C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting on a Loan app for '02

Old 11-01-2018, 11:21 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Write her a poem. Women love poems. Here's one I wrote trying to convince my wife to let me buy an RX7 shell a few months ago.

Emily, Emily, I love you so much.
Your patience is endless, your kindness too much.
My bicycle cost us, a lot more than your car,
Not by a little, but actually by quite far.
You haven't had a new car, in nearly half of a score,
While in the past 2 years, I have had four.
This Mazda has no engine, transmission, or diff,
I fear if I buy it, there will surely be a tiff.
These toys that I have, there are never enough,
I won't be satisfied, till I buy some more stuff.
Thanks for your consideration, your kindness I adore,
We both know this is a lie: but baby, please just this one more.

Actually I just told her that I wanted it and she rolled her eyes and told me how ugly it was, but to go ahead if I wanted it. I've managed our finances for so long she knows I know what I'm doing. If she likes riding motorcycles then a c5 coupe she would probably love. I think I would first try to convince her to go for a ride in one with the top off on a nice day, It would be a nice supplement to going on rides together on the bikes, and could also be used as a daily driver for you if need be.

Good luck either way, Don't let this be the hill you're willing to die on.
The following 2 users liked this post by dbgoodwin:
CorvetteBrent (11-06-2018), Doons (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Xavierbank
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Happy wife HAPPY LIFE, just saying.....
Old 11-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Doons
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin

Emily, Emily, I love you so much.
Your patience is endless, your kindness too much.
My bicycle cost us, a lot more than your car,
Not by a little, but actually by quite far.
You haven't had a new car, in nearly half of a score,
While in the past 2 years, I have had four.
This Mazda has no engine, transmission, or diff,
I fear if I buy it, there will surely be a tiff.
These toys that I have, there are never enough,
I won't be satisfied, till I buy some more stuff.
Thanks for your consideration, your kindness I adore,
We both know this is a lie: but baby, please just this one more.

That is the worst poem I have ever liked!
Old 11-01-2018, 02:19 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doons
That is the worst poem I have ever liked!
what can I say, I’m pretty good at making people like terrible things. I got my wife to like me, after all.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:04 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
I think that the price is too high for the mileage. Since you'll be keeping it a long time get a low mileage one. Just be patient and wait for the right one. Unfortunately your wife isn't interested sooooo you have a problem. She needs to give you a good reason to be against it.
That's not at all high mileage for the age and price of the car. Show us a better deal on a millennium yellow vette. Some of us actually drive these cars.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:29 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Doons
What is working for me, is my approach. Initially, I got the same reaction you did... "NO"..... I let it simmer for a few days and then we had a sit down. She thought now was a bad time, maybe in a couple years when we've gotten some house upgrades finished..... OK, so I started showing her pictures of cars (most on this site) that I liked. Told her how good she would look in it, pointed them out on the street, talked about the cruising we would do in Arkansas in the spring and fall. Ask her how great it would be to take it to the all the places I have ridden my motorcycles..... I now know which color Vette she likes (Machine Silver, Black and Yellow), that it can't be all noisy (works for me) and she really wants a vert. She also thinks those Z06 Spyder wheels are "pretty". I have Fridays's off and she will ask me on Friday morning if I going to drive another Vette today. This last weekend while just shooting the breeze, without thinking she said how nice it would be if we had it next year to take to Arkansas for the changing of the colors.... Alrighty then, we have gone from "NO" to 2 years to next fall....... moving in the correct direction. Nest step, test drive on a Saturday where I can take the car by the house and take her for a ride. With a little luck it will happen this winter and she will pay for part of it... OH wait, can't get greedy.... strike that last part....

See if you can get her involved in the dream.

Good luck, it's a process sometimes.... OK, most of the time.....
This is what I did. It didn't hurt that I got a new job that doubled my salary, and we have no children. My dream car went from "someday", to "when the house is paid off", to "ok, we can do it." Perseverance is your friend. Don't nag, but don't let her forget you want one, and have for a long time.

