Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix for squeaky seat belt tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 11:45 PM
Coyote
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Fix for squeaky seat belt tensioner?

The driver side seat belt tensioner of my AE Vert makes a squeaky noise whenever I make even the slightest movement. Is there a way to lubricate this to fix the issue? (Oil up the 'pulley' or whatever is in there)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:47 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

pull it out of the car and you can probably spray some silicone spray on it....best to remove it from the car so you don't get it on the belt....and BTW these things are position sensitive so when you remove it you have to hold it just right to allow you to pull the belt out
Old 03-24-2019, 09:56 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote
The driver side seat belt tensioner of my AE Vert makes a squeaky noise whenever I make even the slightest movement. Is there a way to lubricate this to fix the issue? (Oil up the 'pulley' or whatever is in there)
My '01 convertible had a myriad of squeaks and rattles and having owned it since December of '17 I have managed to find and eliminate all but one (a rattle from the rear driver's quarter, when hitting a series of pavement imperfections "just so").

I may have experienced a squeak similar to the one you describe. With every pull at the belt, even a slight one under moderate braking or movement in the seat, I would hear a squeak. In the case of my car- it wasn't anything that lubrication would fix and it wasn't the tensioner mechanism- rather it was the seat belt keeper swivel. I put two circular Velcro felts on the underside of the keeper and no more squeak. I can't explain exactly how or why it eliminated the squeak- but it did!

PS- I recall I may have shot some lubricant into the swivel- so you should try that too.

Try this and let me know if it works for you-

Last edited by wdcraig; 03-24-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

I have the same EXACT squeak. It’s amazing what you can find in this forum.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:35 PM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
I have the same EXACT squeak. It’s amazing what you can find in this forum.
I did this over a year ago, and so my memory is a bit faded. You may also find the source of the squeak is that swivel rubbing up against the spring hinge of the little lid that is up when the top up and springs shut with the top down. I put a Velcro pad on the cover where the swivel contacts the cover (and also some lubrication on the hinge). If you look carefully at my photo you can see that too- (looks like I may need to put another felt there as it is coming loose at one end).

So- a little bit of lube for the swivel, a little bit of lube for the spring cover hinge and some Velcro pads on the swivel and on the lid where the swivel can contact it. That's what worked for me-

Get notified of new replies

To Fix for squeaky seat belt tensioner?

Quick Reply: Fix for squeaky seat belt tensioner?