Advice on optima battery spill in c5

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Advice on optima battery spill in c5

I regularly trickle drip my Corvettes. On my c5, I use an optima battery due to rumors I’ve heard of regular batteries leaking and frying the brilliantly placed computer below. I suppose I got a lemon because I managed to overload the battery with just regular charge and the battery blew the ports and looked like a steaming tea kettle. I removed the battery as soon as it was cool enough and I applied baking soda, which sizzled upon contact with the battery material. I dumped a whole box, messy yes, all over the entire battery area. I’m just wondering if I should vacuum this stuff out or use water to rinse the remaining residue off. Have a new tray on order and a new battery waiting but I just wandered what lengths I should go to and might have overlooked.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:41 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

If you ahven't already done so, I would remove the battery tray and check to see how much, if any, acid got under the tray and on the computer housing and surrounding area. If not, I would cover the computer with plastic, check to make sure all connections were undamaged, and use water to rinse off the area..
Old 01-05-2019, 04:49 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Definitely remove tray. Not only is the car's computer under there, so are vacuum hoses that WILL get eaten by battery acid.
Use a battery tender, not a battery charger.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:09 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When you are ready to install the new battery tray, get an absorbent mat to place on the tray. Any future electrolyte leakage should get soaked up and hold it to give you time to fix things.

I have Interstate batteries in both my C4 and C5 and they are an AGM style. Never had a leak problem with that brand. The newer AC Delco "Professional Grade" batteries are also an AGM style and they will work fine in your car.

If you are going with another Optima, make sure you use a battery maintainer designed for that brand. CTEK battery maintainers will work with Optima batteries and with other AGM batteries.
The following users liked this post:
SCALLOPED91 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:13 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

AGM batteries are less likely to leak, but since they do contain battery acid they still can. Get one of these mats to put under your next battery.
https://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-mat-black.html
The following users liked this post:
jjc508520 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:51 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The advice to remove the tray and see how much, if any, battery acid may have spilled down onto the computer/vacuum hoses is spot on. You definitely do not want that acid to have a chance to eat away at the wires and hoses - a whole lot of problem will occur.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:15 AM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Voltage cut off on my charger like it is suppoesed to but the battery had some reaction I can’t explain yet. Battery is out, tray is out, everything was soaked in baking soda, then washed. All electrical and vacuum lines appear to be fine. I will closely monitor all lines to make absolute sure everything is ok, The new tray makes me feel better.
I knew where every spot of acid was because it would instantly start sizzling when it came in contact with the baking soda; thankfully, those places were few and not found in critical places yet.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:19 AM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I heed your warning very closely. I think/ I thought I was doing everything perfectly fine before. After this episode, I will be going down a checklist to ensure nothing is overlooked and this type of thing is “humanly” avoided. I just found me a highly rated battery acid mat I am fixing to purchase to go along with my new battery tray. Can’t be careful enough.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:24 AM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The acid spilling on that computer, the lines, and hoses was my greatest fear. I’ve ripped a car’s wiring out to replace every wire and censor in the whole thing for and Accel system and I don’t plan on willingly doing that again anytime soon. So far, so good. Nothing looks cooked under there. So, we will see.

again, thanks to everyone for whom responded to this thread. Everyone was very helpful and I truly appreciate your time and advice.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:14 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

You must have really cooked that battery. I have used Optima batteries for 19 years now and have never had any problems. My first one lasted 15 years, used in two different Vettes. Second one is now going on four years in the second car. You should be using a battery tender, not a charger unless you buy Optima's own charger. I didn't know an Optima could leak, I thought the purpose of them was that they couldn't.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Use a battery tender not a battery charger
Old 01-06-2019, 09:37 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
You must have really cooked that battery. I have used Optima batteries for 19 years now and have never had any problems. My first one lasted 15 years, used in two different Vettes. Second one is now going on four years in the second car. You should be using a battery tender, not a charger unless you buy Optima's own charger. I didn't know an Optima could leak, I thought the purpose of them was that they couldn't.
It is possible for any lead-acid battery to leak. Less likely with AGM batteries.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:05 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I was under the same impression until I had a yellow top in my Ford Expedition when the alternator went bad. The regulator let the alternator put out over 17 volts and the battery did not like that. It cracked and acid was boiling out (the battery itself was very hot). I got lucky, the only other thing that fried was my subwoofer amp.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by SCALLOPED91
I regularly trickle drip my Corvettes...

Originally Posted by Clancy209

Last edited by GCG; 01-06-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:49 PM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

My friend, I was under the same thought process. I’ve called optima and the charging device/ tender, as you call it, is what they recomend. The system I use is all digitally monitored, controlled, and stopped by this device. The battery was not connected to the accessory lines: no alternator, no stereo, or anything like that. The car received the trickle charge, like all my vette’s And bikes, with a regulated device. I have optima in everything I own except my c7 z06 and and 2018 sti.

Just a freak accident. Who knows. The entire area is clean, been cleaned repeatedly, and has a new tray and optima battery. My turbo on my 91 fox body mustang gets really hot but that is another reason I moved the battery to the back of the car. Anyway, this is a first for me and hopefully last.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Old 01-08-2019, 01:21 AM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

All but the lowliest of modern chargers/tenders both charge and tend the battery. I am sure you did nothing wrong, OP.

FWIW, optima is no longer the brand name it used to be. I am sure yellow-tops are still relatively good. People seem to have trouble with the red-tops far too often. Shrug.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:04 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

I've got this battery. No problems.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli34dtm
Old 01-09-2019, 02:12 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Default Battery Tenders and Trickle Chargers

Originally Posted by GCG
Originally Posted by SCALLOPED91
I regularly trickle drip my Corvettes...

Originally Posted by Clancy209

Battery Tenders are microprocessor-controlled devices and follow a charging process with very distinct stages that may be named differently by each manufacturer, or may have custom tweaks, but in essence are like these:
  • Initialization Mode - where the battery is tested to ensure it is working fine.
  • Bulk Charge Mode - at constant current until voltage rises to a predetermined level.
  • Absorption Charge Mode - at constant voltage (the one reached at the end of the previous stage) until current drops below a predetermined threshold.
  • Maintenance Charge Mode - at constant voltage, but just between 0.1v to 0.5v above the normal voltage of a fully charged battery sitting at rest. This keeps the battery topped off at voltages well below the gassing voltage of a lead-acid battery.

Trickle chargers do not have the same sophisticated level of control than tenders. A trickle charger charges at a constant rate regardless of the battery state of charge.

A trickle charger will deliver a charge that is equal to the batteries rate of self-discharge plus some, and should be disconnected once a full charge has been established to avoid overcharging.

As trickle chargers, or chargers that switch to "trickle mode" at the end of their charging cycle, allow the value of the charging current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels, the output voltage of the charger may very well rise to an unacceptably high level, sometimes even going higher than 16v depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. A voltage this high is far above the gassing voltage of a lead-acid battery. Keeping a battery connected to this high level of voltage for a prolonged time may cause irreversible damages to it. In addition, overheating and pressure buildup from gassing can crack its case producing leaks, etc., or explosions and fire in extreme cases.

Last edited by GCG; 01-09-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on optima battery spill in c5

Quick Reply: Advice on optima battery spill in c5