Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How boring is a GEEZER auto compared to a stick....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:36 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RACE U
Well, if turned maybe there is something to discuss. But as someone that has owned both cars, they are light years apart.
I was only poking fun, and was referencing C6 ZR1 vs C7 Z06.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipitnow
Talk about Hillary Clinton like that, why she would have been the finest president ever recorded in history.....

there is a seperate forum for this stuff, PR&C,it’s named that for a reason....it has no place here.

The following users liked this post:
MikeyMcFly (01-22-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
WTF?you cannot be for real....i feel sorry for you if you are serious...but reading the rest of your posts and need for attention, you just may be serious.... very sad

wrong forum.......

go to PR&C with this crap
The following users liked this post:
MikeyMcFly (01-22-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 08:48 AM
Whipitnow
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
Well, if turned maybe there is something to discuss. But as someone that has owned both cars, they are light years apart.
What is so much different about them ? I talked to a Dr. who went from a C5 to 7 and he said he could not believe how much better the 7 was as a civilized car. In general I do not care for the way a 7 looks but have seen some that look great but they are way out of my price range and to complex for me, in other words to much of a bitch magnet....
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Talk about Hillary Clinton like that, why she would have been the finest president ever recorded in history.....

Seriously, I hope you are kidding.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

What years had the better Autos as you put it, 08 and up ?
Yes.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by BAT
I like my auto in my convertible. Yes, it's tuned and made a HUGGGGGGEEEEE difference. The main reason why I like it? Because it seems to **** off so many people who think manual is the ONLY way to have a Vette!

OK, that last part was a lie. Yes, I wanted and would still like a manual (my next one will be, assuming all items are checked off too). This is my first Vette and I wanted my wife to drive it and enjoy it too. She doesn't drive manuals, and I wasn't about to have he learn on a car like this. Plus, this car was in great shape, decent mileage (low within reason), was a convertible (what I wanted, no compromise) and more importantly, the price was BETTER than any others I looked at. We all have different priorities when looking at anything. Some won't consider an auto, some won't consider a manual..... some won't consider xxx miles, some won't consider spending over xx amount, no matter the condition, some won't consider mods, some won't consider stock..... then there's colors...… the list goes on and on and on and on (like this post). Point is, who gives a damn what anyone else likes or doesn't. Name calling and thumbing your nose at someone else's likes and dislikes proves one thing..... you're (general you, not specifically you Pounder) a douche. Now, if you're throwing stones at other Vette's and don't have one yourself..... well then, that's something special in and of itself.
Not trying to be smart ***, I really don't know, but how do you tune a transmission?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Bubba1951
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Worth the Drive

When I decided to get a C5 I wanted a Torch red and an m6. It took be 15 months to find one within 500 miles of home. Finally found one 500 miles away. I was nervous about driving that far worrying that my definition of excellent shape was different than the sellers. When I got there it was in absolutely great shape and bought it. A week after I bought it one came up for sale just a few miles away from home also in great shape. Still I didn't regret making the trip. I'm a manual nut, I've had one since 1969. I use the car for fun, not transportation.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette

Whats so funny ?

Obama should have been vice pres with Bill and Chelsea as treasurer.... You know these people are strict constitutionalist and never break the law.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:28 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Old 01-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
Not trying to be smart ***, I really don't know, but how do you tune a transmission?
There are tuning devices that plug into the OBD port or PCM to change transmission/ engine management parameters or have a qualified shop do it.
I sent my PCM to ECS for a mail order tune.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:20 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by [b
whipitnow][/b]
Originally Posted by [b
whipitnow][/b]
Whats so funny ?
Obama should have been vice pres with Bill and Chelsea as treasurer.... You know these people are strict constitutionalist and never break the law.
Originally Posted by [b
knewblewkorvette][/b]

I don't think he is kidding.....
Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bubba1951
When I decided to get a C5 I wanted a Torch red and an m6. It took be 15 months to find one within 500 miles of home. Finally found one 500 miles away. I was nervous about driving that far worrying that my definition of excellent shape was different than the sellers. When I got there it was in absolutely great shape and bought it. A week after I bought it one came up for sale just a few miles away from home also in great shape. Still I didn't regret making the trip. I'm a manual nut, I've had one since 1969. I use the car for fun, not transportation.
I have made peace with the fact that I will have to be willing to travel to find the car I want. I'm more than likely not going to find it within 500 miles. It actually makes the process a little more exciting for me. I'll be retired by then and I planned on doing some traveling after I retire anyway, this will be a good excuse for a road trip! C5s are easy to find until you start picking options and models that you want...then it gets a bit trickier...
Old 01-21-2019, 07:56 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rob 02
There are tuning devices that plug into the OBD port or PCM to change transmission/ engine management parameters or have a qualified shop do it.
I sent my PCM to ECS for a mail order tune.
So what does it do? Make the tranny shift at different RPMs, shift harder, or what?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Whats so funny ?

Bwahahahahah! That's good stuff right there. Pure comedy. You should go on the circuit.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
So what does it do? Make the tranny shift at different RPMs, shift harder, or what?

