Preparing c5 for cross country move - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing c5 for cross country move

Old 12-05-2018, 11:36 PM
Mikenonamaker

Default Preparing c5 for cross country move

In about 2 weeks I will be moving across the country, from Michigan back to my home state of texas, and am preparing the c5 for the 1400 mile drive, I have a checklist going but if you guys can think of anything else let me know.
so far I plan to:
change oil & filter
coolant flush
Cover anything that will be exposed to road debris and bugs with painters tape
Check all suspension bolts
Raise back to stock height (possibly)
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 PM
tstad9i1
CF Senior Member

If you haven't already, maybe get a doughnut spare tire. If you have one, give it a once over to make sure it's ready just in case. Better safe than sorry.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:39 AM
Keppler
CF Senior Member

For a 1200 mile trip does it need a coolant flush or an oil change?

I would be more concerned with driving at highway speeds on summer tires in freezing temperatures. Go slow until the temps are in the 50's.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:05 AM
itzza427
CF Senior Member

One other bit of advise,,,, CHECK THE WEATHER FORECAST!!! I live in the general St.Louis area and they are talking about a big weather system starting down in Texas and moving east northeast .C5's don't do well as snow plows LOL. other than that I've driven my FRC year round,,The LS actually likes inhaling cold air!! Seems these systems are popping up pretty regularly. Have a good trip,,C5's are great road cars!

Last edited by itzza427; 12-06-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:26 AM
Mikenonamaker

Originally Posted by tstad9i1 View Post
If you haven't already, maybe get a doughnut spare tire. If you have one, give it a once over to make sure it's ready just in case. Better safe than sorry.
good point, I keep a tire repair kit but a spare would be a much better solution.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:28 AM
Mikenonamaker

Originally Posted by Keppler View Post
For a 1200 mile trip does it need a coolant flush or an oil change?

I would be more concerned with driving at highway speeds on summer tires in freezing temperatures. Go slow until the temps are in the 50's.
it doesnt exactly need them, but I'm at 4,000 miles on the current oil and would rather change it now then at probably 6,000 when it's all said and done. I could get away with it, I just prefer to change it at 5k, that's always how I've done. & the coolant flush because I'm not sure the last time it has been changed, so I'm taking the precautions now instead of possibly paying later.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:29 AM
Mikenonamaker

Originally Posted by itzza427 View Post
One other bit of advise,,,, CHECK THE WEATHER FORECAST!!! I live in the general St.Louis area and they are talking about a big weather system starting down in Texas and moving east northeast .C5's don't do well as snow plows LOL. other than that I've driven my FRC year round,,The LS actually likes inhaling cold air!! Seems these systems are popping up pretty regularly. Have a good trip,,C5's are great road cars!
I will definitely have to check the forecast for everywhere I'm driving, no snow in Michigan yet but it is really cold, I'd hate to get caught in a snow storm on my way down. Good call!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:52 AM
3sACROWD
CF Senior Member

Coolant and oil sound like a good idea. Check your belts, hoses and tires. If your tires are in good shape, don't worry about a spare. If not, get new tires.

I've done many long distance trips in my Z06 and the only repairs while on the road were a burnt out turn signal bulb and a bag in the radiator fan. If your car is maintained properly, the likelihood you will have a problem are greatly reduced. I have 284k miles on my Vette and wouldn't hesitate to make the trek you are about to embark on.

Drive safe!
Old 12-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,583 Times in 3,142 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Make sure your wiper blades are effective at clearing the windshield, there is plenty of fluid in the windshield washer reservoir, and I would recommend you have either AAA or emergency road service on your insurance policy. Should something happen, you would want to be able to get help quickly. Good luck with the move.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM
dbgoodwin
CF Senior Member

Thatís gonna be a great trip if the weather holds! Havenít been able to take my car on any 1000+ mile trips in about 3 years, but put in 250 miles yesterday and only got snowed on a little bit!

You should look into one of those thin bras for the front of the car. Would be much easier than painters tape and you can have it for future trips too.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM
dleibman
CF Senior Member

Just got back from a 3600 mile trip without any issues except for lots of rain. Before going I had an oil change, got tire repair kit, checked all fluided and tires.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:04 PM
jcgunn
CF Senior Member

Check fluids, check tires, clean windows, put gas in car, check weather, drive.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:42 PM
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by tstad9i1 View Post
Originally Posted by Mikenonamaker View Post
good point, I keep a tire repair kit but a spare would be a much better solution.
The big problem with a spare tire is that it takes up storage space and not having a way to secure it inside the car. And if you do have a flat along the way, you have to deal with a much larger wheel and tire to put back inside the car. That can be a huge issue given that you are moving. Also, you need to find a jack that will go under the car once a tire is flat. Try removing the valve stem core to flatten a tire. Then measure the distance from the frame rail (near the square holes) to the ground. A jack will have to fit in that space. Now think about geting the jack and spare out of the car in a pouring down rainstorm.

I recommend just having a cell phone and a AAA membership.

Nothing wrong with doing an oil change; a coolant service may not be a necessity unles the coolant in the system is over 5 years old. Then you could simple drain the old coolant out and refill with Dexcool. Check tire pressures too. Checking the weather along your rout would be a very good idea. Maybe find a weather app that can show weather conditions on your route.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:50 PM
acroy
CF Senior Member

Jump in and drive. I just drove my cherry 30k mile '04z home from Seattle to TX in July. Now it's a 32k mile cherry 04z

Take a quart of oil, credit card and a cell phone. Do it in 1 day, or 2 if you're lolly-gagging.

Vettes are GREAT long-distance mile munchers. Enjoy the trip!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Mikenonamaker

Originally Posted by c4cruiser View Post
The big problem with a spare tire is that it takes up storage space and not having a way to secure it inside the car. And if you do have a flat along the way, you have to deal with a much larger wheel and tire to put back inside the car. That can be a huge issue given that you are moving. Also, you need to find a jack that will go under the car once a tire is flat. Try removing the valve stem core to flatten a tire. Then measure the distance from the frame rail (near the square holes) to the ground. A jack will have to fit in that space. Now think about geting the jack and spare out of the car in a pouring down rainstorm.

I recommend just having a cell phone and a AAA membership.

Nothing wrong with doing an oil change; a coolant service may not be a necessity unles the coolant in the system is over 5 years old. Then you could simple drain the old coolant out and refill with Dexcool. Check tire pressures too. Checking the weather along your rout would be a very good idea. Maybe find a weather app that can show weather conditions on your route.
we will have to see how much space I have, I already know I'll be loaded to the brim with 2 years worth of tools and clothes lol
Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 PM
gimp
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

There's really nothing to worry about for 1400 miles. If your car is currently working, give 'er an oil change and away you go.

Make sure you bring a cell phone charger and an AAA card and some cash. That's all.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: