Sponsored by:

Inadvertent Garage Queen

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Not necessarily true. I had a 200 mile / day commute for way too many years. What made the commute bearable was the fact I could enjoy the reliability and performance that was engineered into the Corvette. Certainly WAY more fun to drive than my Silverado.

I really don't care if someone drives the crap out of their car or pulls it out once a week to wax it. Who am I to tell them what to do with it. I do however encourage those who want to drive their Vette more to do so.

I've come across so many owners and non owners who don't think a C5 can go the distance. They think after 60k - 80k the car is toast when in fact it is just getting started. While the car is iconic it is not exotic. It is actually very affordable to operate and maintain.
Too each their own...That is the great part. We all have our reasons for what we have and how we use it.

I agree the Corvette, if you decide to drive it will be a reliable cost efficient vehicle. Lets face it, it is a Chevrolet with a V8 drive-train, tried, true and dependable. Besides that, most get better mileage than our SUV's!

You also need to remember, many of us live in a seasonal driving area. Some will disagree, but driving the Corvette in the snow, will NEVER be an option for me. It isn't the car cant do it, I just wont. For those that store their cars the least favorite day of the year is putting them away, the best is spring release! I used to store about 30 cars over the winter for people and each spring (usually first nice weekend weather projected after a good rain) the phone rang off the hook for people getting their cars back out. This always turned into a big cookout and everyone had a great time...

Honestly, that is probably why I feel making the day something more than it is, always made me enjoy the experience even more...
Old 03-09-2019, 01:32 PM
bruceg2016
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Its also a matter of circumstance, if it was just me and my wife I might drive my corvette more frequently, but thats not the case , I have kids and my daily driver is only choice. As I have stated in previous threads, I enjoy driving my Corvette on nice sunny warm days. We bought our 1998 3 years ago with 19,042, it now has 22,992. "Too each their own" is the best comment in this whole thread. When we do take our corvette out we have great time and I have never spent one second wishing I could drive it more, I'm blessed with a full life, no regrets!

Last edited by bruceg2016; 03-09-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:00 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

There's a simple solution for this. Make it your only car.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:30 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by ~Josh
1st world problems.

”I don’t have enough time to drive my Corvette, and garage too small to fit all my cars”.

We’re Blessed to live in America.
Originally Posted by leadfoot4

It's a shame that a certain segment of the population wants to "fundamentally change" our country.....

Good thread topic OP

I think a lot of people(myself included) go with the mindset of purchasing a car like a Vette to enjoy the driving experience of what the car offers on a regular basis, there's that exclusive thrill you get knowing your not driving something run-of-the-mill. It's addictive. I used to race years ago tracking it occasionally. Also, had the luxury of being around home more often to enjoy driving my Vette on a daily basis, if I chose to, which I did do when I could. Those days are long over....I travel constantly , 6-8 weeks on the road, and when I'm home depending on the season it dictates whether or not I can take the car out to drive. I will say this, I've owned it for 15 years, and put almost 60K on it but, the past 8 years, it's lucky if it sees 500 miles in a year. I didn't "intend" it to be a garage queen but, that's what's become of it. Too many cars, and not enough time to drive the "special ones". Honestly, I'm not complaining, those are nice problems to have. Just my .02
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 02:45 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 327 Posts

[QUOTE=Bajaholic;1599016353]
You also need to remember, many of us live in a seasonal driving area. Some will disagree, but driving the Corvette in the snow, will NEVER be an option for me. It isn't the car cant do it, I just wont. For those that store their cars the least favorite day of the year is putting them away, the best is spring release! /QUOTE]

I'm fully aware as I live in Michigan. My car hibernates several months per year and I suffer from withdrawl. I don't drive it in the snow, when salts are still on the road, or when an extreme rain storm is expected. That is what the truck is for.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:53 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by C5R USA

