Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:41 AM
BlackHellcat
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gimp
This one, right? https://www.c7carbon.com/c5-corvette...on-fiber-p-695

And these are the instructions, right? (warning, pdf download) https://www.c7carbon.com/download.php?pID=695

Maybe the C7 Carbon vendor can weigh in on this post.

What I see is the following:
- No mentions anywhere about downforce
- No mentions anywhere about wind tunnel testing nor modeling
- It drills into and attaches to the front bumper fascia, like, that big ol piece of semi-flexible fiberglass

My impression is that if it gives any downforce, it's mostly going to be by accident. Otherwise, it's entirely for looks.

Compare this to the APR splitter: http://aprperformance.com/racing-pro...ind-splitters/

- Mentions downforce, and mentions where you get downforce (mostly the front, as expected)
- Mentions attaching it to the subframe of the car, with reinforcements / supports

Even still, I see no actual measurements from anyone about actual downforce with this splitter.

Realistically, adding real, noticeable, usable, actionable downforce to a C5 corvette costs a lot of $, between the hardware you see, the hardware to mount it to the chassis, and the labor (as bodywork often has to be slightly modified.)
I said SPOILER. That goes on the REAR of the car...
Old 03-21-2019, 11:42 AM
BlackHellcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
That's all up to the person you are asking. Some will say yes and some will say No... But then why would anyone ( you ) care what someone else thinks.. especially someone willing to spend the money on it.

I'm not bashful, if you are asking me my opinion, I will say this.. Yes in my opinion it is something I would never do. something I would never lie to you and say it looks great.. You will always get an honest answer from me. You my not agree with my opinion, but I'm not asking you to agree with it, you are asking me my opinion and are you willing to accept that as my honest opinion? . I would personally think that other car guys would be laughing at me, because if I see a bif wing on a car that never saw a track and was parked in the Costco parking lot I would laugh.

Now the Small CF spooler, not the race wing ( as you are saying you are getting ) .. is a different matter.. its not in your face like the race wing.

this is the C7 Race wing which looks ridicules on a street car parked in a Cosco or STARBUCKS.
Of course this is my opinion
Drunk post? I said I am getting the C7 carbon race spoiler, not a wing. Man, some of you guys are not paying attention.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:45 AM
arthursc2
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHellcat
I can assure you that a spoiler properly installed with 3M tape, and nothing more, will not fly off at 140. Been there done that.
Correct, your taped-on spoiler should not fly off at 140mph. Because it doesn't really do much for the performance of the car. So it's a moot point whether you take it to the track or not.

Unless of course you have numbers to show that it's doing something useful.

I got nothing against the bling, by the way. It's a great looking spoiler. But you asked for an opinion, right?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:40 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Correct, your taped-on spoiler should not fly off at 140mph. Because it doesn't really do much for the performance of the car. So it's a moot point whether you take it to the track or not.

I got nothing against the bling, by the way. It's a great looking spoiler. But you asked for an opinion, right?
Pretty much. I doubt that that tape can hold 500+ lbs of downforce that a real spoiler would provide.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Kevris
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, about that source for a complete z06 kit including the internal ducts.

Any advice?
Old 03-21-2019, 03:08 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

it probably just reuses the factory inner ducts, worst case scenario you can probably modify the stock ones to work if you really need them
Old 03-21-2019, 03:41 PM
BlackHellcat
Drifting

No, I didn't actually. I was talking to the one poster calling cosmetic mods that could also be performance oriented as rice. SMH
Old 03-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Here is alittle automotive 101. A wing is a spoiler but a spoiler could never be called a wing... much like a Jacuzzi is a hot tub , but not all hot tubs are Jacuzzis A race spoiler ( or wing ) is an "adjustable device" to add just enough down force to keep the tires planted, based on the speed that could be obtained on a specific track and day ( track surface conditions and temperature ). they are adjustable so you can tune the downforce without excessive drag by having too much down force... That is a racing spoiler ( or wing )

Those stick on spoilers found on many cars are not race spoilers they are exactly the same function as you would find from a spoiler found on a Toyota Camry.

The Photo of the Orange C7 has the factory adjustable "carbon race spoiler " a GM Part number. That is a C7 ZR1 in full Factory trim ( Track Package ) including the " CF race spoiler " the two other C7 spoilers, are Not race spoilers, they are just a race inspired design cue, one an option on a C7 and the other an option on the Z06 that stands a little taller, but they are not race spoilers, all they do is add drag to a street car and increase full consumption. I should have known better since many corvette owners call their entry level FRC a ( Factory Race Car ) which could not be any further from the truth... My mention of someone putting a factory race spoiler on a street car was meant for a true race spoiler like that found on a C7 ZR1 in full trim. My point was that putting a real Factory race spoiler on a street car was about as obnoxious a using a five point harness to go through the drive through at McDonalds. You also don't use tape on a true race spoiler.

Just something you might want to chew on.
Lets call a spade a spade.

Bill aka ET This post was not meant to be argumentative.. just some clarification from a professional automotive designer, on the true meaning of carbon fiber race spoiler.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:26 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

E/T
Old 03-21-2019, 04:39 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevris
So, about that source for a complete z06 kit including the internal ducts.

