Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just put ZO6 shocks on my convertible and love them!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
Ed, I’ve been on this fence for too long a time and refuse the pull the trigger. So long that I don’t even know why anymore!! I’ve also seen the same reference to the later shocks, and the boys at Cultrag have been great participants/suppliers to the Corvette forums. I have just over 60k miles and have also been told that stock C5 shocks are basically good shocks and don’t wear out that quickly.
My most important requirement is that the ride does not deteriorate, I already have C6Z06 swaybars.
Sorry - forgot the pic - it's uploaded now. I really want to do the upgrade and get it right the first time.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:01 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Guys,
When I get back from Xmas vacation I'll be posting up for sale a set of 2003 C5 Z06 leaf springs with under 28k miles on them and a set of Johnny O'Connell shocks with less than 2k miles on them. The springs and shocks are in excellent condition. Just FYI case anybody wants to go in that direction.

I went full coil over as the car is becoming a 100% track toy.

Merry Xmas!
Old 12-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Ed, I’ve been on this fence for too long a time and refuse the pull the trigger. So long that I don’t even know why anymore!! I’ve also seen the same reference to the later shocks, and the boys at Cultrag have been great participants/suppliers to the Corvette forums. I have just over 60k miles and have also been told that stock C5 shocks are basically good shocks and don’t wear out that quickly.
My most important requirement is that the ride does not deteriorate, I already have C6Z06 swaybars.
You iz gonna kick urself in the azzzzz...just order them....I did...
Old 12-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by R1-Addict
I just ordered a set, $225 shipped!
Originally Posted by Deliso1
use this Discount code on Rock auto for 10 bucks off
i paid 226
part numbers are 10313647 and 25819268

Same here....but thats way too cheap...its shocking ...wonder if they made a mistake?
I just ordered a set, actually $212 shipped to me !
I'm not even sure i will use them right away but its a great investment / last minute Christmas present to myself...
Old 12-25-2018, 02:45 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Yello95
Same here....but thats way too cheap...its shocking ...wonder if they made a mistake?
I just ordered a set, actually $212 shipped to me !
I'm not even sure i will use them right away but its a great investment / last minute Christmas present to myself...
YELLO! You're killing me! Ok, there's lots of references, discount codes and other number floating around here!!
WHERE did you buy them, WHICH ones, and WHICH numbers refer to which shocks?
Anyone ever buy the MOOG endlinks?
Old 12-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

YELLO! You're killing me! Ok, there's lots of references, discount codes and other number floating around here!!
WHERE did you buy them, WHICH ones, and WHICH numbers refer to which shocks?
Anyone ever buy the MOOG endlinks?

2 old farts...one with 60,000 mile old shocks that may need replacing and one with 40,000 mile old shocks that don't need replacing....what to do...just saying...
P.M. sent for fear of being abused.....
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 05:25 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I not only used the shocks, but also both sway bars and front spring from my C6 Z06 in my C5 Z06. It drives a lot more sporty than before, I just wish I could get a stiffer spring for the rear for the corners. However the way it's set up makes it squat very well under full acceleration from a stop. My front air dam

scrapes on pretty much everything, but that's part of the c5 charm.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:35 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Freddy, tell me about the everyday ride quality. I don’t want a buckboard.
Yello, no abuse, we are in the same boat, with soupspoons for paddles!
Old 12-25-2018, 07:06 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

It's still a little bit too floaty for my taste. It's got R888R's on so I expect it to sway quite a bit on the auto cross where I intend to run it.

I can't really compare it to a true street-sports car. My C6 Z06 has coilovers and handles like it's on rails. Pretty sure I can hang with a C7 Z06 Z07 package with the same tires around the road course.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

I didn't mean abuse by you ,Chas...
chasboy (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 08:12 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Can anyone answer the question in post 19? Thanks!
Old 12-25-2018, 08:14 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by freddyvette
It's still a little bit too floaty for my taste. It's got R888R's on so I expect it to sway quite a bit on the auto cross where I intend to run it.

I can't really compare it to a true street-sports car. My C6 Z06 has coilovers and handles like it's on rails. Pretty sure I can hang with a C7 Z06 Z07 package with the same tires around the road course.
Freddy, reason I ask is I have a friend who’s a race instructor with a 2006 Z he’s had from new. He’s told me it’s ‘rough’ when I discuss moving to a c6, suggesting a GS or Z51.
Because of that, I worry about C6 Z shocks being too stiff for an everyday driver.
However I’ve heard the contrary about the aftermarket application of these shocks on a c5.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:32 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Can anyone answer the question in post 19? Thanks!
Ed, not sure what you want to know. From the various posts, the part #’s are the same as Bill’s post. I probably don’t have to tell you that Bill Curlee is a legend on this forum, huge amount of knowledge and always ready to help.
As for <what to do> I’m in a quandary as well. In addition, I’m a regular customer of Cultrag and appreciate their input on the forum, but the price difference is pretty great in this case.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Ed, not sure what you want to know. From the various posts, the part #’s are the same as Bill’s post. I probably don’t have to tell you that Bill Curlee is a legend on this forum, huge amount of knowledge and always ready to help.
As for <what to do> I’m in a quandary as well. In addition, I’m a regular customer of Cultrag and appreciate their input on the forum, but the price difference is pretty great in this case.

Hi Chasboy, was mostly curious about the difference in the early to later shocks - if anyone had experience with both. After all the posts in this thread it looks like the PNs here are for the later. Much of the other research I saw showed earlier PNs (as in the pic I posted of the thread from 2015 where both versions are referenced). I understand Bill is awesome, and I listen seriously to his advice. I just wanted to know if there was a perceived difference in the earlier to later shocks by someone who had firsthand experience. Thanks!

Also - I looked them up on rockauto, and one set of the lesser priced ones ones for 2013 have the AC PN and say OEM but have a "private label" note. I'm wondering if that's why the deals sound so good but I wonder what will show up if that's what people have ordered.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 12-25-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:35 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Freddy, reason I ask is I have a friend who’s a race instructor with a 2006 Z he’s had from new. He’s told me it’s ‘rough’ when I discuss moving to a c6, suggesting a GS or Z51.
Because of that, I worry about C6 Z shocks being too stiff for an everyday driver.
However I’ve heard the contrary about the aftermarket application of these shocks on a c5.
I disagree, it's all about the tires, shocks, and springs. I swapped everything from the C6 except for the rear spring because it was incompatible. The stock 2006-2010 C6 Z06 still drives like a Cadillac in my opinion.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:07 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Hi Chasboy, was mostly curious about the difference in the early to later shocks - if anyone had experience with both. After all the posts in this thread it looks like the PNs here are for the later. Much of the other research I saw showed earlier PNs (as in the pic I posted of the thread from 2015 where both versions are referenced). I understand Bill is awesome, and I listen seriously to his advice. I just wanted to know if there was a perceived difference in the earlier to later shocks by someone who had firsthand experience. Thanks!

Also - I looked them up on rockauto, and one set of the lesser priced ones ones for 2013 have the AC PN and say OEM but have a "private label" note. I'm wondering if that's why the deals sound so good but I wonder what will show up if that's what people have ordered.
those 2013s are the ones you want to get...it shows AC and GM numbers...same exact part ...fits 97 thru 04 C5......
Old 01-02-2019, 01:28 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Well folks, I’m off the fence and ON my C6Z06 shocks and love them. If you’ve been worried about ride being ruined, it’s not a concern. It feels tighter and firmer without being harsher(other than a street full of pot hole repairs which don’t feel good in any car). Highway tracking is better than before as well.
So, just go ahead and get ‘em and put them on!!
Yello95 (01-03-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To I just put ZO6 shocks on my convertible and love them!

Old 01-02-2019, 09:28 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Yello95
So Charlie...congrats...and WHO exactly pushed you off the fence?
...old peeps like us can sometimes be stubborn....
GEE I wonder who???
Yello95 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Here is my input. AS many may know , I am not a go fast guy, I'm not trying to milk every oz of power. I dont track the car, and do not street race. The car is very responsive out of the design box, at least for me... about a year ago I decided to add sways, links and shocks.. only because the original plastic links were less than solid, ( one was broke. I went with the Z06 package from Gene Culley. Good prices.

There was nothing wrong with my shocks @ 80,000 miles. but I did it anyway. AS many may know one of my signature adages is, " Everything is a trade off. "
after installing these components, I immediately notice the difference. as far a handling.. ( rarely put to the handling aspects of this car ) it goes around a corner much better with less body roll. This particular handling aspect is less than 1 % of my driving experience, but the car handles better, when and if I need it....

However , the trade off is immense, in the ride comfort. the car rides much harder because the valving and dampening of the Z06 shock absorbs more imp-act ( less chance to bottom out ) and offers a more dramatic hard dampening which gives the car a better handling aspect but at the expense of ride.. I bought these and am offering a negative on the ride which I car more about than the 90 MPG cloverleaf engagements. Everything is a trade off.. If I was not sick, I would change the stock Z51 shocks back. But since I rarely drive the car any long distance its not a priority.. so in conclusion, If your doing a lot of high speed cornering , your car will handle better, but at the expense of a nice comfortable highway drive since these shocks are not designed for comfort but for speed. and handling.

There will be a lot of people who will say the ride is not different but think of it this way, If " we " at GM who know everything is a trade off, could put a shock on the car that had a soft and comfortable ride , we would have done that , instead of a dialed in F45 suspension. Anyone saying they have not lost the ride but gained the handling with HD Z06 shocks, they are just in denial or lack real world automotive understanding.
Bill aka ET
Ed Ramberger (01-19-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 PM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

What did u do about the F45 system?

Quick Reply: I just put ZO6 shocks on my convertible and love them!