Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage - Spring Revival

 
Old 03-13-2019, 09:52 AM
  #1  
jamesbii
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Winter Storage - Spring Revival

Is there anything you do to your vette after the long winter storage? My vette has been sitting since Mid-November. Prior to storing, I got a fresh oil change (Chevy Dealer), over inflated tires, dryer sheets, etc...etc.. Other then un-doing all the thing I did in the winter is there anything you do in the Spring? Another fresh oil change?
jamesbii is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:17 AM
  #2  
3sACROWD
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Midland MI
Posts: 1,582
Thanked 173 Times in 158 Posts
Default

I generally just fire it up and let it idle in the driveway while I do a once over on the car. (Make sure tire pressure is right, tires look good, lights and signals work, fluids, etc). By then, the engine is up to temp and oil circulating well.

I take it out for a nice leisurely drive to check the other systems like brakes, clutch, and steering. I'll drive for at least an hour to dry out the exhaust and any moisture that may have condensed in the engine during storage. I don't do any wide open throttle on the first day out. Just my preference while I reacclimate to the car and make sure the car seems right.
3sACROWD is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:24 AM
  #3  
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member
 
leadfoot4's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 57,847
Thanked 401 Times in 370 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD View Post
I generally just fire it up and let it idle in the driveway while I do a once over on the car. (Make sure tire pressure is right, tires look good, lights and signals work, fluids, etc). By then, the engine is up to temp and oil circulating well.

I take it out for a nice leisurely drive to check the other systems like brakes, clutch, and steering. I'll drive for at least an hour to dry out the exhaust and any moisture that may have condensed in the engine during storage. I don't do any wide open throttle on the first day out. Just my preference while I reacclimate to the car and make sure the car seems right.
Sounds like a solid plan....
leadfoot4 is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:31 PM
  #4  
Vetteman Jack
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Vetteman Jack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Missouri. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Posts: 267,357
Thanked 3,906 Times in 3,418 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Default

If you prepped it right for storage, just check the air in the tires, fire it up and go for a drive.
Vetteman Jack is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:44 PM
  #5  
knewblewkorvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
knewblewkorvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 10,727
Thanked 547 Times in 475 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-Ď18-'19

Default

No need to change the oil again. Put key in, drive, smile, and wave.
knewblewkorvette is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 PM
  #6  
Jim_ZO6
CF Senior Member
 
Jim_ZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 134
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD View Post
I don't do any wide open throttle on the first day out. Just my preference while I reacclimate to the car and make sure the car seems right.
No wide open throttle? I donít know if I could do that. I canít wait to hear that growl again!
Jim_ZO6 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:15 AM
  #7  
jamesbii
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette View Post
No need to change the oil again. Put key in, drive, smile, and wave.
Thanks. that was what I was wondering if I should change the oil again.
jamesbii is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:59 PM
  #8  
grampi50
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,572
Thanked 306 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Dumb question, but what does overinflating the tires, and dryer sheets do?
grampi50 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 PM
  #9  
3sACROWD
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Midland MI
Posts: 1,582
Thanked 173 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grampi50 View Post
Dumb question, but what does overinflating the tires, and dryer sheets do?
Mice don't like the smell of dryer sheets. Overinflating tires to help prevent flat spotting.
3sACROWD is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:31 PM
  #10  
grampi50
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,572
Thanked 306 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD View Post
Mice don't like the smell of dryer sheets. Overinflating tires to help prevent flat spotting.
Where do you put the dryer sheets?
grampi50 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:36 PM
  #11  
Rover01
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Rover01's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: Beverly MA
Posts: 265
Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grampi50 View Post
Where do you put the dryer sheets?
I put one in the trunk and one in the engine bay.
Rover01 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM
  #12  
knewblewkorvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
knewblewkorvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 10,727
Thanked 547 Times in 475 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-Ď18-'19

Default

Originally Posted by grampi50 View Post
Where do you put the dryer sheets?
I put them everywhere, floors, hatch, tops of tires, engine bay, etc. Mice + Corvette = bad news I also set mouse traps throughout the garage and my girlfriend purchased several "electronic pest deterrent's" that I use too but I don't believe in them. I just put them in to please her
knewblewkorvette is online now  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:57 PM
  #13  
pjdbm
CF Senior Member
 
pjdbm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Long Island New York
Posts: 810
Thanked 114 Times in 105 Posts
Default

