Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy your Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 03:32 PM
LimaCharlie
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I was nine years old when my sister and I saw a brand new 1956 black Corvette and I fell in love. I told her I was going to buy a black one when I grew up. She said she was going to get a pink Thunderbird. We made a bet for a quarter on who would get ours first. They quit making Thunderbirds and she never got one. My first Corvette was a 1976 painted Black Cherry and I installed a ZZ-4 crate engine, headers, and dual exhaust with 18" glass packs. My second was a Nassau Blue 1997 coupe. My current one is a Jetstream Blue 2011 convertible. I still have to buy a black Corvette to get my quarter.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:40 PM
lonerider2002
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I really wasn't looking for one but I was out riding my Sportster one day( I bought it for my 50th B-day present to me ) and saw a 2003 black coupe on a used car lot and thought I'd stop and take it for a drive just for the hell of it--never drove one before, never really even thought about it. It was a hot day and I figured a little air conditioned drive would be a good idea. The dealer was really nice and told me he was selling it for a friend who had cancer and wasn't able to enjoy it anymore-very sad. Anyway, he told me to take it for a drive and to take my time. The car only had 43K on it and was in great cond. just stock/auto, nothing fancy. After about an hour of cruising I started to see what the excitement was all about and thought to myself that life was too short and I deserved a ride like this. I was driving a 1994 Mitsu 3000GT at the time but this was night and day.--The bug bit me hard--Had to have one. After a bit of research about the C5 and looking around for over 6 months I knew exactly what I wanted and found it near Wash DC, about 4 hrs north from where I live-- a 2002 Speedway White coupe with gray leather int. only 87K on the clock and just installed BB Bullets( just a classy looking car). Made a deal I thought was fair trading in the 3000GT and without even a test drive( it was an Easter weekend on a Sat in Washington--no way I was taking her out in that madness) so I drove her home. This was my 60th B-day present to me( I have a very understanding wife). I haven't looked back and it's been almost 6 years and quite a few upgrades/repairs/add-ons/cuss words, etc...yet the love affair continues.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:01 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie
... I still have to buy a black Corvette to get my quarter.
Sounds like reason enough to me!

Originally Posted by lonerider2002
I really wasn't looking for one but I was out riding my Sportster one day( I bought it for my 50th B-day present to me ) and saw a 2003 black coupe on a used car lot and thought I'd stop and take it for a drive just for the hell of it--never drove one before, never really even thought about it. It was a hot day and I figured a little air conditioned drive would be a good idea. The dealer was really nice and told me he was selling it for a friend who had cancer and wasn't able to enjoy it anymore-very sad. Anyway, he told me to take it for a drive and to take my time. The car only had 43K on it and was in great cond. just stock/auto, nothing fancy. After about an hour of cruising I started to see what the excitement was all about and thought to myself that life was too short and I deserved a ride like this. I was driving a 1994 Mitsu 3000GT at the time but this was night and day.--The bug bit me hard--Had to have one. After a bit of research about the C5 and looking around for over 6 months I knew exactly what I wanted and found it near Wash DC, about 4 hrs north from where I live-- a 2002 Speedway White coupe with gray leather int. only 87K on the clock and just installed BB Bullets( just a classy looking car). Made a deal I thought was fair trading in the 3000GT and without even a test drive( it was an Easter weekend on a Sat in Washington--no way I was taking her out in that madness) so I drove her home. This was my 60th B-day present to me( I have a very understanding wife). I haven't looked back and it's been almost 6 years and quite a few upgrades/repairs/add-ons/cuss words, etc...yet the love affair continues.
I'm glad I didn't wait that long. I was in my 40s, and the truth is, it's been one of the least expensive car ownerships I've had. Even with a TON of nickel and dime things and a bunch of mods.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Sportsman2003
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 41 Posts

I was driving a 2012 Subaru STI and was into import cars. I had a buddy that had a 03 Z06 at that time. He ended up needing to sell the car. He approached me about buying it at an incredibly low price even then I sort of balked at the Z. I thought Vette's were for the older crowd.HA HA. After a couple days of badgering me about the car my buddy talked me into driving it. I took the car out and within a couple block I knew what to do. We kept driving to the bank and I bought my first Vette! it has been super fun and a great car. Within a month of owning it I sold the STI it seemed slow after the Z.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 04:32 PM
VFR RC46
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Some drunk old lady rear ended my car and totaled it. Then I asked my friends in our group chat, "okay guys I need a car for about 12,000 that isn't terrible". They all said C5 Corvette and here I am. I always loved corvettes, especially the c5, I just didn't realize how obtainable it actually was.

