Sponsored by:

I'm so old I just can't remember

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Bill, since joining this forum, I've always appreciated your posts because of your engineering background and actual involvement in the production of the C5. Your post today gives a little more insight and a sneak peak into who Evil-Twin really is. As I get older, I do spend a little more time reminiscing about my past and how it shaped me into the person I am today.

I've loved Corvettes since I was a kid, building Corvette models and filling my room with them. When I was about to graduate high school, my dad offered me, as an incentive, a brand new Corvette if I attended and graduated a four year university. Although that was a great offer, I decided during my first year at USD that I just couldn't wait to graduate to get one so I bought one myself, a 1972 Stingray. I went to school full-time as an accounting major and worked full-time at night and loved every minute I drove that car!

Eventually, getting married and raising two great kids, station wagons and mini vans took the place of my beloved C3. It was many years that I longed for another Vette. Then a situation arose that had me looking for a new car and that's when I found my current beauty. Now I'm loving every minute I drive IT...My son, an accountant, also owns a C4 that he brings by that we wrench on and spend some quality father/son time...life is good.

Glad your expiration date has been extended...cheers to continued good health.

Last edited by Mr31FlavorsVette; 02-22-2019 at 02:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Evil-Twin (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:42 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I can also relate ET. Born in the ‘40s. A lifelong car guy (though not nearly approaching your level). Military service (retired USAF pilot) with time in SEA during the Vietnam war. A wonderful, devoted wife of 50 years and precious children and grandchildren. And even Cancer. I’m in the hospital now, 36 hours out from my third cancer-related surgery. Right now, my best friend is the Morphine I self-administer every 10 minutes . I’m telling you this because your post struck so close to home and really cheered me up. Like you, I’ve had a great life and so much to be thankful for. And having been the recipient myself, I certainly appreciate your quick willingness to help solve problems and give advice. THANKS!!

Last edited by Mickeyrx70; 02-22-2019 at 03:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mickeyrx70:
Evil-Twin (02-22-2019), richardnielsen (03-20-2019), USAZR1 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:36 AM
cruzbox
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My respect to you!

Bill, awesome story line, my respect and appreciation for you service to our country!
I have broken it down to Brute torque HP or Finesse HP, I have built many old school car with Brute HP and still drive a 500+ hp Street driven Vega but it’s also nice to relax on the open road in my c-5👍. Finesse HP technology is awesome and only limited to your imagination! Many ways to make a lot of hp! To each there own enjoy life a day at a time.
Evil-Twin (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Bill, thanks for the story - it is amazing how much things have changed over the years, and in some cases the changes are not necessarily good. Sounds like you have had a very full life and have done a lot of interesting and productive things. Thanks for your insight into the world of the C5 - the information really puts into perspective what went into making that generation of Corvette a great car.
Evil-Twin (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 06:10 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Evil-Twin. Thanks. Thanks on so many different levels. I'm so glad you made this particular post. Born in the early forties I feel we must have been cut out of the same cloth. From our love of automobiles, to the love of our wives (over 53 years for me) to fighting illnesses I can relate very easily to you. I've always enjoyed your posts and am so grateful you are "hanging tough". Thanks for your service to our country. Army rejected me for the Viet Nam war. Why? Because I was too skinny!! Imagine that!! Not so skinny today, though.

Oh, and "Yes", I dragged raced an Omaha PD cruiser back in the day. Got him out of the hole but he slowly gained on my '55 Bel Air with a '58 built 283. My friend was hollering the whole time.........."We're going to go to jail!!!!!!". Nope, just having some fun with Omaha's finest.

Take care and may God continue to bless you.
Evil-Twin (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 06:53 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Interesting in the reveal here that racing the local sheriff was not just unique to my town. I'm fairly sure the cops, new all of us go fast kids by name and our car. Police cars had that special built motor in most cases, but most were boat anchors. I can remember like yesterday the smiles on the cops faces when they won, or lost. It seemed to be the interaction with the local kids that drove those smiles. WE had a town with a police car that was a 63 Chevy Biscayne with a bench seat, 4 speed 409 with dual quads, 425 Horse power. That police department also had a 6 cylinder police car, and a Harley.The town was about 2 miles square. about 8,000 population The main street was two lanes each way, 35 mph speed limit.. With a section of road that was straight and flat for 1/8th mile.
I forgot to mention, we slept with our doors and windows open, no need to lock anything, and we had the time to have family picnics where different family member would bring their specially recipe. No one has time for such things today. Everything today is fast... fast food, 1 hour cleaners, quick and fast on the go. Back them everything was slow... you could stop a smell the roses.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 02-22-2019 at 07:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
IowaZR1 (02-23-2019), USAZR1 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Brunello
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 192 Posts