Good thread topic OP

I think a lot of people(myself included) go with the mindset of purchasing a car like a Vette to enjoy the driving experience of what the car offers on a regular basis, there's that exclusive thrill you get knowing your not driving something run-of-the-mill. It's addictive. I used to race years ago tracking it occasionally. Also, had the luxury of being around home more often to enjoy driving my Vette on a daily basis, if I chose to, which I did do when I could. Those days are long over....I travel constantly , 6-8 weeks on the road, and when I'm home depending on the season it dictates whether or not I can take the car out to drive. I will say this, I've owned it for 15 years, and put almost 60K on it but, the past 8 years, it's lucky if it sees 500 miles in a year. I didn't "intend" it to be a garage queen but, that's what's become of it. Too many cars, and not enough time to drive the "special ones". Honestly, I'm not complaining, those are nice problems to have. Just my .02
I think that's a big part of the reason many of these cars are purchased by retired people, they have the time to drive them. I'm buying one as a retirement gift to myself next year, as I will then have all the time I want to drive it...
Old 03-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

1st world problems.

”I don’t have enough time to drive my Corvette, and garage too small to fit all my cars”.

WOW...
Old 03-09-2019, 04:16 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm the same, in an entirely different way. I drive my Z spring summer and fall daily. Problems:
-Winter is too darn long (stored it in October this time, and we're having a long winter, still snow everywhere). That's just about half the year sitting in the garage.
-When winter is finally over, it gets driven round trip to work and back, and that's it. We are too busy to just go for a drive, ever.
So in a round about way... I get it.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:52 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by grampi50
I think that's a big part of the reason many of these cars are purchased by retired people, they have the time to drive them. I'm buying one as a retirement gift to myself next year, as I will then have all the time I want to drive it...
I can certainly see that being prevalent among older buyers. Just for example, the last time I was at a Corvette show, I would consider myself on the lower end of the spectrum in the age category, and I was 50 at the time. It's all about what's important to the individual and their needs at the time when they decide to buy a Vette or not. I think it's fantastic you are going to treat yourself to a retirement gift, you've obviously paid your dues to society by being a productive member. I'd say your more than due to pamper yourself with a gift like that. Any thoughts on what year Vette you've got your heart set on?
Old 03-10-2019, 08:34 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Just venting here....bought my '04 Vert in Feb of 2016 with 28788 miles on it. Now after 3 full years of ownership, it has 35218 miles on it. 2018 was the least miles; sat in neighbor's garage from end of May to mid Sept, drove it once during this period.
Since moving it back to my garage in mid Sept I think I have had it out once. It is now sitting in the garage of the house I am selling as the house I moved into has a much smaller garage and not able to get all the vehicles within.
Been so busy last year between work and remodeling the house I moved into...and then there was the actual "move".....still have not found a place for everything. Then there is the yard/patio that needs ALOT of work.

Sooo.....are there others that spent a lot of time searching for their Corvette with no thoughts of it becoming a "garage queen" but it has become one?

Thanks for reading and any replies......venting over with......
Short answer, yes. Having a few toys ('merica) our Corvettes don't get driven as much as I'd like. They each see about 1,000 miles a year.

It's partly weather related this time of year -rain, rain rain - but I'm not worried about getting her wet (I actually wash her with wet water), no I'm worried about that idiot driver sliding into me.

Probably the most limiting factor to not driving them is I won't park it where I can't see it. Totally on me and wish I was wired differently but I'm always worried about them sitting in a parking lot instead of enjoying the dinner or movie. So we drive the Jeep and the cars stay home unless we're going to a friends house or hitting something like Sonic or an ice cream place.

Then there's time with the other toys we'll fire up in the next 30 days - jet skies and pontoon boat...we bought a place on the lake and accompanying toys to use them 'merica!

One thing I've decided, I'm not selling the Corvettes. That'll be my daughters problem when I'm gone. They each get one. I take good care of them and they are there when I want to drive them! I plan to be "that old dude"!

Can't tell you how many people have told me they wished they'd hung on to a car they once sold.

Bottom line, enjoy your car your way!

Last edited by 2TONE82; 03-10-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

had vettes on and off since getting a used 1962 in 1964 six in total . bought a 2000 coupe with around 34,000 miles in 2006 and it currently is approaching 40,000 including 700 miles getting it home in one day . wifes legs became to bad to drive stick shift so sold her 1966 coupe and bought a used 2004 [?] vert which we have put , i'm guessing , about 2000 miles on in 5 or 6 years . i hate driving and she doesn't like to park in shops parking lots . bought her daily driver 6 or 7 years ago and it will have 40,000 miles on it in a few months . gas isn't a major expenditure here . . . peace
Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

1st world problems.

Yes we are blessed living in the good ol' USA. Sorry ... you don't get it.
Long term vette ownership means **** happens. Our lives change by sickness, wealth and circumstance. Your car get's laid up in a body shop for 6 months, Or you have a track accident and your laid up
for 6 months.,The car of your dreams becomes one of your dreams.It's still important just not as important as when you bought it.
As I get older mine starts looking like a garage queen...but it is not.
Good luck.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
Yes we are blessed living in the good ol' USA. Sorry ... you don't get it.
Long term vette ownership means **** happens. Our lives change by sickness, wealth and circumstance. Your car get's laid up in a body shop for 6 months, Or you have a track accident and your laid up
for 6 months.,The car of your dreams becomes one of your dreams.It's still important just not as important as when you bought it.
As I get older mine starts looking like a garage queen...but it is not.
Good luck.
pretty sure he’s been on the forum with a corvette for over a decade now...

i dont drive mine as much as I used to, but that’s just because I live 10 minutes from work now and I hate starting it up and cutting it back off before it’s actually been driven Warmed up, so I take my truck to work most days. ANY longer drive, I take the corvette instead. I’ve only put about 5000 miles per year on it for the past 2 years, whereas previously I put 10000 easily on it.

Its practical, comfortable, reliable, and fun. It was my only car for 4+ years, so it’s easily doable to drive it every day. It’s easy to drive it more, just grab the corvette keys any time you’re going somewhere alone or with only one person.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:24 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 817 Likes on 589 Posts

....are there others that spent a lot of time searching for their Corvette with no thoughts of it becoming a "garage queen" but it has become one.

Sorry Charlie... No way in hell would I put my house before some quality seat time with the C5 every couple of days!... Man what a gruesome thought.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:58 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Wow!.....such a spectrum of responses....
Yes it is just wonderful to have such a problem, not complaining about that at all.
I should add though that yes the car is paid for, just insurance, license fees to pay, but due to my move I know have a $100 a month storage cost, is 3.5 miles away and no electricity for a trickle charger, I had to remove the battery. So now to drive it requires grabbing the battery, driving over to the storage place, install the battery. The storage place closes at 8pm, so I must return in time or be without the vehicle I drove over there until the next day.

Not complaining, just telling the whole story.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:19 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
pretty sure he’s been on the forum with a corvette for over a decade now...

i dont drive mine as much as I used to, but that’s just because I live 10 minutes from work now and I hate starting it up and cutting it back off before it’s actually been driven Warmed up, so I take my truck to work most days. ANY longer drive, I take the corvette instead. I’ve only put about 5000 miles per year on it for the past 2 years, whereas previously I put 10000 easily on it.

Its practical, comfortable, reliable, and fun. It was my only car for 4+ years, so it’s easily doable to drive it every day. It’s easy to drive it more, just grab the corvette keys any time you’re going somewhere alone or with only one person.
I read his post and cudo's for 10 years on the forum. I stand by my comments.
Good luck
Old 03-11-2019, 08:29 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by C5R USA
I can certainly see that being prevalent among older buyers. Just for example, the last time I was at a Corvette show, I would consider myself on the lower end of the spectrum in the age category, and I was 50 at the time. It's all about what's important to the individual and their needs at the time when they decide to buy a Vette or not. I think it's fantastic you are going to treat yourself to a retirement gift, you've obviously paid your dues to society by being a productive member. I'd say your more than due to pamper yourself with a gift like that. Any thoughts on what year Vette you've got your heart set on?
I've got everything picked out...'01-'04 coupe, M6, torch red. I would prefer a torch red interior as well, but any interior color is acceptable...I just need to find the one that's calling my name...

Last edited by grampi50; 03-11-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

The next time I hear myself complain, I'm going "bitch slap" myself.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Find a race (road) track near you and get it out - these are very capable cars...

Quick Reply: Inadvertent Garage Queen