C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may move to a C6

Old 02-01-2019, 04:00 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

If I were to move up it would be to a c7 at the very least...the c6 just does not seem to stand out to me unless it's a z06 or zr1..
Old 02-01-2019, 04:42 PM
BlackHellcat
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

C6 > C5 obviously. If you plan to go mod crazy well then just keep the C5.

I have had 2 C6 Corvettes (LS2 C6 & a C6Z) & I now have a 600+ WHP C5. Stock v stock the C6 is obviously the better car by many miles. When you start modding, it doesn't matter. Then it comes down to which body style & interior do you prefer or do you even care?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:34 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,309 Likes on 988 Posts

We have a 2009 C6 and a a C5 Z06 (moderately modded but still very daily driver capable). We drive both daily, my girlfriend puts more miles on the C6 but when we go out to eat, the store, church, wherever...I can't say either of us have a preference. The cars are different sure...and granted a Z06 gives me that edge to be a closer comparison but overall they just aren't vastly different cars. You sit a wee higher in the C6, the LS3 has more grunt but the LS6 feels plenty capable and my car is over 100lbs lighter than hers (per my scales). Visually, she really tends to like my C5Z better...I think both are fine if you make them look right. The LS3 vs the LS1 though...that's a big gap, so that's something to consider....the LS3 car is quick for sure...much more so than the LS1 C5's.

At the core though, same architecture. The C6's interior is better as a daily, mainly due to cup holders are better, ingress/egress is a little easier and it's a little easier to work on the LS3 than the LS1/6...just a wee more room in some areas.

Personally, we're talking about a payment vs a payment...it's one thing if you don't have a payment, but will take on one...but...in the end, I'd work the numbers, get financing pre-approved from your bank or credit union lender, see what they can offer you in terms of interest rate. Put the real numbers down in front of you...and then that's that. This "do you have kids", blah blah blah...I think that entire statement was predicated on a borderline insult by saying you owe money on a 18yr old car. So what...if you can afford the cost, and it's worth it for you to get up and go to work or push for your goals, then do it.
The following users liked this post:
Irish31 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Scarlett-73
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a similar dilemma, but I own my C5 FRC outright. Drove a 08 Z06 today, and it was very tight with the most forgiving clutch I've ever seen. Nice power in the LS7 too. I don't have any big debt to worry about and my kids are both adults. At the same time the thought of parting with my C5 is hard, as it runs so well and has some tasteful mods that make it superior to a C5Z. I will probably hold on to it for another year I've become too attached.

If I had any debt on it, I would definitely wait until I had the pink slip to make an upgrade,.....
Old 02-01-2019, 07:30 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

A Corvette (any Corvette) is purely a luxury item. With this in mind do you want to get more debit for a C6? Both do exactly the same thing. I would put the money (if you have to spend) into myself. Go on a nice vacation, buy great food or needed furniture. Enjoy life and enjoy your current ride. IMHO. Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
We have a 2009 C6 and a a C5 Z06 (moderately modded but still very daily driver capable). We drive both daily, my girlfriend puts more miles on the C6 but when we go out to eat, the store, church, wherever...I can't say either of us have a preference. The cars are different sure...and granted a Z06 gives me that edge to be a closer comparison but overall they just aren't vastly different cars. You sit a wee higher in the C6, the LS3 has more grunt but the LS6 feels plenty capable and my car is over 100lbs lighter than hers (per my scales). Visually, she really tends to like my C5Z better...I think both are fine if you make them look right. The LS3 vs the LS1 though...that's a big gap, so that's something to consider....the LS3 car is quick for sure...much more so than the LS1 C5's.

At the core though, same architecture. The C6's interior is better as a daily, mainly due to cup holders are better, ingress/egress is a little easier and it's a little easier to work on the LS3 than the LS1/6...just a wee more room in some areas.

Personally, we're talking about a payment vs a payment...it's one thing if you don't have a payment, but will take on one...but...in the end, I'd work the numbers, get financing pre-approved from your bank or credit union lender, see what they can offer you in terms of interest rate. Put the real numbers down in front of you...and then that's that. This "do you have kids", blah blah blah...I think that entire statement was predicated on a borderline insult by saying you owe money on a 18yr old car. So what...if you can afford the cost, and it's worth it for you to get up and go to work or push for your goals, then do it.
No one has ever made a bad financial decision?. Many people have done this impulse desire and regretted it.
So to say that wife and kids and college etc are not a consideration , that would be a bad move.. since nothing was mentioned in the original post, consideration for those things were asked.by me.

