Sponsored by:

Gentex rearview mirror retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 09:20 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Gentex rearview mirror retrofit

With all of the posts I could find on the topic, there still seems to be some misinformation, or a lack of information, out there for retrofitting a Gentex mirror in place of the standard, flip-up mirror so I figured I'd post some info anybody doing research in the future 👍 I bought a Gentex 453 (newer models with sealed light sensors and beefier mount. This specific model has auto dimming/ Homelink/ hidden compass, no map lights) from eBay for about $60 and just easily swapped it in without much fuss. Stock harness has 4 wires (2 orange, 1 brown, 1 black). Gentex also has 4 wires, but 2 were labeled 12v+, 1 was ground, and 1 was optional reverse 12v+. I originally wired it with the 2 stock orange wires connected to the 2- 12v+ Gentex wires, stock black to Gentex black (ground), and left the other two wires (stock brown and optional gentex/) disconnected entirely. I tested the mirror and it came on/turned off with the footwell lights. Perfect, I thought. Buttoned it up, took it for a drive, closed the garage door just fine, but then quickly realized the auto dimming and compass weren't on aka there was no power to the mirror. Yet when I got back home, the Homelink button still opened the garage just fine. So it's apparent the Homelink was connected to constant 12v, but the compass and auto dimming were on a separate circuit and it just happened to be the one that turned on...and OFF...with the footwell lights. All research told me that the brown wire (which I had left disconnected) was only hot with the headlights on. Until I found one guy among tons of others that had a conflicting statement: brown was hot with acc, not headlights. I switched the auto dimming/ compass wire over to the stock brown wire and bingo: a correctly functioning mirror. The mirror now gets full power with the key turned on and has Homelink with or without a key in the ignition. With all of the research I did, none of this was clearly spelled out, nor was a relevant Gentex model number, so I figured I'd share. This is on a 2001 with a standard mirror 👍👍
The following users liked this post:
bigsapper (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:10 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,246 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Good job on the new mirror. I put one in w/map lights many years ago myself
Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Apostle
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info 👍🏼👍🏼
Old 03-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Great info. There are so many available, does it matter what car make it's from? Is there anything that I should be looking for?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:35 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,246 Likes on 1,668 Posts

^if you want to still have map lights that is one thing to certainly look out for
Old 03-11-2019, 02:09 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Thanks for all that info. If I get one I'll keep this thread so I can figure it out.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:12 AM
TheBac
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Good info to have. I recently bought a Gentex 341 to install in my '00 coupe this spring.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Where did you purchase it from and the cost? Also, if it's used, does it have to be from a GM vehicle or does it not matter?
Old 03-11-2019, 11:48 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Good job on the new mirror. I put one in w/map lights many years ago myself
Thank you sir! I came across your install post in many searches, got a lot of good info from it!

Originally Posted by Apostle
Thanks for the info ��������
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by Mr31FlavorsVette
Great info. There are so many available, does it matter what car make it's from? Is there anything that I should be looking for?
Doesn't matter what car it came from, just mount type (you'll want to make sure the windshield mount is the same wedge-type with the torx set screw) and the features you want. I didn't care about temperature, so that made wiring easier. I didn't want to lose map lights, but those are harder to find, more expensive, and probably more wiring. I mostly wanted Homelink, the autodimming feature is useful, and the compass was just because haha. The seller I bought it from labeled the wires for me, so that helped when it arrived. The OEM courtesy map light power wire is still open now, so I can always wire it to some courtesy lights later. Even a simple tiny LED strip along the bottom of the mirror or something

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Thanks for all that info. If I get one I'll keep this thread so I can figure it out.
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by TheBac
Good info to have. I recently bought a Gentex 341 to install in my '00 coupe this spring.
Awesome, good luck!

Where did you purchase it from and the cost? Also, if it's used, does it have to be from a GM vehicle or does it not matter?
I chose the 453 because it's the "newer model" with sealed light sensor and beefier mounting post. It was about $60 from eBay. The 313 is the older model/style and can be had for about half the price on eBay. There's a ton of them listed from different sellers. I opted to buy from a seller that seemed reputable and labeled the wires for me. There are a range of sellers, from one-off used parts sellers, to sellers who only sell mirrors and the likes. You can tell who is who once you start looking haha. As far as GM only, nope. See response above. Just need correct mounting style and to choose your features; the less features it has, more simple the install is.

Just to be clear for all interested, you will have to splice your factory wires into the harness wires that comes with the mirror (hint hint, make sure your new mirror includes the piggyback/harness). I've never had a problem doing that, but I know some people aren't comfortable with wiring or don't want to touch their factory harness/wiring. I believe there used to be vendors that would sell you a plug-n-play harness, but I don't know if any of those are around anymore. I don't plan on removing it from my car again, but I left enough wire on the stock piggyback to wire it back on if necessary. Simple matter of stripping a few wires, using crimp connectors (or solder if you're fancy), and wrapping them back up with electrical tape.

Last edited by heggsc5; 03-11-2019 at 11:54 PM.
JimHarris4 (10-15-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 01:41 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

heggsc5 thanks for your response. I respect anyone like yourself that courageously takes projects on with little direction and is able to make them work.

I too, really only want the homelink, don't care about a compass or temps, but I do like the extra lumens the map lights give off. I have the auto dimming mirror in my Challenger, but it doesn't seem to dim the mirror fast enough for my sensitive eyes.... Seems like most of the mirrors for sale have those other features. I like your idea about adding a strip of LED lights on one without map lights, however, not sure I would know what's involved with doing that.

You mentioned a pig tail connection, I see many of the mirrors have what appears to be some sort of wiring connection or pig tail attached to them. Is that what your are referring to?

I get what your saying about the vendors selling these, they definitely run the gamut. Since you were happy with the one you purchased, would you share the site where you purchased it?
Old 03-12-2019, 03:15 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

heggsc5 thanks for your response. I respect anyone like yourself that courageously takes projects on with little direction and is able to make them work.

I too, really only want the homelink, don't care about a compass or temps, but I do like the extra lumens the map lights give off. I have the auto dimming mirror in my Challenger, but it doesn't seem to dim the mirror fast enough for my sensitive eyes.... Seems like most of the mirrors for sale have those other features. I like your idea about adding a strip of LED lights on one without map lights, however, not sure I would know what's involved with doing that.

You mentioned a pig tail connection, I see many of the mirrors have what appears to be some sort of wiring connection or pig tail attached to them. Is that what your are referring to?

I get what your saying about the vendors selling these, they definitely run the gamut. Since you were happy with the one you purchased, would you share the site where you purchased it?
Don't give me too much credit now, I did a ton of research before pulling the trigger haha. There are a lot of old threads about the topic, but that also appears to be back when people were paying $200-300 for the mirrors Unfortunately, I couldn't find the exact info I needed through all of the posts, which is why I decided to post more info for anyone finding themselves in the same predicament in the future haha

The wire I have still available is JUST for courtesy lights. So the lights I would install with that wire would only come on, and subsequently turn off, with the approach lights and footwell lights. It wouldn't work if I wanted to turn them on manually while I was already in the car. If I need a light while I'm in the car, I can easily use my cell phone light (which is far more usable than fixed map lights anyway lol)

Yup, that's exactly what I'm referring to. At the end of those wires is a harness/plug that plugs into the port on the mirror. Without that plug, and enough wires to splice on it, you won't be able to wire the mirror.

Sure thing, the seller I got mine from was "mirrors_n_more"

Last edited by heggsc5; 03-12-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:18 PM
Magnetic Red
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Which Gentex would you recommend which includes auto dimming, back up camera option and map lights? Dont need homelink. The Gentex home page refers to Voxx and Mito as an authorized seller but none of the current Gentex units show map lights in their description. Thanks
Old 03-25-2019, 12:29 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Magnetic Red
Which Gentex would you recommend which includes auto dimming, back up camera option and map lights? Dont need homelink. The Gentex home page refers to Voxx and Mito as an authorized seller but none of the current Gentex units show map lights in their description. Thanks
Sorry, I have absolutely no clue. As long as you get one with the wedge style mount, you can choose any options you want, you'll just have to figure out the wiring. Shouldn't be difficult, just more time consuming.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:15 PM
Magnetic Red
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks heggsc5, perhaps another member can make a recommendation for an auto dim mirror with back-up camera and map lights. I hope that you don't mind my putting this question on your thread. thanks again.
heggsc5 (03-26-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Harleyyac
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How did you unplug OEM ? I have 2003 and can't seem to get the plug out.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:20 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Harleyyac
How did you unplug OEM ? I have 2003 and can't seem to get the plug out.
I believe the later MY plugs were different and more difficult. Mine just unplugged easily. I recall seeing many threads about the difficulty some had with the later OEM plug, I don't believe it's difficult once you understand how it works. Worth a quick Google search

Get notified of new replies

To Gentex rearview mirror retrofit

Quick Reply: Gentex rearview mirror retrofit