inside of rear tire

inside of rear tire

outside of rear tire
Hey long time
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM
cody123
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys been a long time since I posted. Been very busy. Anyway I got this 99 coupe yesterday and it has a set of Michelin A/S on it and the rear passenger tire I noticed was worn on the outside. The more I looked the inside was showing the cord. Now the car has 90k miles and is an M6. I was going to buy to drive through the summer as I like to have a car I don't mind to get a scuff on here or there, or drive in the rain, but I bought a 98 convertible that will fit the bill I just wish the convertible was a M6 like this 99. Anyway. I called the Chevy dealer and had them order me a nitto tire and will do an alignment after that. I just wanted your thoughts. More than the tire, the car keeps coming up with the service abs, stability, and something else. The two lights illuminated are the car skid mark, and the abs. I have been getting 1233 code. Please not I am not a good mechanic. But I want to sell this car to someone and do not want to sell them a huge problem although I think even with the lights on the car is worth 10 grand. Anyway calling all guru's ….
Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Cord showing is a sign of imminent seperation- you have a safety issue here.

What is the date code on the tires? The tread looks good, but if the tires are old, they can (and will) separate.
The following users liked this post:
cody123 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:26 PM
cody123
Instructor

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Cord showing is a sign of imminent seperation- you have a safety issue here.

What is the date code on the tires? The tread looks good, but if the tires are old, they can (and will) separate.
bill where would the dates be? also any idea on the dash lights? I remember my old impala SS had a bad wheel bearing and it had a abs and trac light on, are these cars the same?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:32 PM
arthursc2
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Take the fender off to prevent damage do them, do copious burnouts

Then get new tires and an alignment
Old 03-21-2019, 09:24 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I would also check the Rear Tie Rods.. INNER & OUTTER . They do wear out, just like the fronts and will
cause a rear alignment issue. That's usually why tires would wear on inside/outside.
To my knowledge, only GM makes the outters. So be prepared to order them ahead of time for your alignment shop
Old 03-21-2019, 10:38 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by foggy
I would also check the Rear Tie Rods.. INNER & OUTTER . They do wear out, just like the fronts and will
cause a rear alignment issue. That's usually why tires would wear on inside/outside.
To my knowledge, only GM makes the outters. So be prepared to order them ahead of time for your alignment shop
I was going to say the same thing and scrolled to the bottom and saw your post.

I agree 100% change the inner/outers on both sides and have it aligned with new tires.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:37 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

C1233 RF Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 03-22-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by cody123
Anyway. I called the Chevy dealer and had them order me a nitto tire and will do an alignment after that. I just wanted your thoughts.
I strongly suggest that you do NOT replace just one tire. The posi unit in the differential may not be happy with two tires that aren't very close to the same OD. Believe me, I know this from personal experience....
Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

bill where would the dates be?
The date of the tire is located on the sidewall, typically four numbers that are circled by a rectangular oval. While the code varies from manufacturer to manufacturer the set of numbers typically note the week the tire was built and the year, so a code that reads "2316" would be the twenty-third month of 2016.

Tires should be replaced every five to six years regardless of tread life, so if they are that old or older there is a high chance of abnormal wear or failure.

I also agree that you need to have the car's alignment and suspension components checked. A car that appears to be driving straight does not necessarily mean it has proper alignment.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:52 AM
cody123
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
C1233 RF Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

https://youtu.be/C7Di3XrAgYE

the thing is with this car the codes aren't that intermittent they always come on, they aren't on as soon as you start it but very quickly they turn on. Also, as far as replacing both tires, surely a new Michelin and a new nitto wouldn't mess anything up. I know on any vehicle you don't want to run two different size tires, but these are the same size , and the Michelin is almost new and the nitto will be new. I will drop the car off at chevy today

also good advice about the tie rods I didn't realize the rear had tie rods, but it makes me wonder why it would only wear the one side...
Old 03-22-2019, 10:55 AM
cody123
Instructor

the car runs and drives excellent, I am going to have it serviced while in the shop. It has a clean Carfax 2 owners. I think 10k is super cheap for this car. From what I've seen people ask insane prices for these cars. I've had probably 10 of them myself lol. I love them I think I like a nice c5 better than a C6 unless its an ls3 C6
Old 03-22-2019, 11:26 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Also, as far as replacing both tires, surely a new Michelin and a new nitto wouldn't mess anything up. I know on any vehicle you don't want to run two different size tires, but these are the same size , and the Michelin is almost new and the nitto will be new. :
This is logical but wrong. This line of thinking is like saying that "if you are wearing two different style shoes they will fit and feel the same as long as they are the same size." Each tire manufacture will be different in construction, rubber compounds, riding stiffness, tread pattern, grip, wet weather characteristics....ect. If you have the same in all for corners you will have a balanced machine.

Simply the tires WILL fight against each other even if the same size. You are having codes related to traction control? Well, different tires (fighting each other) may be part of your problem?
Old 03-22-2019, 11:51 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
The date of the tire is located on the sidewall, typically four numbers that are circled by a rectangular oval. While the code varies from manufacturer to manufacturer the set of numbers typically note the week the tire was built and the year, so a code that reads "2316" would be the twenty-third month of 2016.

Tires should be replaced every five to six years regardless of tread life, so if they are that old or older there is a high chance of abnormal wear or failure.

I also agree that you need to have the car's alignment and suspension components checked. A car that appears to be driving straight does not necessarily mean it has proper alignment.
Pretty sure you meant the 23rd week of 2016, but yeah, it gets the idea across. Also, along with the 4 numbers in that oval area, it usually begins with "DOT"....
Old 03-22-2019, 02:59 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

This looks like a suspension geometry problem. A C5 requires a 4 wheel alignment… the rears have to be done before the fronts. Looks like that corner took a hit with a pothole or some road hazard.. before replacing any tires make sure you have a good 4 wheel alignment,,, do the research, Some one who has a good reputation in alignments. Not every alignment shop does a good job. Many subscribe to the notion that once it leaves their shop, any road hazard could compromise their alignment. You want to get a printed readout, with specs for your car and their final adjustment both fronts and rears.
Bill aka ET

I know a few things because I have seen a few things
Old 03-22-2019, 03:14 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
make sure you have a good 4 wheel alignment,,, do the research, Some one who has a good reputation in alignments. Not every alignment shop does a good job.
This is true. After a few false starts, I took mine to the Chevy dealer. The dealer got it spot on, first time. To me this makes sense as the alignment shop "pros" probably just finished with a Camry just before starting on the Vette.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:46 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

This might seem like a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Could that wear be from many miles on an old under-inflated tire?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:27 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AE Guy
This might seem like a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Could that wear be from many miles on an old under-inflated tire?
Not stupid at all and quite possible
Old 03-22-2019, 08:04 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

As much as I am reluctant to take my cars to the GM dealers after the warranties are up, I will say that my local Chevy dealer has been the only shop that gets a 4 wheel alignment correct on my C5.

Get notified of new replies

To strange tire wear on rear tire

Quick Reply: strange tire wear on rear tire