Sponsored by:

Driving in the SNOW - as seen in Richmond

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:36 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by glbeauchamp
Like the hot MacDonald's coffee in the lap or the guy who used his LAWNMOWER as a hedge trimmer and cut his fingers off! That's why they won't run if you let go of the handle now. Hardly anybody will accept responsibility for their own stupidity and lots of you know whats more than willing to help them place the blame elsewhere... and get rewarded for said stupidity. What a country!
I can't speak to the lawn mower guy

but you can find the pictures of what happened to the mcdonald's coffee woman, and it will clear up any confusion about why she won that lawsuit
Old 12-20-2018, 11:45 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
The only good thing the C5 has going for it as far as driving it in the snow is the weight distribution. Other than that, I would think it would be a terrible car to drive in the snow. Even if the roads weren't salted where I live, I would still be afraid of other drivers crashing into me...

Originally Posted by work_truck
I can't speak to the lawn mower guy

but you can find the pictures of what happened to the mcdonald's coffee woman, and it will clear up any confusion about why she won that lawsuit
Yes, I'm quite sure that the hot coffee, that she requested and purchased, then clumsily spilled in her lap, burned her upper thighs. That's what happens, when a person "effs up". Why should the rest of society have to indirectly pay for it??

Old 12-20-2018, 11:51 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

Yes, I'm quite sure that the hot coffee, that she requested and purchased, then clumsily spilled in her lap, burned her upper thighs. That's what happens, when a person "effs up". Why should the rest of society have to indirectly pay for it??
Because we now live in a society where everything is someone else's fault...
Old 12-20-2018, 12:29 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by grampi50
Because we now live in a society where everything is someone else's fault...
OK, I'll play...……..who can I sue, because I didn't grow up to be wealthy, and a renowned oval-track racer, like I wanted to be??
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

OK, I'll play...……..who can I sue, because I didn't grow up to be wealthy, and a renowned oval-track racer, like I wanted to be??
The track owners? It can't possibly be your fault...
Old 12-20-2018, 01:55 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

How about mom and dad for not sending you to race car driver summer camp, thereby dashing your dreams and destroying your self esteem?
Old 12-20-2018, 05:06 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

How about mom and dad for not sending you to race car driver summer camp, thereby dashing your dreams and destroying your self esteem?
I considered that, but by the time that this kind of mindset had become commonplace, my father had been long dead, and my mother didn't have the money....
Old 12-20-2018, 08:13 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Damn! You could have been a trendsetter.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Damn! You could have been a trendsetter.

Fortunately, I did inherit my father's sense of humor...…..
Old 12-21-2018, 10:07 AM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Fortunately, I did inherit my father's sense of humor...…..
That's a good thing!
Old 12-21-2018, 11:22 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Back in 1970, I daily drove my C2 all winter here in northern Ohio with no issues whatsoever. Today if I had to I'd do the same with the C5/6/7 (and it would be safer than the early Vettes) but I don't want the cleanup afterwards so by choice they sit in the barn all winter. Air dams? They can be taken off in about a minute and a half.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:01 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Back in 1970, I daily drove my C2 all winter here in northern Ohio with no issues whatsoever. Today if I had to I'd do the same with the C5/6/7 (and it would be safer than the early Vettes) but I don't want the cleanup afterwards so by choice they sit in the barn all winter. Air dams? They can be taken off in about a minute and a half.
Thanks for reminding me about that. When I replaced the corner air dams on my car, I took out all the screws to all three pieces. Figuring they might work loose somehow, I used loctite when I put them back in...the RED type ( I know better but for some reason I did it anyway). So when I installed braces on the corners I had a hell of a time getting them out. I used a heat gun, which was a bad idea as it enlarged the screw holes. So my question is: What I should use as a heat source to break the loctite? I was thinking soldering iron. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:54 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Thanks for reminding me about that. When I replaced the corner air dams on my car, I took out all the screws to all three pieces. Figuring they might work loose somehow, I used loctite when I put them back in...the RED type ( I know better but for some reason I did it anyway). So when I installed braces on the corners I had a hell of a time getting them out. I used a heat gun, which was a bad idea as it enlarged the screw holes. So my question is: What I should use as a heat source to break the loctite? I was thinking soldering iron. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Soldering iron is probably the safest choice, as it will keep the heat concentrated on the screw itself.
The following users liked this post:
glbeauchamp (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 03:34 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There has been many posts on this subject recently, My opinion is that my car will remain in the garage until March, it just seems that you are asking for an accident to happen driving around in that weather

Last edited by 449er; 12-21-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:11 PM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
There has been many posts on this subject recently, My opinion is that my car will remain in the garage until March, it just seems that you are asking for an accident to happen driving around in that weather
Everyone enjoys their cars in their own way. Your way is the right way for you. I tend towards the view that it is better to use what you own while you can rather than save it for someone else to enjoy.

Some people on this forum seem to think that it is impossible and/or irresponsible to winter drive a C5 Corvette. In my 43 years of driving, I have driven far worse cars in the winter (and I have never been stuck...knock on wood). I confess I did nearly go off onto a divided highway's median just outside of Jefferson City, Missouri, winter of '78 (Oldsmobile 442, studs on snow tires and limited slip differential...I was young and going too fast). Forty years later, I can point out that exact curve.

