C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updating Rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 02:08 PM
Deliso1
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Updating Rear view mirror

Hey guys
I have a 99 with the old style rear view mirror and want to upgrade to the 01-04 style with the auto dimming, orange console light and led map lights. I have the Harness and mirror from an 04(Harness has plugs for mirror and visors) and would like to know if anyone knows where the harness plugs into? Just don’t want to start pulling panels off until I have a plan, Any help would be much appreciated
Old 02-05-2020, 02:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:17 AM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I would like to know where it plugs in to. Someone removed lighted one in my car so I bought wiring harness and plan on routing and reinstalling one
Old 02-07-2020, 12:58 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

For the 2001 and up cars there is a connector in the corner of the passenger A-pillar for the harness. For the 2000 and earlier cars there is no connector for this harness.
You will have to cut and splice the connector in for the new mirror.
The 2 orange wires in the harness are for different circuits, one is always on the other is powered when the doors are opened. The black wire is ground and there are I think 2 other wires that are for the auto dimming drivers mirror which is controlled by the inside rear view. Since your car does not have that feature these would not be connected to anything.

I can get the specifics for the circuits later if you want them.

Gary
Old 02-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Deliso1
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
For the 2001 and up cars there is a connector in the corner of the passenger A-pillar for the harness. For the 2000 and earlier cars there is no connector for this harness.
The 2 orange wires in the harness are for different circuits, one is always on the other is powered when the doors are opened. The black wire is ground and there are I think 2 other wires that are for the auto dimming drivers mirror which is controlled by the inside rear view. Since your car does not have that feature these would not be connected to anything.

Gary

Ahhh so I Cant just swap the harness 🤔🤔Good info thank you
Old 02-07-2020, 03:26 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC54me

Gary
Thank you very much, not trying to hijack the thread, just drafting behind the OP. I am just trying to get back the Day/night rear view mirror w/reading lamps and Dual illuminated covered visor mirrors that my 1997 supposedly came with. The previous owners removed visors and ran power for a radar detector, etc. and butchered the valance. I have replaced the valance, installed visors with lights but nowhere easily found to plug them into. I have purchased a wiring harness and will be buying a lighted mirror (no automatic dimming) and to install as well. Basically just knowing where to plug or splice things in would be great.

I need to install a blower door actuator in passenger side so figure I will take out the dash and the valance and if need be A-Pillar cover and do everything I may need to do at once while things are exposed.

Relatively new Corvette owner and realized how dark they are inside at night when the car wouldn't start (BCM issue), so figured I would try to get rear view mirror with map lights and lighted visors to help light the interior when needed.

Sorry if I butted in, but this was just the information I have been looking for.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:10 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

The 2 orange wires in the harness are circuit 740 and 640. Circuit 640 ties back to Fuse 2 and Relay 37 'Monitored Load'. This is always hot
The other orange wire circuit 740 is hot when the interior lights come on when doors are opened (Courtesy Lights, Fuse 29 Relay 42). This is hot when the doors are opened or the dimmer switch is turned fully clockwise to turn on the interior lights.

There are a couple of other wires in the harness:
* Black is Ground
* Brown is for the dim orange light on the bottom of the mirror. This light is to provide some ambient lighting over the shifter area.This is on Fuse 21 'BTSIBU'.

This information if from the 2002 Service manual. I did use this info to swap a 2000 from the standard mirror to a auto dimming mirror. I did have to cut and splice the harness to make the change.

Let me know if you need any more info

Gary
Old 02-08-2020, 10:11 AM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I put the newer rear view mirror in with splicing the wires, but not happy with the mounting to the original windshield. The mirror shakes somewhat unless I didn't force
it downward enough. Lights all work but want it stable.

Jim

Last edited by BRAVO1; 02-08-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Deliso1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BRAVO1
I put the newer rear view mirror in with splicing the wires, but not happy with the mounting to the original windshield. The mirror shakes somewhat unless I didn't force
it downward enough. Lights all work but want it stable.

Jim
sounds like you didn’t force it down enough
Old 02-08-2020, 05:29 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Yeah, not seated properly.

Gary
Old 02-08-2020, 05:53 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks I didn't want to crack the windshield....I'll try when the weather breaks.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:22 PM
Deliso1
Instructor

I

spliced in the newer plug and all is well, Thanks for all the help here

Get notified of new replies

To Updating Rear view mirror

Quick Reply: Updating Rear view mirror