The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (11-06-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 05:35 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

what can I say, I’m pretty good at making people like terrible things. I got my wife to like me, after all.
You are coming out with some pretty good Zingers here, If I'm ever in NC, we need to grab a beer.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lane_viper
You are coming out with some pretty good Zingers here, If I'm ever in NC, we need to grab a beer.
Come on through, with your taste in cars you’re always welcome!

OP keep us posted on any updates. Hopefully she’ll come around soon!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by suseuser

I’ve done quite a bit of research online and couldn’t find a better deal anywhere. The only deal-breaker is that it has to be yellow and not be a convertible.
Yellow is a hard color to sell. So you should come across several, the real question of course being as you said if you can find one in your price range.

Something I did forget to mention is that I could hear a lot of road noise. Not loud rattles or valve train noise or squeaks. And the ride is a lot firmer than I’m used to. It actually reminded me of the WRX STi which has more of a sport suspension and it was almost impossible to listen to the radio at highway speeds! I’m thinking the road noise issue is probably normal for a Vette. Also that 1 to 4 shift seems unnatural. It doesn’t actually lug the motor. But you can tell you skipped some gears.
the open cargo in the back area coupled with the tires will cause a lot of road noise in Vettes.

Last edited by Not4spd; 11-04-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

Dump her!!! Find a REAL woman. A woman who will cater to YOUR wants & needs!! One who cooks, cleans and does the laundry. Why would you put up with a woman who won't honor & obey her husband without question, and without reservation. I admit now-a-days they're hard to find, but a real man wouldn't stand for it. I think what you should...….ooww!..stop...whatta ya mean what am I typing? I'm trying to give some advise...oww! quit smackin' me. Aww honey you know I'm just playin' around. Come back here...let me explain..Damn!!!!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

As long as the bills are paid and the family is taken care of I can do what I want with money.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Raycuda
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been married to my wife for 32 years. When we got married, I had a 1970 'Cuda. She knew I was a gear head. Since we were married, I have added a 1989 Mustang and a 2000 'Vette to the collection. She isn't crazy about my toys, but she has never stopped me from getting them.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:44 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

After over 100 cars including 8 Corvettes, 30 boats and a number of bikes and snowmobiles I personally believe if you can't buy it on the one payment plan you don't need it. Borrowing money to buy a depreciating asset is never a good thing.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

My wife has gotten two new cars since I got my truck. Thats how I got the vette. She felt it was my turn.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
As long as the bills are paid and the family is taken care of I can do what I want with money.
That's kind of the way I feel too. I pay ALL of the household bills, and I spoil my wife, so she really doesn't have anything to complain about, but she still does...
Old 11-05-2018, 09:27 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

I've been married for 37 years. And my wife's says absolutely not to buy it. So that question has been answered. So this definitely wouldn't be the right decision for her. Still once every couple of decades it would be nice to buy something expensive and frivolous for myself.
Wife bought my 98 for me due to I had a bad year of illness. Nice way to cheer me up
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (11-06-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Waiting on a Loan app for '02

Old 11-06-2018, 12:26 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert

A vert is much easier to put down than T tops or a targa, takes about 5 seconds and you are good to go. Also much less turbulence from what I’ve read? but I have never had a ride in a targa, my buddy has a C6 with a targa and I’ve yet to get a ride in it with the top off, too much hassle I guess..........Maybe it’s the color she doesn’t like.

Anyhow good luck
I agree. The targa is a pain in the butt to remove and install. The convertible is so much quicker and easier to put down and bring back up. I have owned both.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:36 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 207 Posts

what can i say, i’m pretty good at making people like terrible things. I got my wife to like me, after all.
lol
Old 11-06-2018, 08:15 AM
suseuser
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m surprised a yellow vette would be hard to sell. My wife has gone from lost her mind angry to a definite no. So that’s an improvement! The ‘02 hasn’t sold yet. Which is almost unbelievable. I’m guessing November isn’t a prime season for Corvette sales in my area. We can get a hard snow any day now that would put the car in garage prison for months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Waiting on a Loan app for '02