It was a bad battery from the start

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:48 PM
WillItFloat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default It was a bad battery from the start

One of the great things about this forum is that you can post your ramblings about your car and someone will read them and perhaps enjoy them. My wife just isn't interested.

This is about batteries and I am reluctant to start a new thread about batteries because there are already so many, mostly about what battery is best and using a trickle charger. But this post has some different information in it.

I bought my 1999 C5 convertible in May 2013. It was being sold by a dealer on consignment from the original owner. The first time I looked at the car it would not crank and had to be jumped. The second time I looked at the car it would not crank and had to be jumped. I insisted that a new battery be installed before I would purchase the car. A new Interstate was installed and everything was fine and I bought the car.

I drove the car 4,000 miles home and all summer long with no issues. However, I did have some issues with a headlight gear and after turning the lights on and off multiple times while replacing it, the car would not crank. Once cooler weather arrived and the car sat for a week it would not crank. Research in this forum made me think I might have a parasitic draw somewhere but I never pursued it. I just disconnected the battery when I knew I wouldn't be driving the car for a while.

Over the years I had issues when turning the headlights on and off multiple times while working on the multi-function switch and once when I parked the car for a few hours with the parking lights on. In each case it seemed to me that the battery should not have gone so low so fast but I attributed it to a C5 being sensitive to a low battery. Over winter, when the car was stored, I always removed the battery and put it on a charger every few weeks. In warm weather, as long as I drove the car (and I drove it a lot!) and didn't leave lights on, I never had a problem.

This spring the five year old battery would no longer hold a charge. I bought a Duralast Gold from the AutoZone. The first thing I noticed was that the car could sit for a week during bad weather spells (battery cable connected) and it would start right up. I could mess with the headlights and turn them on off multiple times (adjusters this time) and it would start right up. This fall I put the car away on October 11 and disconnected the battery. I had to move it six weeks later on November 23 (thankfully a rare sunny day in northeast Ohio this fall). I thought I would have to charge the battery but I reconnected it and the car started right up. The car had never been idle that long without needing to be charged.

I now believe that the battery I was given in 2013 was low on capacity from the start. Perhaps it had been sitting on the dealer's shelf for a while. Whatever the problem, I feel fortunate that it functioned so many years, even though it was functioning at a low level. I also feel fortunate that it never left me stranded ( I have put 40,000 miles on the car and taken many long trips). And I also feel really dumb that I ignored all the warning signs over the years and didn't replace it sooner.

The next issue is what to do in the future. I know the common opinion on this forum is that the battery should be hooked up to a trickle charger while being stored. After research on the forum and on other websites I have concluded that perhaps the best option for me is just to disconnect that battery and let it sit so that's what I'm going to do. We'll see if it starts next time I have to start it. The only question in my mind is what is better for battery life. I sure I will find out if my chosen option is a good one within the next five years.

That's all. Your comments are, of course, welcome.
The following 2 users liked this post by WillItFloat:
Art17 (02-18-2019), CorvetteBrent (12-02-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:05 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

a lot is made of batts here, I bought a Walmart Duracell and after two years starts always !!!(no tender)
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (02-18-2019)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not sure why you wouldn't just hook it to a Battery Tender and not worry about it being fully charged when you need it, but hope it all works out for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You can get a bad battery from the store. Its rare but it happens. Usually an internal short from poor handling between the manufacturer and the retail store. My Original AC Delco was replaced because of defective casing. I bought my First Optima red top in 2001. I replaced it in 2009, I took the first one out and use it today as a bench test battery. The second Optima red top is in there now. its 9 years old. No sign of an issue. Its always on a smart CTEC tender... I will probably replace the battery in the spring. with another Optima Red top. I put an Optima red top in my wife's last car, it was in there 7 years without issue until we traded it in.
Batteries, alternators and grounds are the big electrical issues with this car. as it ages.
Bill aka ET.
CorvetteBrent (12-02-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 08:05 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Yes, even brand new batteries can be "bad".