. I can afford to buy a couple of New C7 Z's, but that will be selfish of me. Only because I have to consider my wife and children and grandchildren, Its a a very self centered and selfish person who puts his desires above that of his family. Since the guy was trying to convince himself.. ( easy read between the lines.. "Only owed 9K and pays 350 for insurance etc ) ( since he will break even on a trade does anyone actually think the C6 is worth 19K more than his C5? ) .If the guy could afford 19K on top of his " NUT ".. he would not need encouragement from anyone here. Could he swing it??? I'm sure he could , but would it be the right move..?? I think not. That's why we have opinions here..
98% of the 30,000 private messages I 've received over my 18 years here start out with " ET, I value your advice and respect your honesty and guidance "
Bill aka ET
Old 02-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I would never make that move.
Bill aka ET

My lord man take a step back for a minute and think rationally....
Both old, you know what you have already vs the unknown...
And so very little difference in any world...
I honestly just don't see it as any kind if smart move... YMMV but mine won't
Think ahead brutha.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 PM
Booger789
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I went and drove it tonight but popping the hood itt has an oil leak on the front seal. I really liked the auto C6 with the paddle shifter. But I walked away, it did not quite feel right. And the car had no maintenance history with it. To many unknowns for me so im keeping my C5 for awhile longer.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Good choice.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:35 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

I really like Bill's (ET) take on this.

Also agree with others on at the very least keeping the C5 until it's paid off... Puts you in a much better position.

Lastly, a couple more years will allow you to continue enjoying the Corvette you've come to know and love while prices for other generations "adjust" (likely in your favor)... especially when/if the C8 is available. And the C8 may influence folks to sell their C_ a bit quicker.

Heck, you may actually find that the C8 moves you to want to find a way to jump a few generations too!

Last edited by FrankLP; 02-02-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Evil-Twin (02-03-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Sean_emory
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts

Good choice. Sometimes you just need to appreciate what you got (a well sorted Corvette). What a shame it would be to trade a well driving car in and pickup one with problems. Definitely possible even with due diligence.

Last edited by Sean_emory; 02-02-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:42 PM
BlackHellcat
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Booger789
Well I went and drove it tonight but popping the hood itt has an oil leak on the front seal. I really liked the auto C6 with the paddle shifter. But I walked away, it did not quite feel right. And the car had no maintenance history with it. To many unknowns for me so im keeping my C5 for awhile longer.
Oil leaks are super common on the C6. Nothing to worry about unless it's enough to hit the floor when you park it
Old 02-03-2019, 03:16 AM
GEODON
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

do it op lifes short
Old 02-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Life is indeed short, and also when you are dead, you are dead for a long time..
But how selfish or generous you are will define your life with your friends and family. When I say generous, it does not mean necessarily just money, People can be generous with their time given to others, or selfish and not offer anything to anyone. People can be empathetic or not give a rat 'sass about anyone. but them self.

If I was not a Family man with a wife and kids and grandkids, with my health and my mortality round third base, my generosity would be different. Round third and heading home, I feel comfortable, in not owing anything to anyone, Zero CC debt, everything paid off, a good financial advisor. And If I go tomorrow , they will be in good shape. To me, a New C7 Z would be a selfish purchase, given my age and health. While the OP is much younger than me, there are no guarantees on mortality or life in general. You can go out at 40 years of age, you can also go out with debt up to your eyeballs leaving that debt for your family to deal with , or you can go out debt free, and leave them with only great memories of your life and generosity.

Bill aka ET
It does not mean still having your recess money from middle school. Buying my wife a New 2019 Car of her choice a few months ago for our 50th wedding anniversary and being financially secure in doing so and walking out with the title insuring no finance charges or debt. Is how a financially responsible family man handles his purchases. Note, I did not ask anyone here if I should buy a New car for my wife. This is not bragging, this is the Path I chose when I got married 50 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
ArmchairArchitect (02-05-2019), red03vette (02-05-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 PM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Agreed, ET!

ET makes sense.
What could you do with that money since you already have a great car? Invest it? Pay towards house, school, etc. But as always, you get to decide.
Good luck either way.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 02-04-2019 at 12:03 AM.
ArmchairArchitect (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Here is a strategy that I use. When a 20 year old car become familiar, it only takes a change of scenery, not necessarily a New car.

