and the dealer and you can move on. I was a dealer and the last thing I wanted was to have an angry customer.
I likely would have settled for that. But - we aren't even close to a resolution. They would like for me to go away.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:22 PM
lt1redvettegc
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's what I want to know, I don't think it been mentioned...
Did you pay in full for the mechanical work performed on the harmonic balancer or did you withhold funds? If they had your credit card did you deny the charge?

Quick Reply: Dealer ruined my C5 ceramic coating