Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting on a Loan app for '02

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

If you can afford it, why would your wife deny your happiness?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:35 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm a bit confused. Is your wife dead set against just this particular car, or is she against you getting a car as a play toy altogether? My wife never likes me getting any play toys. She doesn't understand the guys and their play toys thing. Never has. I get them anyway and we've been together for 32 years, so I guess we've got something going there...
Old 10-30-2018, 08:48 AM
suseuser
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by USAZR1
FWIW, my wife doesn't like Corvettes, either. She obviously has some kind of a mental block about them. I just purchased a 2002 Z06 and she's not real "enthused" about it. We have only been married for 9yrs but I made it clear before marriage, that I was a lifelong gearhead and wouldn't change for her or anyone else. My ex-wife and I were married for 33yrs and she loved these cars, especially my ZR-1's. We attended events all over the country.

Just remember, it's always easier to ask forgiveness, than permission, and if you have been a good husband, you shouldn't need to ask permission to do something you have been waiting to do, for so long.
Now you hit on something she loves. Going to Meet-ups. She loves riding our touring bikes to rallies all over the Western United States. We both ride our own Honda ST1300's. We belong to several riding groups. She loves any excuse to go for a ride. We have a lot of friends that have gotten older and have gone to trikes. We both agree that trikes will never be our thing. And when we can't ride we would go with a small convertible.

No offense to the convertible guys, but I just don't like a "rag top". But, I do like a T-Top or the removable Targa tops. The one I'm interested in has the clear sunroof style Targa that is awesome.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:20 AM
suseuser
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by grampi50
I'm a bit confused. Is your wife dead set against just this particular car, or is she against you getting a car as a play toy altogether? My wife never likes me getting any play toys. She doesn't understand the guys and their play toys thing. Never has. I get them anyway and we've been together for 32 years, so I guess we've got something going there...
I think it really is more of a money issue to her. It's no real burden on our finances. As a matter of fact I just got a raise. If I add 1 extra shift a month, it would cover the loan and insurance with $100 left over. Personally, I never stop her from buying or doing anything. I don't resent the fact that she want's things. I get it. She wants and deserves nice things. I understand this purchase is totally impractical. But, sometimes that's what puts the extra something to look forward to at the end of the day.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (11-06-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 11:55 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by suseuser

My wife has always driven a turbocharged vehicle. She has a lead foot and likes to go fast. We had a WRX STi the first year they came out. And multiple turbocharged Forresters. The last Forrester was the special limited edition rally blue STi model.

Our last new vehicle was a Dodge Challenger SRT. She loved the power and it was the beautiful sublime green. But it sat in the garage for 3 months because of deep snow. The romance was over for her. So maybe it’s an AWD thing.
Has she had a chance to drive this Corvette? Or any Corvette? If she has a "lead foot", she may be very surprised at C5 performance when compared toa Subi....

Do you know anything about the history of the car? Any available service records? With the car going on 17 years old and 83K on the clock, it may be that it could use some maintenance stuff. For example, change all the fluids, replace radiator hoses and coolant. serp belt and A/C compressor belt. Are the brakes in good shape? Tires? I just went thru getting new tires for my 02 and wound up spending over $1500 for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. You mentioned some paint crazing; you may want to get some estimates for fixing that.
So while the asking price may be reasonable, it could turn out that you may wind up spending a few thousand more to get the car safe and dependable and how it looks.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:49 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

I think that the price is too high for the mileage. Since you'll be keeping it a long time get a low mileage one. Just be patient and wait for the right one. Unfortunately your wife isn't interested sooooo you have a problem. She needs to give you a good reason to be against it.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Doons
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it really is more of a money issue to her. It's no real burden on our finances. As a matter of fact I just got a raise. If I add 1 extra shift a month, it would cover the loan and insurance with $100 left over. Personally, I never stop her from buying or doing anything. I don't resent the fact that she want's things. I get it. She wants and deserves nice things. I understand this purchase is totally impractical. But, sometimes that's what puts the extra something to look forward to at the end of the day.
What is working for me, is my approach. Initially, I got the same reaction you did... "NO"..... I let it simmer for a few days and then we had a sit down. She thought now was a bad time, maybe in a couple years when we've gotten some house upgrades finished..... OK, so I started showing her pictures of cars (most on this site) that I liked. Told her how good she would look in it, pointed them out on the street, talked about the cruising we would do in Arkansas in the spring and fall. Ask her how great it would be to take it to the all the places I have ridden my motorcycles..... I now know which color Vette she likes (Machine Silver, Black and Yellow), that it can't be all noisy (works for me) and she really wants a vert. She also thinks those Z06 Spyder wheels are "pretty". I have Fridays's off and she will ask me on Friday morning if I going to drive another Vette today. This last weekend while just shooting the breeze, without thinking she said how nice it would be if we had it next year to take to Arkansas for the changing of the colors.... Alrighty then, we have gone from "NO" to 2 years to next fall....... moving in the correct direction. Nest step, test drive on a Saturday where I can take the car by the house and take her for a ride. With a little luck it will happen this winter and she will pay for part of it... OH wait, can't get greedy.... strike that last part....

See if you can get her involved in the dream.

Good luck, it's a process sometimes.... OK, most of the time.....