For those of us who love our cars but at times seem to be a bit boring even though you have it just exactly how you like it. But the urge for change creeps in especially if your car is 15 or 20 years old. Even a brand new car can have its newness rub off in a short time. So here is my strategy, for a car that is perfect. fopr me , my C5. Here is the trick, Add a psychic energizer, like a new Head unit, or New seat skins, some visually pleasing sensory enhancement. 500, or 1000 dollars.... this is far better than throwing 19 grand at a Car that may only be half as perfect as the one you call your own right now. This is just advice , after the fact that the OP has moved off the C6. EG I just Added New seat skins, to my car, replacing my almost perfect MidAmerica Skins . . While I was at it I replaced my lumbar and bolster bladders. It gave my car a fresh look comfort and smell of real 100% leather. It saved me from spending 70K on a New C7. and I still love my C5
Bill aka ET.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:14 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,309 Likes on 988 Posts

Buy it, do what you want. If it makes you happy and makes you more motivated, do it.

Get notified of new replies

To I may move to a C6

Old 02-04-2019, 04:29 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I have no advice, perse, but I'll offer this.

I recently sold my C5 (modded nicely and a TON of fun) to buy a C6. The 13 is nice, yes. A LOT nicer than the C5 from a new-ish / updated feel. The interior is much nicer and the heated seats would be wonderful if I ever drove it when it was cold out.

I became pretty good friends with the guy who bought my C5. He's beyond thrilled with it, and regularly remarks how he can't believe he got it for what I sold it to him for. (Was a 120K mi 98 Z51 Vert w/all new everything). This area has very few vettes, so mine was a great deal more priced toward the national market vs local. (lower).

I've ridden in that car a few times now since selling it. Other than new tires, it's 100% as I sold it. Been bulletproof for him (I'm very happy he's had good luck with it, anything can happen). I am duly impressed at how nice that car is. I didn't realize it till after I sold it, but it's pretty damn awesome. I've had a wild hair up my azz since getting it that I wanted a C6, wanted keyless go, the fixed headlights, and though I never really thought I'd buy one, wanted an LS7. Well, I scratched that itch, but in hindsight, I'm a lot like the guy who sold me his C6, wondering if it was 'really' the best idea for me.

I love both cars, and it was time for me to move on (mine was owned 6 years and paid cash for). But to be honest, the grass really isn't 'that' much greener. Not to justify the cost imho.

Worth $0.02 at least. YMMV.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I love both cars, and it was time for me to move on (mine was owned 6 years and paid cash for). But to be honest, the grass really isn't 'that' much greener. Not to justify the cost imho.

Worth $0.02 at least. YMMV.
You have discovered some life lessons in that the grass my look a lot greener on the other side, that is until you jump the fence and find its almost the same grass. Sure, there is a time to move on, but there is also something called buyers remorse. ( did I make a mistake )or not getting all the bang you thought for more money than the buzz for getting something, actually newer lasted.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 02-05-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
You have discovered some life lessons in that the grass my look a lot greener on the other side, that is until you jump the fence and find its almost the same grass. Sure, there is a time to move on, but there is also something called buyers remorse. ( did I make a mistake )or not getting all the bang you thought for more money than the buzz for getting something, actually newer lasted.
Bill aka ET
For me, I think part of the trouble is I bought a car expensive enough that I'm reluctant to devalue it. If that makes sense? Where I cared for my C5 and treated it like an important possession, I drove it in the rain and didn't care if I put miles on it, etc. It had stone chips and signs of miles, and there was some dirt on the floor mats, etc. The C6, well, first off it cost almost 4x as much. Instead of buying with 80+K miles, it had 23K. The paint isn't flawless, but it's on the verge of it. Driving when there's dirt/stones/salt on the road ain't happen'n. It's also a 60th CE, so... ehhh, you get the idea. There's times I wish I had my C5 back, especially for the money I got out of it. But I don't have space and something had to happen. I'm happier with the C6, but I think I'd be a lot happier if I didn't care if it was worth $0 when I was done with it.

And yea, the new car thing probably wasn't worth the additional cost. It won't change my lifestyle, but I've several times considered what my situation would be had I not bought it. Who knows which is better. You have to live some too, there's no sense in working your whole life for nothing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I may move to a C6