Sponsored by:

Not unexpected but interesting

Old 03-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Not unexpected but interesting

Ive noticed the forum ( C5 Gen ) is not as active . Other then the fact that the car is 20 years old and that many have moved on. I though I would take an unscientific measurement. One with few perameters, just to measure the C4 Gen forum, C5 gen, C6 gen, and C7 gen, at the same time of the day, NOW. to see how many active threads were in each ( active meaning todays participation.
hope you winf this interesting but totally expected.
Active threads today at this time.
C4 gen 18
C5 gen 29
C6 gen 40
C7 gen 48

Just for fun
Bill aka ET

Popular Reply

03-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You have been here for 2 months and have 40 post under your belt... Ive been here for 18 years and have read every thread and post in this C5 general forum. I have seen people (joke with a Newbie ) Ive seen people being a smart ***... they are few and far between. The trick here is to find people who's advice, empathy, and guidance is credible. Any internet forum can have its detractors. Hang in there. If someone bothers you, there is an Ignore function. There are enough " good people" here to get the information you seek. I have answered the same questions hundreds of time in my time here.. I have 30,000 private message post from people just like you who are reluctant to post in open forum for fear of ridicule.

You experience with asses is not unique.. just understand that this forum is here to help you enjoy and share your Corvette experience.

Bill aka ET
Old 03-22-2019, 01:46 PM
flyingmfrc
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 271 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Unmodified

It might be interesting to know how long the participants for each generation have been on this forum. Maybe the longer they have used this forum, the less they participate????
Old 03-22-2019, 02:03 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,861 Likes on 1,079 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by flyingmfrc
It might be interesting to know how long the participants for each generation have been on this forum. Maybe the longer they have used this forum, the less they participate????
I've wondered that, too. Since I'm new to the C5 family, I'm trying to do my part and catch up.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:16 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I know at least in C5 world, with the prices dropping, a lot of younger guys are starting to buy them. And the younger generation definitely favors facebook, social media over forums such as this. I probably fall into this younger generation group..........but I think forums are way better format to have real discussions and make it easy to search old threads, etc.

C5 facebook group(s) are very active these days.

Last edited by aaronc7; 03-22-2019 at 02:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aaronc7:
Edmund Iverson (03-26-2019), FYRARMS (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 PM
lunaticfringe007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by USAZR1
I've wondered that, too. Since I'm new to the C5 family, I'm trying to do my part and catch up.
same here. The info here is even more valuable now that these cars are getting close to 20+ years old. So far the information here and the people here are outstanding.
The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (03-26-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:38 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by aaronc7
I know at least in C5 world, with the prices dropping, a lot of younger guys are starting to buy them. And the younger generation definitely favors facebook, social media over forums such as this. I probably fall into this younger generation group..........but I think forums are way better format to have real discussions and make it easy to search old threads, etc.

I am a fairly progressive guy, especially for an old guy, I would like to think that I am fairly smart , highly educated, ( two engineering degrees ) and of above average intelligence. However, I still can not get my head around people advertising their plans for the day, the night, the weekend and when they are on vacation , etc... posting pictures of questionable social interaction that could negatively impact their careers ( jobs ) and their personal security. Bragging about being out of town, is not what I would think to be an intelligent social sharing moment.

Bill aka ET
The following 12 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
bc6152 (03-22-2019), glbeauchamp (03-23-2019), Hotrodzz3 (03-25-2019), Jim_ZO6 (03-22-2019), leadfoot4 (03-23-2019), lunaticfringe007 (03-22-2019), Mike98SilVert (03-22-2019), RIKKI Z-06 (03-23-2019), rrwirsi (03-23-2019), stig-zzz (03-22-2019), VETTEC599 (03-23-2019), zachaeous (03-23-2019) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:41 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7

FB is a dumpster fire of a way to do anything automotive related. As someone who joined FB in college when it was still restricted to just college, I saw the appeal of it and as a good way to have OT discussions about cars and whatnot, but it's not a good technical resource. It's a good place to buy and sell parts locally, though.

EDIT: I've been a moderator on a Honda Accord forum since like 2005 when I was still in college and it used to be very active when the cars were still only 12-15 years old (it was 4th generation specific). There's an official site FB group and you couldn't pay me to set foot in there. The misinformation is rampant and no one cares.

Last edited by MikeyMcFly; 03-22-2019 at 02:50 PM.
jrob56 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:45 PM
flyingmfrc
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 271 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Unmodified

AHHHH...the Face Book alternative. Not for me.....
Old 03-22-2019, 02:59 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingmfrc
I've only been on here since 2013. Before that I was on a C5 specific forum, but it started losing commenters once the C6 had been out a little while, as more and more C5 owners "upgraded". I did like that it did not carry ads in the discussion areas, and had a number of "Day One" C5 owners, who like me, had been through their dealers' learning curves.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:05 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I am a fairly progressive guy, especially for an old guy, I would like to think that I am fairly smart , highly educated, ( two engineering degrees ) and of above average intelligence. However, I still can not get my head around people advertising their plans for the day, the night, the weekend and when they are on vacation , etc... posting pictures of questionable social interaction that could negatively impact their careers ( jobs ) and their personal security. Bragging about being out of town, is not what I would think to be an intelligent social sharing moment.

