Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:28 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Ive been young and Ive been old, young is better. Ive been rich and i've been poor, rich is better. Ive been healthy and Ive been very sick. healthy is better. everything is a trade off. when you are old you have a lifetime of memories, when you are young you have a lifetime ahead of you to creating memories. Once you are told you have months / years to live, life takes on a whole new meaning. Looking back on the things we take for granted suddenly becomes significant. Being old is not a total curse, but I 'd rather be diving head first and the first base bag then round third and heading for home.
My life has been filled with so many blessings, if I went tomorrow I would not feel cheated. IM trying to figure out how to end this post on a high note,,, Oh yah we are flying up to New England to spoil our grandkids. That's always a fun mission. Summer is coming. My car is looking good, All is right in my world. 51 years of wedded bliss. oh yes, and the Corvette forum.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 PM
jpm995
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by sneezer
Ok, Enough of the we’re too old to keep up! Yes, we are not as quick as we once were but we have experience on our side. The worst situation we see is an inexperienced driver with too much power and capability in their vehicle. I’ve been following this thread and really appreciate the posts. These young kids have tremendous capability but my catchphrase is that “they don’t know what they don’t know” simply put there is no substitute for experience. Be it fear or respect, our age group has the ability to recognize when we are over our head. Don’t let that stop you from pushing your personal limits. The less we try the faster we decline. When’s the last time we did jumping jacks? Jarring those old bones still generates strength and bone growth. Drive fast (safely) still heightens and generates awareness etc. See where I’m going with this. Smart, conservative, old does not have to mean slow or justify not appreciating the capabilities of modern technology. I have met some excellent people at various track days and events. So for all of us at the other end of the yardstick, keep pushing yourself and use the time we have to satisfy that desire that never goes away. Whether it’s spending a day at the track or just barking the tires on Woodward, the enjoyment we have earned should not be neglected. I just love smoking a street racer with my stock looking S/C M3. The look on their face is worth a ticket all day long. Or informally recording track times and realizing a half a second improvement still gets your rocks off! I’m celebrating getting old. Just getting old is something to be happy with.

My point is not so much i'm ageing [although i am] but that 'sport cars' have progressed so much even Formula 1 drivers can't utilize their capabilites on the street. Maybe it's me but having all that overkill that i cant use dosent seem as important anymore. I stll like it but can't justify it now.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:52 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by jpm995
My point is not so much I'm ageing [although I am] but that 'sport cars' have progressed so much even Formula 1 drivers can't utilize their capabilites on the street. Maybe it's me, but having all that overkill that I can't use dosent seem as important anymore. I stll like it but can't justify it now.
I fully understand, as well as I agree. What I was getting at, in an earlier post in this discussion, is that a "screw up" 40 years ago, was at 35 MPH, and the unintended consequences were usually minor. Today, the stakes are MUCH higher, as that formerly 35 MPH crash is now a 65-70 MPH crash. Also, 40 years ago, that 70 in a 55 was a $20 ticket, and either no points on your license, or maybe 1 or 2. Today, you're looking at a $100 ticket, PLUS a $100 "BS" court surcharge, PLUS 3-4 points, PLUS a $100/yr. bump in your insurance, for the next 3 years. Times have changed!!
Old 03-23-2019, 09:27 PM
1983JZR3W
Melting Slicks

Received 463 Likes on 150 Posts

I am old (72) and have been around cars since I was pretty young. My earliest memory is my dad letting me sit in a new 1949 MGTC in a local Chicago British car dealership. I was three at the time. I have always loved fast cars that were modified for more horsepower and improved handling and braking.

