Sponsored by:

C5 Road Trip to DC

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 AM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts
Default C5 Road Trip to DC

My wonderful wife has agreed to take another road trip in our C5. Last year we left our East Texas home and travelled to Bowling Green, on up to Louisville, then spent a few days in Eureka Springs, Arkansas before returning home. The old C5 performed flawlessly, even in heavy rain from our home to Memphis, and was surprisingly comfortable. I let her pick our next destination and she chose Washington DC. My online research shows that driving in DC is not a good idea due to gridlock, parking scarcity and high costs when you do find a place to park. There were suggestions to book a hotel away from DC (Bethesda, McLean) and use public transport into and around DC. Suggestions, please.

Her other option is Niagara Falls. Is that a more Corvette friendly environment?
Old 01-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

You don't NEED to stay in DC to experience it, as the Metro (train system) is great. HOWEVER, they are shutting down a couple of the lines for repair this summer, which is going to send the system haywire.
In their brilliancy, they bought new train cars which are twice the weight of the old ones. The track foundations are crumbling; can't imagine why!!

Book one of the nicer hotels in DC, like the W, or JW Marriott, Trump, or the like. And just park the car in their garage and leave it for the duration of your stay. You will not need the car during your stay. Just use the train system or Uber or the like. The roads in DC are not great, but you can drive a C5 on them just fine. Traffic is manageable, just have to stay in or out during the rush hours.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-07-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Mineolajoe

Her other option is Niagara Falls. Is that a more Corvette friendly environment?
A few years ago I drove my '01 from Wis to Connecticut and stopped at Niagara Falls for two nights. No problems whatsoever. Everyone should see Niagara Falls in their lifetime.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You don't NEED to stay in DC to experience it, as the Metro (train system) is great. HOWEVER, they are shutting down a couple of the lines for repair this summer, which is going to send the system haywire.
In their brilliancy, they bought new train cars which are twice the weight of the old ones. The track foundations are crumbling; can't imagine why!!

Book one of the nicer hotels in DC, like the W, or JW Marriott, Trump, or the like. And just park the car in their garage and leave it for the duration of your stay. You will not need the car during your stay. Just use the train system or Uber or the like. The roads in DC are not great, but you can drive a C5 on them just fine. Traffic is manageable, just have to stay in or out during the rush hours.
Thanks for the info. I’ll give it some thought.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM
aligator
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

i would suggest that you do the falls then drive east thru the finger lakes area, not on thruway. Then north to Lake George.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:54 PM
flyingmfrc
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 271 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Unmodified

Maybe you've already been here.... but if you haven't been to Northern Arizona, you are missing some of the most dramatic scenery on the planet. You do have to watch weather closely in the Winter because there will be some higher altitudes. But even the Winter scenery is very impressive. I'd be happy to give you some pointers on what to see.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:12 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

If you do Niagara Falls be sure to cross to the Canadian side for a better view of the falls. No much to see from the NY side so it's hardly worth the trip. I lived near DC in the 70's and did my best to avoid the city. Commuter traffic is insane and lots of crazy drivers in a hurry compound the problem. Good luck, have fun, don't forget the Corvette wave!

Last edited by DDaaryl; 01-07-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:37 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aligator
i would suggest that you do the falls then drive east thru the finger lakes area, not on thruway. Then north to Lake George.
I agree. The Finger Lakes area in NY is a great ride in a C5. And maybe stop at Letchworth State Park.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Both are great places to see. I don't know if i would take my vette anywhere near D.C. The Falls is the place were you can enjoy the Car and the destination.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:58 PM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

My two cents, best place to stay is Crystal City. Tons of hotels (one for every budget,) plenty of parking in the hotels, lots of walkable restaurants, and one or two subway stops to most major tourist destinations.

Traffic can be brutal, but the worst of it is suburb to suburb at rush hour. FWIW, the Metro is unbearable at rush hour too unless you are a sardine. I rarely drive anything in DC; between the potholes, the parking, and the traffic cameras it is not hospitable to drivers.

The following users liked this post:
NMYDNA (01-09-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:09 PM
flyingmfrc
Burning Brakes

Hey- I guess none of us has asked when you are taking your trip???? I used to live in Arlington and worked in Crystal City. That was the early 70s, before the Subway. Sounds like traffic has gotten a lot worse. Aw, just come to Arizona, but I'm sure you would enjoy New England and the Falls too.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

We are planning on taking this DC or Niagara trip in May if that makes a difference. I’d prefer going west to the Grand Canyon or Arizona but she gets to pick the destination this time. But she loves Vegas. Hmmmm. Might get to head west after all!😁
Old 01-07-2019, 05:05 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

We are planning on taking this DC or Niagara trip in May if that makes a difference. I’d prefer going west to the Grand Canyon or Arizona but she gets to pick the destination this time. But she loves Vegas. Hmmmm. Might get to head west after all!😁
I thought Vegas would be closer than DC, but both trips are around 1400 miles.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 PM
flyingmfrc
Burning Brakes

May is a good time to travel. You have to go through Northern Arizona to get to Vegas.....LOL.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM
run1fsr
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I live in the area, and DC is a great city to visit … but I wouldn’t drive my Corvette there. For starters, do not come until after the government has reopened. Much of what you may want to see is now closed to tourists.

FYI - The comfortable hotels in DC are pricey. Guest parking is limited or non-existent at some, so your car will likely get stashed in the garage of a nearby office building.

I personally would stay in McLean / Tysons. Many hotels and restaurants with easy access to the new Metro line. And from Tysons you can take a nice drive to visit Udvar-Hazy Center (National Air and Space Museum) in Chantilly, VA. I’ve attached a link. Awesome museum that’s a Must See!!

https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center
Old 01-07-2019, 06:25 PM
run1fsr
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I live in the area, and DC is a great city to visit … but I wouldn’t drive my Corvette there. For starters, wait until after the government has reopened. Much of what you may want to see is now closed to tourists.

FYI - The comfortable hotels in DC are pricey. Guest parking is limited or non-existent at some, so your car will likely get stashed in the garage of a nearby office building.

I personally would stay in McLean / Tysons. Many hotels and restaurants with easy access to the new Metro line. And from Tysons you can take a nice drive to visit Udvar-Hazy Center (National Air and Space Museum) in Chantilly, VA. I’ve attached a link. Awesome museum that’s a Must See!!

https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center
Old 01-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

Originally Posted by JR-01
I thought Vegas would be closer than DC, but both trips are around 1400 miles.
Our last road trip was around 1,400 miles so either would be good with me. Heck, I’m ready to hit Niagara, then head for San Francisco but Bev isn’t as big on road trips as I am. She prefers cruise ships. We take ocean cruises two or three times a year (going to Cuba in March) so this road trip is just to keep me happy.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Road Trip to DC

Old 01-07-2019, 06:56 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Our last road trip was around 1,400 miles so either would be good with me. Heck, I’m ready to hit Niagara, then head for San Francisco but Bev isn’t as big on road trips as I am. She prefers cruise ships. We take ocean cruises two or three times a year (going to Cuba in March) so this road trip is just to keep me happy.
There is nothing like a road trip in a Corvette.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

Amen, Brother!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Wait till the Giverment Shutdown ends

With the ridiculous Government Shutdown NONE of the Smithsonian Museums, the Zoo, and most everything you would want to visit are CLOSED. You can go to the Lincoln Memorial but they locked up the restrooms, They do have 6 portajohns which are overflowing. Traffic right now is light due to the Govt workers off from their jobs but I would not recommend heading up here till they resolve this stupid shutdown. What a joke. The Govt is OUT OF MONEY! Give me a break. They need to make this funding thing automatic not use it as a political football.

Last edited by bighank; 01-07-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 Road Trip to DC