Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the pita/difficult part working on a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:19 AM
turbobuick33
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default What's the pita/difficult part working on a C5?

Im looking to buy a C5 and wondering what's the pita/difficult part when working on the C5?

Last edited by turbobuick33; 03-06-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:22 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,152 Likes on 5,984 Posts

C5s are mostly very easy to work on. The body panels and interior is all nuts/bolts/torx screws vs. the C7 which is snapped together trim clips and plastic that wears out a little every time you take it apart. If I had to pick something that was an "issue" it would be how involved a clutch job is given the driveline layout. You have to pull the entire rear assembly (torque tube, trans, rear, rear suspension) which makes the job fairly expensive labor wise. I've DIY'd a few and they're not fun.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (03-09-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 11:39 AM
arthursc2
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Pulling motor/drivetain. Installing long tubes is kinda rough. Rear exhaust if you don't want to cut it is worth a couple curse words

Otherwise, its like working on a lower GMT800 Tahoe (of which I also own). Surprisingly large interior and engine bay.

The interior construction of the C5 is actually one of the better ones IMO because it really does pretty much all bolt together.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:40 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Catback is simple if you get it up high enough... easiest with a lift. Drop swaybar, remove catback, never cut.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 AM
arthursc2
Pro

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Catback is simple if you get it up high enough... easiest with a lift. Drop swaybar, remove catback, never cut.
I meant over the diff. Maybe its because I was trying it with just a jack, but I was red in the face trying to get my OE Z06 mufflers off the car. Seemed like an extension cord or ratchet strap: just snagged on everything
Old 03-06-2019, 11:43 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Yes you need to use a bunch of wood if using a jack only. Please tell me you didn't cut up OEM Titanium mufflers!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 AM
arthursc2
Pro

I didn't, I'm smarter than that! I got them out, and didn't ding the tips. I plan to clean and polish them, and reinstall them
RapidC84B (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 11:58 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

As stated, clutch is a major pita. Like most GM stuff, most years have the fuel filters in the tank - only the early cars have a conventional inline filter. The problem area you are most likely to hit is electrical/electronics, though drooping outside mirrors are a common "mechanical" problem. And unless the Rev C of the steering column lock fix has been done, or an aftermarket workaround installed, the steering wheel failing to unlock is a pretty common issue. And that is at heart a mechanical issue.

Biggest thing to watch is parts availability. The brake/handling control modules (EBCM) on early cars are no longer available - except at very high prices from wreckers, so best to get a late model if you can. But, even the newest C5 is 15 years old now, so parts availability will become an across the board issue over time.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:18 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

The biggest problem with the C5 is it's actually worth working on. Where other cars wouldn't be worth a major repair, the C5 is. So, you get inspired to do bigger projects than you will on a Camry XLE.

On my last C5, I did a convertible top replacement, evaporator replacement, engine/trans/rear/TT/suspension replacement, and I'd place the evaporator at the top of the list for least desirable jobs. Suspension might have been more time and work, but somehow it seemed easier.

All in all, they're about the second nicest car for working on, second only to full on race cars where most of the ancillary crap is already missing.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:18 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

C5 rear spark plug...it's a ****
arthursc2 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 12:33 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

A simple task like changing the flasher on most cars takes a minute or two. On a C5 plan on an hour or two.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Brake caliper bracket bolts. They're a nightmare.

Last edited by Verrückt ZR1; 03-06-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1

They are installed to stay there.
The bolts are one time use only (according to the book) and have loc tight on them.
I use a breaker bar and use the weight of the body to help snap them loose. Jack up the car install socket and breaker bar then lower car until the bolt breaks free.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:06 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Overall, I think its not too difficult to work on..Been kinda easy for many things......But replacing the harmonic balancer is a bit of a pain due to the steering rack removal and the alt bracket is a a pain if your ABS unit is up front, but even those are still not difficult just a pain........Now if are talking very basic maintenance items like an oil change, well it could suck if you lowered you car even more then stock height. I use to hate doing oil changes but a 4 post lift makes it fun .......
Old 03-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Honestly, the only pitfall I've really found is doing a Clutch or Trans Job on the C5. You have to pull the entire driveline. Other than that, it's a fairly easy car to work on.

Accessing the front of the motor is a gotcha also. There is ZERO clearance from the front of the crank pulley. You have to remove the steering rack in order to remove the pulley, and the steering rack removal is a bit of a PITA.

GOOD headers generally install fairly easily. Plug access is nice, valve covers are wide open. Rear of the intake manifold can be tricky but once you get the technique, it's easy as pie also.

Last edited by Fastbird; 03-06-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

The hardest part of working on a C5 would be being old. other then that, one of the easiest cars for anyone with good hands and a logical mind and mechanical aptitude.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:52 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1
Had zero issue doing mine. Two foot breaker bar and they come off just like that. The whole "one time use, red loctite" thing is bullcrap; torque them to their specified 135 lb-ft or whatever it is and those bolts are _not_ moving anywhere. Really, the harder part was torquing them down to spec - on jack stands, it's sometimes hard to fit the torque wrench places it needs to go. Extensions and/or u-joints and/or having both deep and shallow sockets can make the job a lot easier for clearance and orientation, plus remember that you can push down in some cases and push up in other cases (like a bench press). If you're pushing up, whether to break loose or tighten, you can even use a jack to do it for you.

But honestly now I just have an impact wrench. DeWalt. About a $300 kit to get you started, if you go by ebay prices, and 700 lb-ft of nut-busting torque at the high end will make those bolts come out in a hurry. Any other major brand will do, just remember, if you're going battery - which I highly recommend - make sure you standardize on the newest, best battery system available. The modern stuff is excellent. The less modern stuff is okay. The less modern stuff than that seems to me to be bloody near useless. If you do get one, just make sure you have it set to the right direction -- ask me how bad I screwed up one time!!

Last edited by gimp; 03-06-2019 at 04:52 PM. Reason: language

Get notified of new replies

To What's the pita/difficult part working on a C5?

Old 03-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Clutch seems to always be the most involved job. Typically most anything involving the drive line can be a superbly huge hassle. Remember the C5 is a rear transaxle design, so if you need to do any transmission or diff work you have to drop the whole rear sub frame, but at the same time you'd have to content with the torque tube, exhaust, etc. It can be painful without a good lift.

While not difficult per say the job most people have to deal with is harmonic balancers. They're pressed in from the factory and tend to see noticeable slippage even in cars that have sub 50K miles. Most people can do the job fairly easy but if you've never done it before you can cause some major headaches (such as not securing the steering wheel, removing the steering rack, and then inadvertently moving the steered portion of the rack itself which would cause the SWPS to have issues).
Old 03-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

Haven't done anything major myself on my 03 vert.
Changing the A/C belt was a royal pita. I got it done though.
Radiator hoses and coolant change would have been easy if the radiator had a decent petcock instead of a stupid designed one that I broke right off. They were available at the auto parts store though.
The other fluids and filters were not bad.
I put a passenger window regulator in and it wasn't hard.
I had the SWPS changed by my local mechanic and he said it was tough. The same mechanic swapped out the harmonic balancer but he's done that often.
I would have done those if I was 20 years younger and not so fat.
All in all the C5 with the automatic is not that hard to maintain.
Good luck!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:40 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
A simple task like changing the flasher on most cars takes a minute or two. On a C5 plan on an hour or two.
not if you.... use a more reliable than OEM aftermarket harness which also allows for LED switchbacks to be installed for superior lighting than OEM, and longer life.

but hey, some people would consider that a mod.

Quick Reply: What's the pita/difficult part working on a C5?