Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make the switch to LED's or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:36 AM
getherejune
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Make the switch to LED's or not?

Hi guys-so, i'm changing out my front DLR/Turn signal lenses to a smoked lens set. Contemplating switching those over to led's with hyper flash harness and switchback LED's. Here is my question-seems like the main reason for the switch is the heat from the stock bulbs throw off some heat, eventually frying the seals/lenses, and letting water in and then you start blowing bulbs. either that or some folks want brighter lights/different blink sequence. Ours is not a daily driver-only sees good weather (which here in PNW is about 3 or 4 months in the summer!). So we are talking about maybe 4K miles per year. Im not real particular about the brightness of the DLR's or the blinkers, or what pattern, but should i be concerned about the heat issue? Car has 45K on it now and i don't seem to have any seal/lens issues (other than they look old) with the stock set up. I'm just a teacher and don't have money burning a hole in my pocket-the lenses were something we wanted to do because they are going to definitely look better. I only want to go the LED's if its justified for my particular circumstance. I can totally see it if i lived in arizona or so cal where we would be putting more miles on and out a ton at night, or if it were a DD, but not the case for us...thanks in advance for any advice
jp
Old 01-14-2019, 01:35 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Going to LEDs is worth it for the heat issue alone. Switchbacks are used because people like white running lights and DRLs. You can get 3157 amber only LED bulbs that have two different brightness levels, just like the regular incandescent bulbs. Choose whichever tickles your fancy, but a hyperflash harness is a must.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:30 AM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You don't have to go quite this nuts.... but there are lots of options from this forum vendor: https://radioflyerinnovations.com/sh...pgrade-package

I bought the whole thing- new black/clear lenses, switchback harness, led strip mod, etc. I still haven't got around to installing all of it though so I can't give any feedback on the install yet.

I bought based on many good comments from many forum members on this vendor.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 285 Posts

Using LEDs for things that "stay on all the time" is OK - when you start using them for "things that flash" that can get tricky - there are "hyperflash harnesses and resistors" available - but I've read many stories here of struggles.

Using LEDs for headlights is getting controversial with the complaints of people being blinded by oncoming cars. With the vette being so low this typically isn't a problem. I'm going to an HID projector setup for the low beams and LED for the highs.

I also have a 4runner and on that forum lots of talk about LED light bars and all the rest. I think these things are a fad that will pass - in this application they "throw light everyplace" and also can't melt snow and ice. On my new bumper I'm skipping the LED light bar and going with (focused) PIAA fog lamps.

Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

The housing will melt from the inside out, so you would need to pull the bulbs & check, my car is a 2003 just under 10,000 miles, pictured is my passenger side housing inside above where the bulb snaps in at that mileage. My driver side is perfect, so you may or may not have any problems as mine was only the one side, I now run Radioflyer DRL's in std amber.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 AM
Josephu
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

My passenger side melted a hole right through. Popped the bulb. I replaced the bulb, and now that the heat can get out, I havent had a problem.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, the stock bulbs do put off a lot of heat and over time will melt the plastic of the housing and allow water intrusion. I had to replace the housing on the ‘03 I had for this reason. The LEDs will solve that problem, but only you can determine whether the change is cost justified. I ended up just replacing the housing and leaving in the OEM bulb, but I seriously thought about changing to LEDs (already had the hyper flash harness). Sold the car before I made any changes.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:32 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

I had to replace the housings on my 2004 DD at about 40K miles They were melted through at the tops. I experimented with LEDs, switchbacks and non switchbacks. I was not satisfied withe the brightness or the look. I went back to the OEM incandescent bulbs. 117k miles now and no problems. Lens are looking a little yellowed. May replace the housings again. Maybe next year.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I installed clear lenses and LEDs/switchbacks along with the hyper flash harness after I discovered the original lenses had burn holes. It’s a pretty straightforward install and I like the look and reliability.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:30 PM
getherejune
Instructor

Thanks for all the opinions guys-totally aware of what needs to be done as far as the harness and bulbs. That is an easy change for sure. Sounds like its kind of a hit or miss as to how much/how bad your lenses get fried. Think what i'll do is remove the lenses and check out the meltage...if its bad, i'll make the switch. I gotta be careful because sometimes i tend to buy stuff just to give me something cool to do on the car! (guess thats my weekness )
Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc508520
I think these things are a fad that will pass -
Good Luck!
Most cars built in the last few years are almost all LED.
I think the use of incandescent bulbs is what will pass into history soon.
But to each their own.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:18 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrprich
Most cars built in the last few years are almost all LED.
I think the use of incandescent bulbs is what will pass into history soon.
But to each their own.
I think so too. Especially with new electric cars that will need every bit of electricity to maximize their range.

Besides, LED light bars are a much more elegant way of doing DRLs than using the turn signals or dimmed headlights. More than a few countries require DRLs.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 PM
getherejune
Instructor

Thanks for all advice guys-decided to bite the bullet and go LED's. Guys at Corvette Envy made the deal too good to pass up, so will do this once and be good to go and not have to worry about molten plastic in the future
jp
Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

I have the RadioFlyer switchbacks and couldn’t be happier. The white LED DRLs definitely update the look of the car but still have the amber turn signals. I get compliments all the time from fellow C5 owners.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:14 AM
getherejune
Instructor

OH FUDGE! did i mess something up here? i ordered the smoked depot drl lenses that upon closer inspection appears to be clear (ie not amber side marker lenses). So, does that mean i need to put an amber 194 led in there for the side marker led's to be legal? I know my switchbacks will be amber until i turn the lights on, then will turn white. i'm talking about the side markers that take the 194 bulbs. Don't want to get pulled over for something as stupid as the color of a light!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by getherejune
OH FUDGE! did i mess something up here? i ordered the smoked depot drl lenses that upon closer inspection appears to be clear (ie not amber side marker lenses). So, does that mean i need to put an amber 194 led in there for the side marker led's to be legal? I know my switchbacks will be amber until i turn the lights on, then will turn white. i'm talking about the side markers that take the 194 bulbs. Don't want to get pulled over for something as stupid as the color of a light!
I would assume all states require that you run an amber bulb.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:26 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

194 amber LEDs are available. I got the one with the 3014 chips and they are stupid bright, brigher than my switchback ambers.

Get notified of new replies

To Make the switch to LED's or not?

Old 01-15-2019, 01:13 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by getherejune
Go ahead and use white. I've never had a problem with the clear corner lense with white 194 combo here

Old 01-15-2019, 01:14 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdmvette

Go ahead and use white. I've never had a problem with the clear corner lense with white 194 combo here

Really just depends on the state and the cops in the area.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

I would use an Amber 194, they’ll still show through the smoke lens when lit.

Quick Reply: Make the switch to LED's or not?