Sponsored by:

Modern Spare

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Modern Spare

I'm planning on a long road trip this summer, and since I hate run flats, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with "Modern Spare." I travel light so room wouldn't be a problem. But are they sized liked the a standard tire, or are they some kind of a donut?
Old 01-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Z06Berlin
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Default tire

Have you considered buying a can of instant air? This is what I carry in car.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,935 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It is still not terribly difficult to find a spare from an 04-6 Pontiac GTO. And generally way cheaper than the Modern Spare brand.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:55 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would really suggest not carrying a spare tire in a C5. While you say that you will have room for it, how will you secure it? Even a narrow diameter spare can be a missile if you should get into an accident or the car spins.

You will also need a suitable jack and tools to remove a tire and to mount the spare. There is not really a whole lot of clearance from the ground to the jacking points. Even less if you carry a set of "hockey pucks" for the pad on the jack. Try this: let all of the air out of a rear tire and then measure the distance from the ground to one of jacking points (helps to measure the distance with a puck in place too). Then measure the height of the pad on the jack to the ground. Will the jack fit under the car with a deflated tire??

Think about having to change a tire while along side of the road with traffic going by just a few feet away from you. Or when the rain is coming down hard. I think the best deal is to leave the run-flats on the car assuming the tread is deep enough and there is no indication of any sidewall cracking or dry rot or that the tire date code is within 5-7 years. If you aren't a AAA member, join up and get the extended coverage for emergency road service. AAA has coverages for up to 200 miles. Keep your cell phone charged up too! Would be a good idea to carry a small 12v air compressor and a can of tire sealant like Slime or Fix-A-Flat. That stuff could help with getting the car to a shop so that a tire can be repaired properly.
The following 3 users liked this post by c4cruiser:
Joe Scafide (12-22-2020), Westy R (12-22-2020), Yello95 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

I have one of those instant repair gizmos that inflates the tire and sprays some kind of gunk inside to plug the hole. But that's not going to cut it if you blow a sidewall. And if you've ever been out in west Texas, or northern Nv., there's not a whole lot out there, not to mention lousy cell service. Modern Spare sells as a kit, a low profile scissor jack, and lug wrench.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:20 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I would really suggest not carrying a spare tire in a C5. While you say that you will have room for it, how will you secure it? Even a narrow diameter spare can be a missile if you should get into an accident or the car spins.

You will also need a suitable jack and tools to remove a tire and to mount the spare. There is not really a whole lot of clearance from the ground to the jacking points. Even less if you carry a set of "hockey pucks" for the pad on the jack. Try this: let all of the air out of a rear tire and then measure the distance from the ground to one of jacking points (helps to measure the distance with a puck in place too). Then measure the height of the pad on the jack to the ground. Will the jack fit under the car with a deflated tire??

Think about having to change a tire while along side of the road with traffic going by just a few feet away from you. Or when the rain is coming down hard. I think the best deal is to leave the run-flats on the car assuming the tread is deep enough and there is no indication of any sidewall cracking or dry rot or that the tire date code is within 5-7 years. If you aren't a AAA member, join up and get the extended coverage for emergency road service. AAA has coverages for up to 200 miles. Keep your cell phone charged up too! Would be a good idea to carry a small 12v air compressor and a can of tire sealant like Slime or Fix-A-Flat. That stuff could help with getting the car to a shop so that a tire can be repaired properly.

Wow, well said.
The only thing I would add is since the C5's front and rear wheels are about an inch different in height, would you not have to carry two spares???
Old 01-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
The only thing I would add is since the C5's front and rear wheels are about an inch different in height, would you not have to carry two spares???
This is like the one thing everyone seems to conveniently forget about when talking about physical spares; your wheel and tire combo is staggered. You can't, realistically, carry any sort of spare that would safely account for two different distinctive wheel and tire sizes. You do not want to put a spare on the car and try and drive it. One corner of the car is going to be severely compromised, and if you've never seen a car crash in front of you on a spare it's fairly brutal (a few years back a Mazda 3 on a spare doing around ~55 MPH crashed in front of me on the highway attempting a lane maneuver; straight into the retaining wall and heavily destroyed the passenger side of the cabin).
Old 01-26-2019, 06:54 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

I carry Fix-A-Flat: https://www.fixaflat.com/us/index.php
Plus a kit to fix flats on the road if necessary:
Amazon Amazon
That said, I am glad I was only 1/4 mile from home when this happened to the rear tire of my 2001 C5:

Two cans od Fix-A-Flat got me there, but just barely.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:55 PM
Josephu
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

depending on how far you have to go, and at what speed, A spare on the front is not really a problem. Its getting the scissors jack under the car that could be a problem. Carry one or two 2' x10' x10' pieces of wood in the storage compartment. Just drive up on the wood. Youll be good to go. Now the problem with the rear, is the posi unit. Two different size tires on the rear is going to slip the clutches, and that aint good. If youre on an expressway, you should just drive 55 and get off at the next exit. Going slow wont generate much heat, and you can possibly find a tire store.. You do what you have to do. And heres just one reason to run a good synthetic gear oil in that rear end. Synthetic will hold up much better in heat than a conventional fluid. Just sayin, I think everybody knows that by now. Enjoy your trip.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (12-22-2020)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Some sound advice above. Best bet - emergency road service and a cell phone.

But the choice is yours.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:06 AM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

Bought a kit from WM, tire sealer and small comp. size of a carton of butts total.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:46 AM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

You can use a plug kit in a situation that’s not to bad
Old 01-27-2019, 10:26 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

You probably should have bought a Mailbu - they come with a spare tire. No worries about run flats with those babies!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:29 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tbrowne
You probably should have bought a Mailbu - they come with a spare tire. No worries about run flats with those babies!
Or I could just use my '57 Chevy, or the '67 Mustang. But neither one would be as fun to drive on a long road trip.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:08 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Aaa
Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 AM
Bushman66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

"Cell Phone or Fix a Flat". Hmmmm. What about those times that you are miles from cell coverage? Or have damage like the poster above that isn't being fixed with a can of slime? Or you are one of us who lives in Phoenix and would prefer not to wait by the side of the road waiting for Roadside Assistance for an hour or two when it's 113 degrees outside?

Anyway, to answer the original poster, here is what I did for my 2004 Z06. Works perfectly, and I can easily get the PT Cruiser jack under an aluminum lifting puck with a completely flat tire, no boards or ramps required. If I get the flat in the front, I'll turn off traction control and get myself back on the road.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ta-c5-z06.html
Old 01-28-2019, 09:33 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette

Wow, well said.
you would want to get a tire that matches the rear diameter. That way you don’t wreak havoc on your diff if it happens to the rear tire.

If it happens to the front, you’ll just have weird handling which will require you to be very careful.

I cant believe I’m reading posts where people are actively talking down towards being prepared. ”do you really want to be changing a tire on the side of the road!?!?” No, I also don’t want to have a flat at all though.
jbelant (01-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Modern Spare

Old 01-28-2019, 10:19 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bushman66
"Cell Phone or Fix a Flat". Hmmmm. What about those times that you are miles from cell coverage? Or have damage like the poster above that isn't being fixed with a can of slime? Or you are one of us who lives in Phoenix and would prefer not to wait by the side of the road waiting for Roadside Assistance for an hour or two when it's 113 degrees outside?

Anyway, to answer the original poster, here is what I did for my 2004 Z06. Works perfectly, and I can easily get the PT Cruiser jack under an aluminum lifting puck with a completely flat tire, no boards or ramps required. If I get the flat in the front, I'll turn off traction control and get myself back on the road.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ta-c5-z06.html
Thanks for that.
JimHarris4 (12-24-2020)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:52 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
It is still not terribly difficult to find a spare from an 04-6 Pontiac GTO. And generally way cheaper than the Modern Spare brand.
The GTO has a slightly different PCD, which puts bending loads on the studs - not a good idea. C4's have the correct PCD (4.75"), but I am not sure about the outer diameter. There do seem to be quite a few C4 "donuts" up for sale though.

Last edited by jackthelad; 01-28-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:17 PM
Bushman66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
The GTO has a slightly different PCD, which puts bending loads on the studs - not a good idea. C4's have the correct PCD (4.75"), but I am not sure about the outer diameter. There do seem to be quite a few C4 "donuts" up for sale though.
To correct the bolt pattern misalignment, I ordered a custom wheel adapter from https://www.motorsport-tech.com. I decided on a 42mm width adapter to ensure the factory wheel studs did not protrude outside of the Adapter. This also means that I won't have to grind out the center of the GTO wheel, ensuring the wheel correctly centers on the hub. Stock stud size.

Specs for adapter as follows:

2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE_C5_ZO6
Your Bolt Pattern: 5x120.7mm
Your Hub Diameter: 70.3mm
Type: One Piece Adapter
Hub Centric to Car & Wheel Centric to Wheel
Thickness: 42mm
Stud Size: 12x1.5
Center Bore: 69.5mm
Diameter: 5 by 120 (4.72 inches)
Price each: 75.00
Total Quantity: 1