Case in point: After I retired from full time work, I worked part-time, for my local Advance Auto Parts store. I was one of the delivery drivers. I'm sure that many of you are familiar with the slanted display/storage racks, that they use for the car batteries. I went to remove a battery from this rack, so I could deliver it to a customer. You have to both lift and tilt the battery, to get them out of the rack. As I tilted this particular battery, to get it off the rack, it leaked battery acid down the front of my coat. A brand new battery, and the case wasn't properly sealed, right from the manufacturer. I was OK, but it ruined a perfectly good, down-filled, winter coat......
The following 3 users liked this post by leadfoot4:
Art17 (02-18-2019), CorvetteBrent (12-02-2018), Yello95 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:17 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Replace the posts on the ends of both the pos and neg. cable While you are doing that, wirebrush the cable ends.
Cost and time is minimal

Reason being, over time, the posts will either loosen up or start to corrode on the bottom.
(Had this problem on 3 different > 10 year old side post battery cars.)

Either scenario will make it tough to nearly impossible to start the car, or obtain a proper charge.

Last edited by aj98; 11-30-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Art17 (02-18-2019)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Yes, even brand new batteries can be "bad".

Case in point: After I retired from full time work, I worked part-time, for my local Advance Auto Parts store. I was one of the delivery drivers. I'm sure that many of you are familiar with the slanted display/storage racks, that they use for the car batteries. I went to remove a battery from this rack, so I could deliver it to a customer. You have to both lift and tilt the battery, to get them out of the rack. As I tilted this particular battery, to get it off the rack, it leaked battery acid down the front of my coat. A brand new battery, and the case wasn't properly sealed, right from the manufacturer. I was OK, but it ruined a perfectly good, down-filled, winter coat......

I did the same thing at Costco (Interstate battery) but the battery was just wet with acid on the bottom and i got it on my hands and wiped it on my pants not thinking it was acid...big lesson learned......so you are correct about it being a bad battery right from the factory...
The following 2 users liked this post by Yello95:
Old 11-30-2018, 05:34 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 327 Posts

OP - if your car will see below freezing temperatures for extended periods of time while the battery is disconnected, you may want to remove the battery and store in a warm environment. As batteries sit, they do discharge. If they discharge enough, the battery can freeze and crack the case. (You know the rest from here.).
Old 12-01-2018, 02:49 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

You do know that headlight motors that have issues ARE a parasitic draw on the battery, right?
Art17 (02-18-2019)
Old 12-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

I bought a red top in February 2013. I had to replace it with another red top in June 2013. I had to replace that one in February 2014. I swor3 off of red tops forever and got a yellow top. It’s still in the car. Sometimes batteries are junk right from the factory.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:45 PM
WillItFloat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It was a sunny day Friday in northeast Ohio. The road were dry and cleaned of salt by recent rains. I needed to take the Corvette for an emissions check to renew my registration so I went out to start it up to take for the E-Check. The car had been sitting with the battery disconnected since November 23 but no battery tender as mentioned in my opening post to this thread. Before jumping it I checked the voltage in the battery. It was still at 12.2 volts so I connected the battery and turned the key. The car fired right up. I drove it around a little so the computer could go through a "drive cycle" as they say. I took to E-Check and it passed once again. The drive reminded me of how much I love this car. I love it even more with a new battery.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:13 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Not sure why you wouldn't just hook it to a Battery Tender and not worry about it being fully charged when you need it, but hope it all works out for you.
This is good advice. Letting a battery discharge over the winter or for any extended period of time then recharging and repeating over and over causes sulphurization of the cells.
This will kill your battery very quickly. I would invest in a battery tender...
Art17 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:16 PM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Disconnect is the best choice! That is the ultimate battery protection.

Those battery tenders are generally junk but a few have a working float mode. Most just gas the battery to death

I have an Optima yellow, it doesn't seem to care if it dies and it's died a lot. It's been in the car for 10 years now
Old 02-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

I disconnect the battery on mine. There has been times where it sat for longer than 6 months, and as long as one cable was disconnected, it will start right up.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Dealers use interstate to put batteries in cars, because most interstate dealers have used batteries in stock. They do warranty coverage on their batteries (they're usually standalone stores), and when they bring in a warranty battery, they charge them and load test them. Sometimes the batteries are good, but sometimes the customer was right and the battery was ****. I've bought a lot of used batteries from interstate. Most times they are 50.00 and under. I've done this for several "flips" I've bought and sold, when I used to do a lot. I got some good ones and some bad ones.

Interstate battery is well known to car dealers, as a means to save cash.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:06 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I second the suggestion to keep a tender (not trickle charges, they aren't the same) on the battery when the car is not in use. I've used tenders on all of my vehicles that sit for long periods without being used and I've always gotten long battery life when doing this...I swear by tenders...

Last edited by grampi50; 02-18-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Art17 (02-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To It was a bad battery from the start

Quick Reply: It was a bad battery from the start