The amount of adjustable parameters & tweaks a tuner can do are really dependent on 2 things: what type of OEM software is controlling the TCM & their ability to "crack" it + the year/type of automatic transmission they're dealing with. Older model LSx cars are tuned via EFI live I believe & newer models w/ HP tuners (this goes for both engine & tranny tuning) - TBH most of the time a basic tune on a vehicle is MUCH more noticeable in terms of improved performance in an automatic car. This is because the factory "babies" they manner in which the tranny interfaces w/ the engine & how it reacts to throttle inputs given a certain RPM etc. in order to be conservative on 2 fronts: #1 avoiding warranty issues & ensuring the vehicle lives up to mechanical claims (like a 6L80E in a truck capable of towing 10k lbs for 100k miles) & #2 that people don't kill themselves (IE: the blue haired retiree putting his near 500 lb/ft TQ Denali pickup (or stingray) through the front of your local starbucks (don't laugh - it happens).

This is even more pertinent on drive by wire vehicles (vettes included) where there is no throttle cable present, the computer "feels" the throttle input & interprets the data opening/closing the TB & adding fuel based on pre-determined programming from the factory.

Some of things a tune will address: shift torque - the pressure/force w/ which the tranny will grab the next gear - higher shift torque equates to firmer/quicker shifts - this can be "uncomfortable" @ WOT for people who feel that a lexus or caddy "shifts like butter", Pulled Timing - this is something relevant to both engine & tranny tuning obviously, but it is most common for timing to get pulled in between shifts w/ auto vehicles - dropping the amount of power an engine could potentially put down & slowing the speed w/ which it can shift to the next gear + putting the engine in a less than ideal spot to maximize efficiency & power, another thing is dialing down or removing "torque mgmt" completely - the factory programming quite literally dials down the max amount of torque available to the wheels except under the most "perfect" & extreme circumstance.....I read on another GM performance blog that its essentially impossible to use all the power you paid for & is produced by the new 6.2 GM 1/2 tons due to all the electronic nannies & conservative tuning.

The shift points can also be addressed, many times on both manual & auto cars they're shifting when the engine is still building power & could still squeeze out another few hundred (or more) RPM w/o damaging the drivetrain whatsoever - this isn't a concern b/c a competant tuner is dialing in the optimal A/F ratio to enable higher RPM shift points. When & how the torque converter engages/locks up is also tunable.

To give a really good scenario of how significant a custom dyno tune can change a vehicles performance I had a G8 GT w/ 6.0 & 6L80E tranny I eventually did a bunch of bolt ons & a stall (that's a whole other convo but a tranny tune w/ a higher stall torque converter can REALLY wake things up w/o even touching motor or exhaust)- BUT there was a known TSB/warranty issue w/ these trannies exhibiting a "harsh/flare" 2-3 shift (sometimes the tranny would SLAM the gear or instead the revs would rise but wouldn't be engaging a gear for a few seconds & then slam it) - this turned out to be partly software induced - the factory tuning exacerbated a mechanical issue that had to do w/ clutch cover & ring seals being produced incorrectly, something bout the gear ring seals being inverted among other things - and while I ultimately had the mechanical portion of this issue addressed under warranty @ 103k miles (while I had a stall/headers/intake etc. - my dealer was nice/oblivious) the tune I had nearly ELIMINATED the problem all together.

Additionally, it felt like that car would just "consume" the next gear like a fiend snorting a line lol! At WOT w/ TC off it would spin/chirp the tires & get a lil sideways on the 1-2 AND 2-3 shift on dry pavement! You could "auto shift" it & would do exactly what you asked of it - & in order to limit any "jarring" or harsh engagement on manually selected downshifts I'd have to "blip" the throttle giving ever so slight amount of gas on the downshift to smooth the transition, part of the TQ mgmt issue- you get used to it & really livens up an automatic performance car (or any vehicle for that matter many guys tune their trucks & the new DI motors can make even more gains w/ a tune alone)

To be clear - I asked my tuner to put my car @ the most aggressive settings possible - full shift torque, no pulled timing, 0% torque mgmt - that's not for everyone & the great thing is you can get it adjusted to be to your liking.

All that being said, again, M6 or M7 is the only way to go in a vette IMO
Old 01-21-2019, 12:03 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Whats so funny ?

Now I'm peeing my pants

Get notified of new replies

To How boring is a GEEZER auto compared to a stick....

Old 01-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

The cars that I want are 1000 miles away and one is 18 and the other 20..... but they are real nice...

Thanks for any help.

If you want a stick, hold out for one. Even if you have to travel further to buy the right car, it's worth it. My first Corvette, a C3, was an automatic. So when I was shopping for a C5, a manual was my only non-negotiable option. It's my daily driver. And I have no regrets. The clutch pedal on a C5 is not that heavy. It's more fun to drive than an auto, and it's slightly faster.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

I have succumbed to Geezerism, I bought a AUTO and I am glad I did. I am way to big of a goof to drive this car with a stick. On the way home I got caught in a rainstorm that was the worst I had been in years and it was rush hour and I soon realized the merits of a auto for me.

My legs and feet are way to big in this car to have to shift it manually, I will have to post some pictures. The only thing about the car that was what I was looking for was the top is black but I think the original owner has better taste than me because I think the car is great even though I settled but that has turned into love.....
Old 02-13-2019, 08:26 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

My C5 is a MN6. I used to it to commute in DC suburban traffic for years - no regrets. Like a shark among the minnows.

Our "other" car has a modern 8 speed auto, which is outstanding. No need to paddle shift it, although you can. No comparison at all to GM's sluggish 4 speeds in the C5. It's also near silent, ultra comfortable with excellent seats, has AWD and is a real pleasure to put the miles on. Anything over about a 100 miles and choosing it over the C5 is a no brainer.

Quick Reply: How boring is a GEEZER auto compared to a stick....