Any advice?
CorvetteCentral used to sell them. They only have the scoops now. Scoops are part # 335016L and 335016R. The ducts were 335138L and 335138R, and they had a complete kit (left and right, scoops and ducts) 335036.

The only parts they list now are the scoops. You might contact them, but I suspect the kit and the ducts are no longer available.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I have seen some members of this forum over my time here,( several years ago ) putting a giant wing ( spoiler ) on their street car. It was met with much disapproval from most members here, but some thought " It Looked cool " he did asked for opinion, Unfortunately he could not handle honest opinion by most who took the time to offer it.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:54 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I can assure you that a spoiler properly installed with 3M tape, and nothing more, will not fly off at 140. Been there done that.

The taped spoiler on my 98 stayed on at 150 mph.
The following users liked this post:
BlackHellcat (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
CorvetteCentral used to sell them. They only have the scoops now. Scoops are part # 335016L and 335016R. The ducts were 335138L and 335138R, and they had a complete kit (left and right, scoops and ducts) 335036.

The only parts they list now are the scoops. You might contact them, but I suspect the kit and the ducts are no longer available.
I’m sure Vettevillians could supply the ducts.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:35 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

The term "aerodymanics" is very broad that has little meaning without knowing what you are trying to accomplish in regards to a specific vehicle model. Are you trying to get maximum aero efficiency for fuel mileage, maximum high speed stability with minimum drag or maximum downforce at speeds below 140 mph? That all matters on how you build your aero package. What works great on a Prius for maximum mpg is going to suck on a road course. I disagree with a lot of what is being said but it is very hard to discuss these different aero options since so many terms are being interchanged but work on different principles....splitters vs air dams, wing versus duckbill spoiler, canard vs spats, etc.

So, in talking about rear brake duct aerodynamics I found out that the stock C5 Z06 rear brake air duct is highly functional. As I was cleaning my Z06 after my last track day, I use a small handheld rechargeable Makita "leaf blower" to blow sand and grit out of the concave parts of the A-arms, etc. For some reason I pointed it towards the rear brake duct and to my amazement you could feel a lot of air being funneled through it. So I set up the mini leaf blow on a work stand near the front part of the door facing back towards the brake duct. The leaf blower was parallel to the door and about 6" from the door. I turned it on and was really amazed that the small amount of air this little blower was producing was actually funneling its way into the brake duct and blowing out the brake duct extension. I was impressed. I really wonder how much air is moving into the rear brake duct at say 90 mph. Might be interesting to set up a Go Pro with some streamers to document what kind of velocity the air being produced at different speeds.

Now here is the kicker....during my experiment my Vette was on a lift sitting still. If the car was going 90 mph for example, would there be enough high pressure generated in the rear wheel well to limit the air flow into the brake duct? At certain speeds could air reverse and come out the brake duct? Hmm....there is only one way to find out.
chasboy (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Beautiful!!

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Evil-Twin (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 PM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Not fond of the ones shown on eBay. Just slightly off topic but I know the Forum likes pics.
I recently purchased this 2002. When I went to look at it I loved everything except what I assumed were stick on rear scoops. Only assumed they were stick ons because I know how much work and expense it to add functional scoops and ducts. So I get the car home and a few days later I decided to check the date codes on the tires. I was looking for the ones on the rear and glanced at the rear scoops and I all of a sudden noticed that they were not closed but were open into what turned out to be the genuine ducts that actually went around to the back of the rotor. Turns out the original owner (not the guy I purchased the car from) had the functional rear brake vents and oem Z06 front screens installed. At that point I went from not liking the scoops because they were fake to really liking this mod! Because of the effort and expense you just don't see many non Z06s with them. Now the problem will be people assuming, like I did, that they are fakes!

Last edited by mattba; 03-21-2019 at 09:05 PM.
chasboy (03-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting fleabay rear brake ducts

Old 03-22-2019, 05:43 PM
BlackHellcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by mattba
Not fond of the ones shown on eBay. Just slightly off topic but I know the Forum likes pics.
I recently purchased this 2002. When I went to look at it I loved everything except what I assumed were stick on rear scoops. Only assumed they were stick ons because I know how much work and expense it to add functional scoops and ducts. So I get the car home and a few days later I decided to check the date codes on the tires. I was looking for the ones on the rear and glanced at the rear scoops and I all of a sudden noticed that they were not closed but were open into what turned out to be the genuine ducts that actually went around to the back of the rotor. Turns out the original owner (not the guy I purchased the car from) had the functional rear brake vents and oem Z06 front screens installed. At that point I went from not liking the scoops because they were fake to really liking this mod! Because of the effort and expense you just don't see many non Z06s with them. Now the problem will be people assuming, like I did, that they are fakes!

Stop caring what people think
Old 03-22-2019, 06:07 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

well, FWIW, I like Mag Red!
mattba (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Okeedokee! I will start with your reply to my post...

Quick Reply: Interesting fleabay rear brake ducts