Sponsored by:

[Z06] RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Waterfreak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake?

I've read a lot of posts on here regarding different types of air intakes, but I haven't found any comments on RM Racings Twin Tube Air Intake and I wonder why. It is a product that is "officially licensed" by GM (whatever that means). Anyway, I bought one and put it on last night. I then removed the negative terminal to the battery and replaced it to reset the computer. I then took it for a test drive and noticed a few things. It took a little while for the computer to dial it in correctly (or seemed to; I've seen the discussion about the computer learning and adjusting and even though there is no documentation for it, I am convinced that it does in fact monitor and adjust). Then, the first thing I noticed is that there was better throttle response and it was "smoother." Then I noticed that there was more torque and it lasted through a larger portion of the power band. Then I noticed that YOU DON'T HAVE TO ASK HER TWICE! TELL HER TO GO AND SHE DON'T TALK BACK! Wow. Amazing difference when paired with the Vortex Power Duct. I'm very impressed. So, why aren't more people using it? I think it also looks so much nicer than the Vararam system (own personal taste). :eek:
Old 10-27-2002, 10:24 AM
Ram Air Tony
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (Waterfreak)

I've read a lot of posts on here regarding different types of air intakes, but I haven't found any comments on RM Racings Twin Tube Air Intake and I wonder why. It is a product that is "officially licensed" by GM (whatever that means). Anyway, I bought one and put it on last night. I then removed the negative terminal to the battery and replaced it to reset the computer. I then took it for a test drive and noticed a few things. It took a little while for the computer to dial it in correctly (or seemed to; I've seen the discussion about the computer learning and adjusting and even though there is no documentation for it, I am convinced that it does in fact monitor and adjust). Then, the first thing I noticed is that there was better throttle response and it was "smoother." Then I noticed that there was more torque and it lasted through a larger portion of the power band. Then I noticed that YOU DON'T HAVE TO ASK HER TWICE! TELL HER TO GO AND SHE DON'T TALK BACK! Wow. Amazing difference when paired with the Vortex Power Duct. I'm very impressed. So, why aren't more people using it? I think it also looks so much nicer than the Vararam system (own personal taste). :eek:
back in the OLD days.....we studied all the intakes and the twin flow was deemed to be not as good due to the turbulence it caused when the two airstreams met, causing a swirling of the intake charge and which in turn caused the MAF to get some wacky readings.......

I will say, it is a NICE looking set up tho :yesnod:

hope that answers why ya dont see much talk about it here

thanks

[Modified by Ram Air Tony, 8:26 AM 10/27/2002]
Old 10-27-2002, 10:35 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (Ram Air Tony)

I agree with RAT. The Twin Flow doesn't perform as well as some of the newer designed intakes.

Old 10-27-2002, 02:15 PM
2ZS
Intermediate

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (Ram Air Tony)

I'd like to read the results of the study and the test procedures. I'm not sure which way to go on mine. From what I've read, the swirl, or vortex effect is one of the best ways to maximize air density. Other than compressing that is. The MAF may have read too much CFM.
Interesting though!
Old 10-27-2002, 06:57 PM
vettman10
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (2ZS)

I don't believe there was any real detailed testing, but I may be mistaken. And I don't buy the "turblulance" theroy either, but rather believe this was someone's impression by looking at the design, they made a post, and then it was so. I recently put the system on a friend's '02 coupe. It is a quality unit, it provided a noticable improvement in power, and it produced a significant improvement in engine sound during WOT operation. But I still have a preference to the Blackwing filter. Just my $.02.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:34 PM
bbunting
Racer

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (vettman10)

I use it. We did a swap on the chassis dyno between the stock airbridge and the Halltech, both with Twin Flo base-Halltech by 1 HP. Stock airbridge remains. Haven't tested the Twin Flo vs. Halltech Tric, Donaldson, etc
Old 10-28-2002, 04:43 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (2ZS)

I'd like to read the results of the study and the test procedures.
Me too! ;)

Don't hold your breath though.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:22 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (Tom Steele)

I recall that the twin tubes (which was one of the first aftermarket systems, way back when) were setting codes and causing some stumbling on the 97-2000 cars. But since the tubes had long ago (3 years) fallen out of favor by most forum members in comparison to the various cold air systems, we don't hear about it too much anymore on the newer cars.

I think it is a valid concern that the collision of the two airstreams could cause the MAF to act up, set codes, "go lean", etc.

Also--The "swirl" effect is for the air/fuel mixture as it enters the cylinders, to promote full vaporization/mixing of air and fuel, and to promote cylinder filling. That highly technical issue has nothing to do with possible (and possibly detrimental) air turbulence as the air hits the Mass Air Flow [MAF] sensor.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:57 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (Tracy)

I recall that the twin tubes (which was one of the first aftermarket systems, way back when) were setting codes and causing some stumbling on the 97-2000 cars. But since the tubes had long ago (3 years) fallen out of favor by most forum members in comparison to the various cold air systems, we don't hear about it too much anymore on the newer cars.

I think it is a valid concern that the collision of the two airstreams could cause the MAF to act up, set codes, "go lean", etc.
Two thoughts...

1. Wonder why GM licenses it if that is the case?
2. Wouldn't the vararam encounter the same difficulties?

Old 10-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (Tom Steele)

Tom,

1---As to why GM licenses/sells 'em.....1) money, coupled with 2) no water ingestion issues to speak of and 3) perhaps they appeal more the show & shine crowd instead of the go-fast crowd who know that true cold [ambient] air systems (of any type) work better than underhood systems. I would think we horrible hot rod hooligans generate more warranty problems than the show-goers.

2---The Vararam has an air filter that would certainly "calm" and blend the two converging airflows, whereas the Twin has filters stuck out on the end of each tube, with the convergence just ahead of the MAF. This would not be an issue for the Vara.

[Modified by Tracy, 5:26 PM 10/29/2002]
Old 10-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Waterfreak
Racer

Default Re: RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake? (Tracy)

I can't comment on whether the air "swirls" or not, but I have not had any codes trip after installation of my RM.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:14 PM
kckid
Intermediate

will one of these for a 2000 C5, fit on a 04 Z06?

Get notified of new replies

To RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake?

Quick Reply: [Z06] RM Racing Twin Tube Air Intake?