All those saving their cars and not driving them should drive them now. We are heading to a time where eventually human error will take us out from behind the wheel. That time is nearly here as self driving vehicles are already well on their way. As the enter into greater use and we humans keep making human errors and crashing into them, the weak link will have to be removed. I don’t necessarily think this is sad so much as just the way the world works. First horses and soon humans. For many of us ( and this goes back to the 20’s) a car is our first freedom and should bring back good memories. I bought my first car in 85 with $800 that I earned. 1974 Pontiac Lemans that was spent with 79,000 miles. Car was crap but it taught me how to take care of a car and the joy of wasting money on cosmetic “upgrades.” Cragers, bondo and primer. Knowledge gained has saved me good money over the years though having to replace an engine and trans at 16 meant a lot of retail toil. Bill, nice that you lived in the heyday. Of course, after WWII, folks wanted simple even if it was short-lived. Can’t say they didn’t deserve it. Drive em now boys! Who knows what the future holds!
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

I remember a police officer saying, "What's your father going to say when I tell him?" That was a much bigger threat than, "I'm taking you to jail." He never did tell dad.
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:17 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Bill, it's been an incredible experience having you around the C5 forum for all these years, and I absolutely loved reading your post, you've got the writing touch and know how to keep your audience attention. You obviously have a lot to be thankful for and certainly you've earned the bragging rights for not only the storied career you've had but, for raising 2 successful children that without a doubt make you proud daily. Just reading your post, the only thing that I take out of is that it personifies what the "American Dream" is all about. Corvette Forum, C5 section, and the Corvette world as a whole would be a lesser place without you, and I'm proud to call you a friend and mentor.

Thank you Bill for writing a summary of your life, it's inspirational as all get out.
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:37 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

So many kind words, I am humbles and slightly embarrassed. I was just reminiscing about my life, and put it to a thread, I really never expected all of this but at least I was able to shake out some cobwebs in my head. I think the thread sparked some reminiscing by others as well. Passing on my experiences is a good thing, I think. the only problem is time goes so quickly when you are rounding third base. Some times this forum can be more medicinal than a day in the hospital. I'm often uplifted, by the support I receive here. The salutations I receive in PM are the most touching and respectful messages that anyone could hope to receive. Some times when I feel a bit inadequate, my friends here tell me different. Its nice to be so uplifted. Thank you everyone who shared in this thread. Its been my sincere pleasure to give back, where I can to a community that supported my automotive career.
Bill aka ET
The following 2 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
Mike98SilVert (02-23-2019), TCFS (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 06:41 AM
ncali
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

That would have been a Schwinn StingRay, or for the big dollars you got an orange ,apple crate the 5 speed with the springer front end and rear slick
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 AM
ncali
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

My first "Corvette" was a Schwinn Corvette

That would have been a Sting Ray or the high dollar bikes were 5 speed with the springer front end and the racing slick back tire
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Kudos to you, Bill aka ET. Kudos, sir. : cheers:
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 08:12 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Jistari
Awesome story :-)
Sure was. Really reminds me to keep the attitude of gratitude. Thx for your service.
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 08:32 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Great story Bill. Thanks for sharing and thank you for your service!

Your reminiscing brought back memories of my buddies and I sketching our dream hot rods on scratch paper in the back of the classroom. And comparing ideas and dreams.

I recall grade school days where we'd go skating ... I'd usually get "stuffed" in the rear area of my friend's Mom's 77 Corvette! Yep, I could fit back in there!!

Life and time seems to accelerate as we get older. It's good to enjoy today and each day thereafter... stop and smell the roses as they say.

I've lost both of my parents in the past few years and being "next in line" really puts things in perspective. I've been blessed in SO many ways.

Here's to enjoying every moment,,, in the moment. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Bill.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrankLP:
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019), USAZR1 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 09:35 AM
NMYDNA
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Good post ET. Seems now that I'm older I go down memory lane a lot. Growing up in the late fifties and sixties the cars and music were the thing. Even growing up in a small mountain town we still had very much the same experiences as the big city boys. Driving thru town on Sat night in our shiny car we had cleaned on most of the day was the thing to do. Also getting a hot dog and coke at the Drive In, showing off the car and seeing what others had done to was a big part of the evening. The thing is, the cars and music are still very much alive and doing well since so many young people still enjoy them too. Just not the way we did.