I have bars of Irish Spring soap all over the place, some people has what that nice smell is
pjdbm is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 PM
  #14  
Jim_ZO6
CF Senior Member
 
Jim_ZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 134
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

We just had a pretty good storm here, and it's the third time it's rained in the last week. I think the salt is off the roads. I called State Farm this morning and put the full insurance back on the car. She's going out at some point this weekend!
Jim_ZO6 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 AM
  #15  
Gordy M
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: Plymouth MI
Posts: 2,069
Thanks: 0
Thanked 148 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grampi50 View Post
Dumb question, but what does overinflating the tires, and dryer sheets do?
If you have 40lbs of air in the tires when it is 60 degrees out You will have about 30lbs if it gets to -10 in the winter. If you start at 28 or 30lbs you will get close to 20 when it is really cold and very low pressures when cold will give the tires a set when it warms up. Normally a tire will lose about a 1lb of pressure every month.and at least 1lb fore every 10deg of temperature drop
Gordy M is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:47 PM
  #16  
MikeyMcFly
CF Senior Member
 
MikeyMcFly's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 320
Thanked 32 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Peppermint oil works well for mice as well. My Mom's lawn tractor attracts mice constantly and once I started spreading peppermint oil I no longer had issues.

I use dryer sheets in my car, although I'm not 100% sure I did this year. I never got around to covering it, so I think I missed a few items in the prep unfortunately.

I'll likely target April 1st to raise my coverage back up so I can drive it on the streets. I set my coverage to the state minimum during the off season in terms of things like property damage at whatnot and then bump them back up when I'm ready to take the car out.

I'll have to dig out my good tires. I store my car on a set of wagon wheels with 2000 date coded tires I got for next to nothing from a member on here. That way I don't have to think about the tires. Of course, I find myself taking a lap or two with the old tires before I switch things over. One day that's going to bite me, but I figure if I go easy, it's a non-issue for a short trip.
MikeyMcFly is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:15 AM
  #17  
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member
 
leadfoot4's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 57,847
Thanked 401 Times in 370 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly View Post
Peppermint oil works well for mice as well. My Mom's lawn tractor attracts mice constantly and once I started spreading peppermint oil I no longer had issues.

I use dryer sheets in my car, although I'm not 100% sure I did this year. I never got around to covering it, so I think I missed a few items in the prep unfortunately.

I'll likely target April 1st to raise my coverage back up so I can drive it on the streets. I set my coverage to the state minimum during the off season in terms of things like property damage at whatnot and then bump them back up when I'm ready to take the car out.

I'll have to dig out my good tires. I store my car on a set of wagon wheels with 2000 date coded tires I got for next to nothing from a member on here. That way I don't have to think about the tires. Of course, I find myself taking a lap or two with the old tires before I switch things over. One day that's going to bite me, but I figure if I go easy, it's a non-issue for a short trip.
I do the same thing, with my insurance, and something similar, with my wheels and tires. I store my car on the OE "thin spokes", and worn out OE tires. I keep the "good" wheels and tires in the basement, during the winter.
leadfoot4 is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:09 AM
  #18  
4theboy
CF Senior Member
 
4theboy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: SW of Chicago Illinois
Posts: 501
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grampi50 View Post
Where do you put the dryer sheets?
I like to lay the sheets anywhere I see wires or a wire harness. I will tuck them up in the dash and engine compartments and put them on top of or form them around exposed wiring just to make sure mice don't get a scent of anything in the wire sheathing that might smell like food.
4theboy is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 AM
  #19  
4theboy
CF Senior Member
 
4theboy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: SW of Chicago Illinois
Posts: 501
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD View Post
Mice don't like the smell of dryer sheets. Overinflating tires to help prevent flat spotting.
Here's another dumb question: On standard tires I have always over inflated during storage without an issue. Would you need to be as concerned with flat spotting on RF tires due to the stiffer sidewalls?
4theboy is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: