Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to install an aftermarket hood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 01:23 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
ya... the bar can't be set by a hood that's no longer available.

that's just a memory of a byegone era lol. it's not even worth discussing anymore.

The AC hood fits great. zero alignment issues other than your standard adjustments (which you would have had to make on ANY including OE hood).

The CC hood i have no experience with.
You do not understand the meaning of setting the bar... it means the MCM hood is the high bar, if you can find something as good as this then you are doing good. IM trying to help the OP.. and my posse of haters continue to do their thing.. its nice to know that me and my post and photos are living in their head while they are here.

My point your ridicule and the other two haters in this thread were meant for the OP... the pictures are new to the OP... the haters will continue to hate.. they have been warned by admin and their hateful post have been removed in the past.. The point is there are people out there selling them, I know of two that were sold in the last few months.,
The following 2 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
vettefordays (03-25-2019), Yello95 (01-28-2020)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

Michael Jordan retired and no longer plays in the NBA. Does that mean the bar he set doesn't exist anymore?
Old 03-25-2019, 01:35 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by vettefordays
Michael Jordan retired and no longer plays in the NBA. Does that mean the bar he set doesn't exist anymore?
Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a single NBA Game. in1962... he's gone now we wont ever see him again but that's a benchmark that might never be toppled.
The MCM hood is the high bar until someone comes out with something better.. My point that one of these hood could come up for sale and if you did not already know of its quality, you might pass on the opportunity to get one.. The education on this hood put forth here is for the education of members especially Newbies that are interested in things like this,.. the haters only screw this forum up with their childish and pathetic snipes..

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 03-25-2019 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (01-28-2020)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:38 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a single NBA Game. in1962... he's gone now we wont ever see him again but that's a benchmark that might never be toppled.
The MCM hood is the high bar until someone comes out with something better.. My point that one of these hood could come up for sale and if you did not already know of its quality, you might pass on the opportunity to get one.. The education on this hood put forth here is for the education of members especially Newbies that are interested in things like this,.. the haters only screw this forum up with their childish and pathetic snipes..

I agree 100%!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:00 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

I have absolutely nothing nice to say about Carbon Creationz. Have you looked into the Black Dog Racing Hood?

http://www.blackdogspeedshop.com/ind...prod/prd14.htm
Old 03-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Triplex07
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

It's all Good. I for one would like to know why MCM decided to close up shop? Another thing I have noticed. Not sure how accurate this is, but from reading. Most of the higher quality hoods have almost doubled in price since they first came out. I'm guessing because they don't make as many and are focusing on the newer corvettes??
Old 03-25-2019, 02:05 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You do not understand the meaning of setting the bar... it means the MCM hood is the high bar, if you can find something as good as this then you are doing good. IM trying to help the OP.. and my posse of haters continue to do their thing.. its nice to know that me and my post and photos are living in their head while they are here.

My point your ridicule and the other two haters in this thread were meant for the OP... the pictures are new to the OP... the haters will continue to hate.. they have been warned by admin and their hateful post have been removed in the past.. The point is there are people out there selling them, I know of two that were sold in the last few months.,
I don't hate. I don't care enough to hate.

Sure michael jordan set a bar when he played. But i can turn on the TV and see the historical record of his accomplishments. They're televised. In pics most of these hoods look to be the same quality. you can try and TELL me about how great the hood is. But the reality is until you really look one over in person it never comes across.

What does come across is having to listen to people go on and on and on about a hood you can no longer buy, that you MIGHT see at a show or corvette event, but chances are... with the hood closed. you'll have no idea if it's a CC, or AC, or MCM.

i'm not trying to start some epic debate or hate on your hood. i like the MCM hood. i probably would have purchased it based on the recommendations of people that have it. But that ship has sailed. and i doubt most of us will ever even see one in person.

*edit* also just to be clear. I have zero emotional attachment to any piece of equipment, parts, etc that i buy. If i buy something, and it's garbage, or flawed, or whatever. I 100% absolutely share that information. Because if someone else buys based on my recommendation I don't want that bad karma on me lol.

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 03-25-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:33 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Triplex07
It's all Good. I for one would like to know why MCM decided to close up shop? Another thing I have noticed. Not sure how accurate this is, but from reading. Most of the higher quality hoods have almost doubled in price since they first came out. I'm guessing because they don't make as many and are focusing on the newer corvettes??
I was close to the owner...Mike Mickoz we were about to collaborate on an MCM front fascia, and rear duck bill. Mike was and I am a design engineer ) ,Mike designed and built all of the Factory C4R race car ground effects. when he suddenly passed away. I was the first person to be offered the process and molds.. I was very sick myself only to find out later just how sick I actually was.. several people tried to make an attempt with Mikes molds, right before he died the price of carbon fiber doubled. The reason they are not made now is because the molds are for C5 and C6, the hoods are labor intensive to make. There is not enough profit to make them anymore because of the cost of Carbon fiber, and the time it takes to make one. Few people would be willing to spend 3K( to make a profit ) on a hood that fits a car that is 20 years old. These molds are designed with a very specific shrink factor, its the reason they fit so well. the molds are designed for a " vacuum formed process " which is time consuming but repeatable quality and dimensions.. The dimensions, when cured are exactly the same as the factory hood , but with a heat extracting design, and in the lighter carbon fiber. All factory hood hardware is used in the mounting, the fit is perfect out of the box.

I hope some will find this interesting
Bill aka ET
The following 3 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
IMXCITD (03-31-2019), USAZR1 (03-25-2019), Yello95 (01-28-2020)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:49 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,083 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
Have you looked into the Black Dog Racing Hood? http://www.blackdogspeedshop.com/ind...prod/prd14.htm
I really like that hood, JD, but the cost will probably keep me from ever owning one. Obviously, many agree because they are really rare. IMO, there's just not much of a market for $3K C5 hood, no matter how good they are.

The MCM may be the Holy Grail for some of you and that's great. For me, personally, it's just not what I'm looking for. Even if they were still available, at a reasonable price (less than $2K), I wouldn't be interested. My favorite hood is the RK Sport or Caravaggio high-rise. Second would be the Black Dog unit. I traded a pair of CCW SP500 wheels that I had for sale, for my Caravaggio hood, and couldn't be more excited.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

My concern with aftermarket hoods are how well they will stand up to the speeds the C5 is capable of.
If you have anything taller than the stock intake, you need something.

Last edited by Rob 02; 03-25-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:53 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

I was close to the owner...Mike Mickoz we were about to collaborate on an MCM front fascia, and rear duck bill. Mike was and I am a design engineer ) ,Mike designed and built all of the Factory C4R race car ground effects. when he suddenly passed away. I was the first person to be offered the process and molds.. I was very sick myself only to find out later just how sick I actually was.. several people tried to make an attempt with Mikes molds, right before he died the price of carbon fiber doubled. The reason they are not made now is because the molds are for C5 and C6, the hoods are labor intensive to make. There is not enough profit to make them anymore because of the cost of Carbon fiber, and the time it takes to make one. Few people would be willing to spend 3K( to make a profit ) on a hood that fits a car that is 20 years old. These molds are designed with a very specific shrink factor, its the reason they fit so well. the molds are designed for a " vacuum formed process " which is time consuming but repeatable quality and dimensions.. The dimensions, when cured are exactly the same as the factory hood , but with a heat extracting design, and in the lighter carbon fiber. All factory hood hardware is used in the mounting, the fit is perfect out of the box.

I hope some will find this interesting
Bill aka ET
Bill, I know exactly what you're saying, as I know people that work a lot with carbon fiber. That's the reason the Black Dog Speed hoods are so expensive, too.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM
Triplex07
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend Mike. You Guyz made a quality product. I guess that is why most companies now of days do the Carbon Fiber over Fiberglass. To cut down on cost.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I had nothing to do with the development of the MCM C5 hoods or their manufacture . I became friendly with Mike through GM and my research. We became friends and we were exploring the idea of co-designing a MCM front and rear Fascia.

Bill aka ET
Old 03-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Anyone that doubts aftermarket body panels typically have many issues like fit/finish need not trust anyone here...... just go ask a good body shop, (the one you will have do the work) and see what they think of them. Lots of busy shops won’t even consider trying unless they are doing you a favor...

if they they say “no problem” then I wouldn’t trust them

jmho
Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 511 Posts

Call me lucky, but I just picked up an aftermarket "hi-rise" hood from a stranger on Craigslist a couple weeks ago and I had no problems installing it with stock hardware by myself. After some research, I believe it to be the ACI hood (the dip in the hood starts higher up and it's got the template outlines for the cowl induction option). It's not a perfect fit and it's got some imperfections, but overall it's a 7/10 and I'm completely happy with it. Would I be upset if I paid full retail price for it and still had to have it painted and fitted? Definitely lol. But this is a 20 year old platform and although I bought my car nearly a couple years ago with 41k miles on it and gladly paid a premium for the mileage/condition, I don't expect it to be a show car. It all depends on your standards and if you're patient enough to wait for a good deal Took about 15 minutes to align it the best it could get by moving the hood hinges where they mount to the frame.

Last edited by heggsc5; 03-25-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:59 AM
BodymanBob
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Aftermarket parts

As a old Bodyman I’ve delt with all kinds of reproduction parts over the years . For the most part they are pure junk at best, however some have been just ok. Even the ones that where ok require extensive work to bring them up to showroom condition. Most are displayed on a photo that has perfect lighting and in such a small image that makes close inspection impossible. A fiberglass or a plastic composite hood will invariably be wavy with small pin holes and will require you to spend many hours fitting and blocking it If your planning on a dark color plan on a additional 50% more time and materials. It can be done and it can be very stunning IF YOUR PREPARED TO PUT IN THE EFFORT. If your part is shipped to you OPEN IT BEFORE THE CARRIER LEAVES TO CHECK FOR DAMAGE ! If damaged REFUSE DELIVERY! Parts are extremely expensive so make sure it’s in good shape before you try and make it look like it belongs on the car . Their are always exceptions and I truly hope you get a good part that looks good and fits. Well this is just my opinion and you know what they about options.
Good luck, Bob
Rob 02 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Meeegaaa_Tron
Hey guys! I was just wondering if i could get some opinions from guys who have installed aftermarket hoods. Im looking a picking up a carbon creations hood for my 99 C5. I went on there site and it says they recommend using hood pins but not sure if you have to have them. So im assuming the hood comes with a latch? Also how hard are these to align up? Thanks for any input i can get!
Heres my opinion....

Get notified of new replies

To How hard is it to install an aftermarket hood?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:11 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Yello95
Heres my opinion....

Hopefully, my new hood will look like that, next week.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:05 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

After seeing some of the more positive post here, It looks like QC has improved over the years on some of these.
I'm still concerned about structural rigidity before pulling the trigger on one of these.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:45 PM
DBS99MagRedCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I had good luck with my RK Sport RK5 hood. Fit good out of the box only needed minor tweaking. I had to modify a small section of the back rib to clear the magnacharger pulleys. It uses stock hinges and latches.

Last edited by DBS99MagRedCoupe; 03-30-2019 at 07:48 PM.
USAZR1 (05-03-2019)

Quick Reply: How hard is it to install an aftermarket hood?