Bill aka ET
Well Bill you totally nailed it. Touched on all the nonsensical information (IMO) that is put online and serves no purpose at all. And my profile would be akin to yours...
Old 03-22-2019, 03:07 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Interesting data. Any reason for not including the other Gens? Wonder if they are gaining or losing popularity? Maybe the activity curve follows the same reverse bell curve of the car values over time?
Old 03-22-2019, 03:13 PM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Being a new owner of a C5, as well as a new member of the forum, I would like to offer an observation about this topic:
I will have to say that many of threads I've looked up seem to have at least two people responding to queries with a curt admonition to "look up the answer using the search function". It seems pretty evident that a vocal few consider it a waste of cyberspace when they see a question asked more than once.
I actually posted a thread thanking those that came before me, as I used some information gleaned from an older post to correct a problem I was having with my Y2K key fob. The only response I got was a rather derisive and smug retort suggesting that I wasn't smart enough to check the battery first. I happened to have left out the fact that I checked the battery, but I guess it made that guy feel better by deriding someone who has owned his vehicle for less than two weeks.
All this is to say that I, and possibly other "new members" feel more than a little reluctant to post a "new" thread, as I for one, don't appreciate being reprimanded by some wise-a$$ who tells me that the answer I seek is in the Search function. Many times the information found in the searches can be several years old, and I would like to make sure that the years-old advice is still applicable.
Now, let me make sure that I'm very clear in saying that this only a FEW people making these snide swipes, as I have met MANY kind and helpful people during my very brief time here, but I frankly don't have the patience to put up with a jack-*** comment that could just as well have taken a shorter amount of time to actually answer the "repeated" question.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You have been here for 2 months and have 40 post under your belt... Ive been here for 18 years and have read every thread and post in this C5 general forum. I have seen people (joke with a Newbie ) Ive seen people being a smart ***... they are few and far between. The trick here is to find people who's advice, empathy, and guidance is credible. Any internet forum can have its detractors. Hang in there. If someone bothers you, there is an Ignore function. There are enough " good people" here to get the information you seek. I have answered the same questions hundreds of time in my time here.. I have 30,000 private message post from people just like you who are reluctant to post in open forum for fear of ridicule.

You experience with asses is not unique.. just understand that this forum is here to help you enjoy and share your Corvette experience.

Bill aka ET
The following 11 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
C5 4me (03-22-2019), Dave1 (03-23-2019), ducatidennis (03-22-2019), Edmund Iverson (03-22-2019), Imamotohead (03-24-2019), IowaZR1 (03-23-2019), Koufax (03-22-2019), RIKKI Z-06 (03-23-2019), stig-zzz (03-22-2019), USAZR1 (03-22-2019), zachaeous (03-23-2019) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:36 PM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for the support, Bill! I was on a couple of Mustang forums for seven years before buying my Vette and joining here, so I understand completely. The amount of kind and patient responses/interactions I've personally had here far outweigh the few numbskulls who troll the threads to make themselves feel better by demeaning others. I've gained a wealth of knowledge and hope to be of help wherever I can, for now with my background in detailing, and later, from my experiences with this new car! Happy motoring!
Old 03-22-2019, 03:52 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Edmund: WRT "Look up answers using the search function" - trouble is, it's pretty useless. Far, far better to use Google to find the threads which respond to your questions. Anyway, as a long time (1997) C5 owner, Welcome.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackthelad:
chasboy (03-22-2019), Edmund Iverson (03-26-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM
jrob56
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly
FB is a dumpster fire of a way to do anything automotive related. As someone who joined FB in college when it was still restricted to just college, I saw the appeal of it and as a good way to have OT discussions about cars and whatnot, but it's not a good technical resource. It's a good place to buy and sell parts locally, though.

EDIT: I've been a moderator on a Honda Accord forum since like 2005 when I was still in college and it used to be very active when the cars were still only 12-15 years old (it was 4th generation specific). There's an official site FB group and you couldn't pay me to set foot in there. The misinformation is rampant and no one cares.
Couldn't have said it better. Forums are dying, but whats replacing it has no good way of cataloging and searching technical knowledge pooled like these forums. I am in quite a few of the LS Facebook groups. Only get on to look at stuff for sale, the rest is a dumpster fire.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:20 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

Bill aka ET
Well-put ET, well-put.

Get notified of new replies

To Not unexpected but interesting

Old 03-22-2019, 04:42 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

I have learned more about my Corvette from the Corvette Forum (CF) than anywhere else. Even if you combined the knowledge I've gained from fellow Corvette enthusiasts at many all Corvette car shows & clubs, manuals/books, and other online websites/forums - nothing compares to the CF in my opinion. The only thing that comes close for me is YouTube, and there just aren't enough videos to compete with the knowledge of the CF veterans at this point in time. I am anti-Facebook for the reasons ET mentioned in a post far above and will have nothing to do with it, but I do visit CF at least once a day if not multiple times a day.

This forum has helped me save a ton of cash by guiding me to maintain and repair my car by myself. Long Live the CF!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:51 PM
TinkersVet
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

If you drive a Vet you will have questions. Ask them and you will get answers some of which are helpful some are not. Never worry if someone gives a curt answer, someone will point you in the right direction. As in life there are always goofballs and curves---dodge the goofballs and enjoy the curves. Ridicule away don't care ---I'm going for a ride. oh and always listen to E.T.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

While I enjoy this forum, I must say that it has COST me a ton of cash by telling me about fun mods I never would have known about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not unexpected but interesting