I think of back then not knowing or having a clue about where my life was going, it was just that moment that mattered. Now after all these years I still enjoy the summer drive and the music. Lot's have changed with losing most of my family and some close friends, life has changed so much. But the drive and music can bring back some wonderful memories and that hasn't changed.
The following 2 users liked this post by NMYDNA:
Old 02-23-2019, 11:44 AM
IowaZR1
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 38 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Bill, Thank You for your service to our great country, and to having had a dream job and working on the Gen5 Corvette. Your Knowledge and Wit are priceless!! Thank You!! We've all heard the phrase "Jog my memory" this thread has sure done that for a lot of us. From seeing my first Corvette at the local implement dealer (Black '62 a Lawyer had bought for his son but traded it for an IH tractor as the son was headed to law school), to riding my bike downtown daily to stare at a '69 "Le Mans Blue" COPO Camaro (cowl hood, dog dish hub caps/Polyglass GT tires and column shift) at the Chevy dealer. At the time I didn't know what a "COPO" was. I can still remember the old geezer that own the dealership saying "It's just a dammed ole' Camaro" with a chuckle. I pushed my bike home the day it was gone as I was so heartbroken. My first car was a "66 Caprice 2 door, 283, 2 barrel with powerglide. My first mod was a set of air shocks to give it that "wedge" look and it also gave me the town record of longest "black mark" (2 1/2 blocks) yes, it was dog leg. The local LEO stopped that night at the "gathering'' at the local DX station and asked who did that and I claimed it. He said there was no way that Caprice could do that. LOL Had to back that same Caprice home one night after the "sludge pump" gave out thanks to unhooking the shift modulator to get a "firmer" shift. That lead to my first engine swap, a '65 425 HP 396 from the local hi performance salvage yard(the owner drag raced a '54 Corvette). I still have that engine(not for sale) having shoehorned it into several vehicles and even "circle tracked" it, with its present home in a street legal 2 seat Indy car I built and still have. I'm starting to ramble so I'll jump to my Corvettes. Having only had 2 so far, they both have given me many memories. A '93 "Black Rose" ZR1 #231(1 of 11 that color) lead to my present '02 "Millenium Yellow" Z06 I traded for it in January, 2013 and drove it home white knuckled in 2" of slushy snow. Come to think of it hauling the '93 home in my enclosed trailer from Vandergrift, PA gave me white knuckles too...lol. They both are marvels from the LT5 to the totally new C5 platform. I could go on and on but I'll end by saying.... Owning a Corvette is a feeling like nothing else....Owning a piece of history....Owning a Legend ....Owning a piece of the future as each generation of Corvettes leads to the next.
The following 2 users liked this post by IowaZR1:

Get notified of new replies

To I'm so old I just can't remember

Old 02-23-2019, 12:22 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I always enjoy reading about others experiences as I always learn something from them. E.T.'s story is very Americana and what makes this the greatest country in the world. This type of life is the foundation that will keep the USA what it is forever. When you pull back the layers manufactured "noise" you see on the news and sensationalized headlines, you realize that there are E.T.s in every generation that are making the gears of our society turn successfully. Some of the young people I deal with today would make you so proud, you would want them as a son or daughter....but you rarely hear about them, only the misfits that garner most of the headlines.

I'd love hearing other members reflect on their past experiences, life choices and business experiences.....it never gets old.

The one place that the world is passing me by is social media......I understand it but I just can't get into all the facebook, mega-texting, instagram, twitter, etc. I crave human interaction and my greatest joy at work is talking to my customers on the phone. They are often surprised that we request them to call in to get answers to their questions, etc. So many companies don't even answer the phone any more....you're requested to send an email and you'll get a response in 24-48 hours......wtf?? I'm dealing with that right now with one of my vendors. We have a minor defect problem with one of their products that would be an easy 30 second phone call to get resolved....yet I sent an email on Wednesday and I'm still awaiting a response. One of my kids has nearly 100,000 followers on instagram....that's more people than the city we live in. Where do these followers find the time to follow all these different people on social media? Don't they have lives, hobbies, work, relationships, etc? I get the social media thing, but do I really care about some celebrities comments or thoughts?.....not really.
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

n'tThey only thing I can say here is, my parents didn't get us either. I dont get the totality of social media either. It never leaves or really gets deleted, and becomes a permanent record. Too many people are willing to let people know when they are out of town, etc. many people have lost their job for bragging about things they did at the local club. bar etc. Too many people know too much about too many people's business.

This social media is going to be the downfall of so many high profile people in the coming months and years. This forum is a form of social media and I am constantly trying to keep my privacy as private as possible. I can see the draw in social media interaction, but everything is a trade off.. fun and social interaction is traded for privacy and security. I dont want 100,000 people knowing I'm taking my grandkids to Disney for a week. That's just seems so insane to me. My parents didn't get it and can remember my father saying a cell phone was just a fad. A microwave oven will give you cancer. The first real evidence of an age gap was the home computer. there are still people at my gun club that do not have a computer. I was always a techno geek, writing interactive code for my kids home computers when they were 8 years old, they are in their 40's now.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 02-23-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:42 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

OP: Moving for sure, best to you.

Last edited by hope2; 02-23-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Evil-Twin (02-23-2019)

Quick Reply: I'm so old I just can't remember