Last edited by Doons; 10-30-2018 at 01:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doons:
CorvetteBrent (11-06-2018), Not4spd (11-04-2018), suseuser (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Doons
Heel & Toe

Dupe

Last edited by Doons; 10-30-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:59 PM
suseuser
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
I think that the price is too high for the mileage. Since you'll be keeping it a long time get a low mileage one. Just be patient and wait for the right one. Unfortunately your wife isn't interested sooooo you have a problem. She needs to give you a good reason to be against it.
I’ve done quite a bit of research online and couldn’t find a better deal anywhere. The only deal-breaker is that it has to be yellow and not be a convertible.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:06 PM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

I’ve done quite a bit of research online and couldn’t find a better deal anywhere. The only deal-breaker is that it has to be yellow and not be a convertible.
Patience is the key. I also wanted yellow, and it took me 3mos. to find the right one. It was over 200 miles from my home, but it was exactly what I wanted. As we get further into winter more deals will be popping up. But be careful, I'm afraid a lot of water damaged cars will be showing up after the hurricanes.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:15 PM
suseuser
Heel & Toe

Something I did forget to mention is that I could hear a lot of road noise. Not loud rattles or valve train noise or squeaks. And the ride is a lot firmer than I’m used to. It actually reminded me of the WRX STi which has more of a sport suspension and it was almost impossible to listen to the radio at highway speeds! I’m thinking the road noise issue is probably normal for a Vette. Also that 1 to 4 shift seems unnatural. It doesn’t actually lug the motor. But you can tell you skipped some gears.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:22 PM
suseuser
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ramets
Patience is the key. I also wanted yellow, and it took me 3mos. to find the right one. It was over 200 miles from my home, but it was exactly what I wanted. As we get further into winter more deals will be popping up. But be careful, I'm afraid a lot of water damaged cars will be showing up after the hurricanes.
I have to agree there is a definite emotional connection to the vehicle. But if I didn’t buy this one. I would look at another one that has the exact same features. The only thing that it’s missing is the Z06 package. That’s not a real deal-breaker. No one ever has enough power.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

Something I did forget to mention is that I could hear a lot of road noise. Not loud rattles or valve train noise or squeaks. And the ride is a lot firmer than I’m used to. It actually reminded me of the WRX STi which has more of a sport suspension and it was almost impossible to listen to the radio at highway speeds! I’m thinking the road noise issue is probably normal for a Vette. Also that 1 to 4 shift seems unnatural. It doesn’t actually lug the motor. But you can tell you skipped some gears.
The road noise and harsh ride is probably those horrible run flats. I couldn't get those off mine fast enough.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:54 PM
Doons
Heel & Toe

I have to agree there is a definite emotional connection to the vehicle. But if I didn’t buy this one. I would look at another one that has the exact same features. The only thing that it’s missing is the Z06 package. That’s not a real deal-breaker. No one ever has enough power.
So go do that. "This One", is this the first Vette you have driven in your search? If so, you have nothing to compare it too. You have no way of knowing if the sounds you are hearing are normal or not. No way to know if the brakes should feel that way or if the radio coming on when you set the cruise control is normal...The suggestion, which was given to me by a very wise and often drunken friend, "drive a bunch of those suckers so you can tell a good one from a bad one". Not bad advice, even considering the source. I am on test drive #6.... Puzzle is coming together....

Last edited by Doons; 10-30-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:52 PM
soofrsh
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My wife wasn't very keen on the idea of me having a corvette in our 1st year of marriage, but I paid cash and showed up with it. Luckily she understands that this is something I'm passionate about so I get some leeway there and also her dad has a vert c5 as well, so more bonding time with the family lol. Still have the vette to this day and its more of a toy now than a daily driver when I first purchased it.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:27 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Now you hit on something she loves. Going to Meet-ups. She loves riding our touring bikes to rallies all over the Western United States. We both ride our own Honda ST1300's. We belong to several riding groups. She loves any excuse to go for a ride. We have a lot of friends that have gotten older and have gone to trikes. We both agree that trikes will never be our thing. And when we can't ride we would go with a small convertible.

No offense to the convertible guys, but I just don't like a "rag top". But, I do like a T-Top or the removable Targa tops. The one I'm interested in has the clear sunroof style Targa that is awesome.
A vert is much easier to put down than T tops or a targa, takes about 5 seconds and you are good to go. Also much less turbulence from what I’ve read? but I have never had a ride in a targa, my buddy has a C6 with a targa and I’ve yet to get a ride in it with the top off, too much hassle I guess..........Maybe it’s the color she doesn’t like.

Anyhow good luck
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (11-06-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 09:12 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Don't sell trikes short. I rode bikes for 40yrs, before my wife and I purchased our first trike, a 2006 Boss Hoss, back in 2008. About three years ago, Hannigan converted our 2011 Street Glide and we absolutely love riding it. Trikes are not a step down from bikes but are only a lateral move.
My wife has been riding as long as I have and is very passionate about it. My only regret about owning a trike, is that it took so long to switch. They are a blast.

Get notified of new replies

To Waiting on a Loan app for '02

Old 10-31-2018, 02:21 PM
naturaldisaster3
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Buy the car. You won't regret it, and she can only be mad for so long.. Right? (I'm clearly not married )
Old 10-31-2018, 02:40 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

You should not take a loan out for a toy. Toys should be about 5% of your net worth tops, and you should be able to pay cash for them. Otherwise you're affecting your emergency fund, retirement, etc.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:36 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I don't know what your financial situation is, but when my wife balked at the notion of me getting a Vette, I explained my situation to her. I told her I was paying cash for mine, and the money is coming from the sale of my motorcycle, stashing away all of my overtime pay, and selling back my unused vacation time when I retire in a little over a year and a half. She thought I would be taking money from my 401K to pay for it, and I would never do that. She's okay with it now, but there's still the issue of wives never completely understanding the need for their men to have play toys...I don't think they'll ever understand that...

Quick Reply: Waiting on a Loan app for '02