I agree, no one needs 750 horsepower on the street, but who among us would turn it down? I equate having a lot of power and not using it as to having a 12" ***** and never getting an erection......it's just nice to know you have it.
The following users liked this post:
vettefordays (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 03:54 AM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Yes! The by-gone years. Paying for your engines and work for your go fast car by betting in the Honky Tonks and Bars then get out there a go for it. Not no more can you even think of doing that. Good thing I got past that and even survived my many years traveling about the country on Sport touring and Adv bikes. Now, just a back road cruise and no traffic is just peachy. Never had a thought that 75 yrs old was reachable. Sigh!
Old 03-25-2019, 12:45 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
What I was getting at, in an earlier post in this discussion, is that a "screw up" 40 years ago, was at 35 MPH, and the unintended consequences were usually minor. Today, the stakes are MUCH higher, as that formerly 35 MPH crash is now a 65-70 MPH crash.
I'm confused by this statement. Speeds in cities have actually gone down due to increased congestion, and even with the old blanket 55 limit, most traffic on the highways was going a lot faster. What has changed radically are our cars., which are much, much safer. That 35 mph accident back in the pre-seat belts and airbags era could well be fatal, whereas today people walk away from severe accidents at much higher speeds.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:04 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
I'm confused by this statement. Speeds in cities have actually gone down due to increased congestion, and even with the old blanket 55 limit, most traffic on the highways was going a lot faster. What has changed radically are our cars., which are much, much safer. That 35 mph accident back in the pre-seat belts and airbags era could well be fatal, whereas today people walk away from severe accidents at much higher speeds.
I believe he means higher horsepower is more accessible and cheaper than ever. Every 18 year old kid around here gets a 430+hp Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Challenger SRT etc etc here for going to college. Couple boltons and they're at 500 crank pretty easily
Old 03-25-2019, 02:49 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefordays
I believe he means higher horsepower is more accessible and cheaper than ever. Every 18 year old kid around here gets a 430+hp Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Challenger SRT etc etc here for going to college. Couple boltons and they're at 500 crank pretty easily
Is that that different from the past when kids could afford a 409 Chevy, or a GTO or a hopped up pony car off the local used car lot?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:08 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

What I'm getting at, is back in the late 60s, when I started driving, cars weren't as sophisticated, in the suspension and tire department, as they are today. The two "interesting, twisty, roads" that I initially referred to, haven't changed over the last 50 years, other than a couple of re-paves over that time span. They're still narrow, curvy, and bordered by various "drop-offs" on either or both sides of the road, ranging from 8 feet to over 100 feet.

Back in 1968, when I first got my drivers license, I used to pry away the family car, a 1967 Camaro, for a couple hours, and would zip down these roads, D70x14 red line Wide Ovals squealing, at 35-40 MPH. Yes, if I lost it, I would certainly have damaged the car, but hopefully not all that seriously. Today, those roads are still 35 MPH speed limit roads, but my C-5 can easily tackle those roads at 60-70 MPH, essentially twice as fast. If I lose it at that rate of speed, I'm looking at going for a wild ride, and easily totaling the car.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:28 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Is that that different from the past when kids could afford a 409 Chevy, or a GTO or a hopped up pony car off the local used car lot?
Yeah. It is.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:40 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Back in the 60's, Cars were Boat anchors. Impalas, Cadillacs, Pontiacs , Mercuries, were all 2 tons + with pour suspension and a high center of gravity with a lot of body roll. in 63 a Corvair was a tiny car consider a compact car by the standards of that day. Today when I see a Corvair, its a big grossly over weight car, compared to todays cars. Next time you go to a car show take note of the actual size of those 40's, 50''s and 60's cars. My 502 Cubic inch Eldorado was 5400 lbs 19 feet long. 6 1/2 feet wide

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 03-25-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:17 PM
dhorner77
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

Back in 1968, when I first got my drivers license, I used to pry away the family car, a 1967 Camaro, for a couple hours, and would zip down these roads, D70x14 red line Wide Ovals squealing, at 35-40 MPH. Yes, if I lost it, I would certainly have damaged the car, but hopefully not all that seriously. Today, those roads are still 35 MPH speed limit roads, but my C-5 can easily tackle those roads at 60-70 MPH, essentially twice as fast. If I lose it at that rate of speed, I'm looking at going for a wild ride, and easily totaling the car.
I think you would have likely gotten very hurt, as back then the car didn't get hurt too much. Your body took all the punishment. The cars today can handle much more power safer (not safely because there is always inherent danger) and keep you protected. They are designed with airbags and crumple zones to help you walk away from wrecks that would have killed the drivers in the past.

For your consideration.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:03 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Bill, first off Thank you for your Service
Believe that you still have a lot of good days ahead and may God continue to bless you
The following users liked this post:
Evil-Twin (03-26-2019)

Quick Reply: I'm so old I just can't remember