Last edited by VFR RC46; 10-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:19 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

It is one of the koolist cars on th road and I fell for the most distinctive roof line of the bunch.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:37 PM
yetman
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
I bought mine because I needed a cheap beater that was good on gas so I could avoid putting miles on my 1992 Toyota pickup.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

I started getting interested in cars around age 12. First it was Mustangs. Then at age 13 or 14 my parents bought a new Chevy Astro (how cool is that?). We all went to the Chevy dealer to get the paperwork done and pick the van up. In the showroom were 3 C5 Corvettes, one coupe, one Z06 and one vert. They must have been 2001s or 2002s. I quickly changed my mind about Mustangs. Ever since I've been reading about Corvettes, building model Corvettes, using Corvettes almost exclusively in racing video games, and once I got my license I spent an embarrasing amount of time trying to convince Chevy salesmen to let me take one for a test drive (by then they were C6's). Finally at age 30 I realized that not only was a well maintained C5 (my corvette "genesis") affordable to me... it was VERY affordable. So the hunt began and within a month or two I had found my car, a black 6 speed coupe just like the one I saw in the showroom all those years ago (though a few years older, mines a 99).

The look catches your eye, then along the way you learn more and more about the car and the passion behind it. You learn that if you put a corvette of almost any given year against a car that cost twice as much in the same year, it will at least keep up, if not win. Sure its not a fancy flatplane DOHC V8 and sure it isn't produced in minuscule 1000 car per year production numbers. But somehow it still manages to be more exciting, at least to me, than something much more expensive.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dleibman
Has been my favorite car since seeing it on Bonanza TV show commercials as a kid and Route 66.
Same here.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:17 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

I was looking for a 10 year old commuter car that was under $20K and only had 20K miles. Needed good gas mileage too.

At least that's what I told my wife.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:22 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

I bought my first of 8 Corvettes (a 68 vert) in my early 20's. My buddies bought new Oldsmobiles and Buicks and suffered big depreciation. I flipped Corvettes every few years and drove them for almost nothing. As I aged and money didn't seem so important I waited to buy my current 02 vert because it was exactly what I wanted. Some earlier Corvettes were just good bargains or investments although I wished I kept a few of them..
Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I couldn't fit in a YUGO, so the corvette was my next option.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:03 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

When I got out of High school,I really wanted a C4,At that time the most unbelievable sports car I have ever seen. 1 C4 later I am now on my 2nd C5. The best sports car dollar for dollar.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:16 PM
C5wilts
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
I couldn't fit in a YUGO, so the corvette was my next option.
that’s what I’m saying we drive them for the love of them I see too many ugly mustangs on the road not enough corvettes
Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I needed a car and I have always driven sports cars. For my budget there were lots of options and I considered them all but I also wanted performance. Miatas are fantastic sports cars but don’t have the power. In the end I had two options, a C5 or a 944 turbo. Love them both but a good 944 turbo is hard to find and C5s are all over the place. Also much cheaper to maintain and modify. My experience with my C4 ZR-1 was awesome so that all tipped the scale in favor of the corvette. It was a good choice.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,312 Likes on 1,606 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Because i was going to leave it stock so id have something enjoyable to drive while my racecar was down... and then... as things go... it became my racecar and the viscous cycle continues... "well maybe exhaust wont hurt" "may as well do a cam" "$2800 for a used vortech kit? how could I not" "crap... i need another fun car to drive when this ones broke"
Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 AM
jamesbii
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a family car. Bought new by my uncle in 1999, sold to my father in 2014 and purchased by me in 2018. I've always had an appreciation for American muscle and sports car, but I didn't realize how freakin fun this car was until I actually got behind the wheel. At almost 20 years old, she's got her fair share of issues, but makes up for it in style and sheer fun. Another reason I bought her....she's got the sweetest ***.

Get notified of new replies

To Why did you buy your Corvette

Old 10-17-2018, 11:35 AM
eduncan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track day

because it is an excellent HPDE car.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:23 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I did not remember it in commercials on Bonanza, but I do remember Route 66!
Even before that, I liked Corvettes. For years my uncle had a Chevrolet dealership just outside of Indianapolis and I remember going there for each model year presentation. I can't say I remember for sure the first one in 1953, but I do remember them from about 1955 and later. I always liked the styling that would seem quite advanced at the time each new generation came out (although by the end of each generation they didn't seem as "fashion forward").
I drove my first one in 1966 and enjoyed the performance (both speed and handling) compared to other cars of the time. I also drove my first GT350, and 289 Cobra in 1966; that was a great toss up as to which I considered better at the time.
Enjoyed my first Corvette drive in 1966, and still enjoy driving Corvettes today so guess that has to be why we have a Corvette now!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:29 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Best bang for the buck. Could never afford to buy a good GTO or rebuild one..so it was a vette.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your Corvette