The low ground clearance of the C5 is absolutely a factor, but only if one is driving in an environment where snow plows don't operate. Contrary to some posts, the C5 Corvette's front air dam is not a poorly engineered functional equivalent of a snow plow. Rather the air dam folds up on a spring hinge should it encounter an obstacle. I have experienced this first hand. It works as designed. Not an oversight, and no worse for the wear.

While the C5's ABS and traction control systems are very effective; these systems depend on having some grip to work with. The wide tires coupled with typically relatively shallow tread are less than ideal for snow and are horrible on ice. But as I mentioned above in my previous post, my wife and I safely traveled a hundred miles or so in our C5 during a winter storm earlier this year. Most of the vehicles we saw that had gone off the highway, in a ditch or onto the median, were SUVs. This is not to suggest that the C5 is a superior winter vehicle, rather only to suggest that it is not wholly incapable.

I choose to drive my Corvette when I can....because I bought it to drive.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:45 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I love seeing Corvettes out in the snow...why not enjoy yourself? 4wd trucks without lockers have essentially the same driving wheels as the Corvette does, with the LSD. So, getting down the road wouldn't be an issue, it's just down to traction/tire type. With good tires, the Corvette should be very capable in snow.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:46 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wdcraig
Everyone enjoys their cars in their own way. Your way is the right way for you. I tend towards the view that it is better to use what you own while you can rather than save it for someone else to enjoy.

Some people on this forum seem to think that it is impossible and/or irresponsible to winter drive a C5 Corvette. In my 43 years of driving, I have driven far worse cars in the winter (and I have never been stuck...knock on wood). I confess I did nearly go off onto a divided highway's median just outside of Jefferson City, Missouri, winter of '78 (Oldsmobile 442, studs on snow tires and limited slip differential...I was young and going too fast). Forty years later, I can point out that exact curve.

The low ground clearance of the C5 is absolutely a factor, but only if one is driving in an environment where snow plows don't operate. Contrary to some posts, the C5 Corvette's front air dam is not a poorly engineered functional equivalent of a snow plow. Rather the air dam folds up on a spring hinge should it encounter an obstacle. I have experienced this first hand. It works as designed. Not an oversight, and no worse for the wear.

While the C5's ABS and traction control systems are very effective; these systems depend on having some grip to work with. The wide tires coupled with typically relatively shallow tread are less than ideal for snow and are horrible on ice. But as I mentioned above in my previous post, my wife and I safely traveled a hundred miles or so in our C5 during a winter storm earlier this year. Most of the vehicles we saw that had gone off the highway, in a ditch or onto the median, were SUVs. This is not to suggest that the C5 is a superior winter vehicle, rather only to suggest that it is not wholly incapable.

I choose to drive my Corvette when I can....because I bought it to drive.
Don't you care about what the salt on the roads does to the metal on the car? For my daily drivers, I don't worry about the salt as these cars need to be driven in all weather situations. A Vette can be parked and not subjected to the rigors of salted roads...

Get notified of new replies

To Driving in the SNOW - as seen in Richmond

Old 12-23-2018, 06:58 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I love seeing Corvettes out in the snow...why not enjoy yourself? 4wd trucks without lockers have essentially the same driving wheels as the Corvette does, with the LSD. So, getting down the road wouldn't be an issue, it's just down to traction/tire type. With good tires, the Corvette should be very capable in snow.
Again, snow alone isn't the problem, salt on the roads is the problem...Why anyone would want to subject their babies to the destructive nature of rock salt is beyond me...
Old 12-23-2018, 07:39 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Is this one of those discussion threads..?
Unfortunately, not everyone is born with common sense. Not everyone understands the mechanics of a loss of frictional ecoefficiency.. .potential and kinetic energy are forces that play into driving in the snow. but not everyone understands their impact.

Many people are unqualified to safely drive in the snow, but much like the Mattress tag removal police, disqualifying anyone is not visible. Nothing is worse than a guy who is unqualified to drive in the snow., or have common sense, to drive a 5000 lb 4 wheel drive truck as if was impervious to be a killing machine, and think he is the best driver on the road and everyone else is a bad driver.
Knowing and Respecting you limitation, and your cars limitation in bad road conditions is a very mature and intelligent perspective.

Bill aka ET .. .
Old 12-23-2018, 07:43 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Before moving to FL my '99 Hardtop saw regular action in the snow in the winter months of SE Pennsylvania. Hell, the previous owner caused a HUGE amount of butt hurt and up roar on this very forum with pics of him driving it with the family Christmas tree tied to the roof. I have driven mine in 4 inch deep snow without any issue. Good snow or all season tires and knowing how to drive in snow makes the world of difference. Like it or not fellas...it's a Corvette...they were designed with the ability to be driven in the snow...they are not going to suddenly stop running if they see action in the rain or even heaven forbid snow.

Quick Reply: Driving in the SNOW - as seen in Richmond