Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn between a C5 coupe or vert!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:30 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Just got back driving 1 hour with the top down in sunny 75 degrees. There is nothing, nothing, more invigorating then driving a C5 Vert car with an totally open top, listening to the wind mixed with the tunes on CD and then getting looks from other drivers (even those with non Corvette verts) absorbing the adrenaline to do it again tomorrow.
The following 2 users liked this post by rrwirsi:
JerriVette (04-23-2019), Vettedream53 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:10 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Just got back driving 1 hour with the top down in sunny 75 degrees. There is nothing, nothing, more invigorating then driving a C5 Vert car with an totally open top, listening to the wind mixed with the tunes on CD and then getting looks from other drivers (even those with non Corvette verts) absorbing the adrenaline to do it again tomorrow.
100%
Old 04-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Vettedream53
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I read each one and digested each one and will hopefully make the right choice soon. I plan on seeing the '02 vert tomorrow. The owner has about 25 vettes at all times. He seems to have more C6's now but does have four or five C5's, coupes and verts. So it should be a very interesting day. His place is about an hour and 25 mins from me in Pa. Thanks again for all the input. I will post what, if anything, happens tomorrow.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
TCFS (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:41 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Convertible gets my vote. I've had t-tops or removable tops in every Corvette and when I finally got a convertible, I loved it. Next one will be too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aerovette:
rjwvetttt (04-23-2019), Vettedream53 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:15 PM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 517 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwvetttt
Top stuck in the up or down position? What?
I've never heard of that on C5.
You are correct, no power top until C6, my bad.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

It literally takes five seconds to put the top up or down on the vert, you can do it at a stop light, I do it all the time and it stores itself. That ain’t happening with a targa top.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 04-24-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Edmund Iverson (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:14 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie N
Secret option C

Z06! Why the hell not? It's better looking than the others :-)

If you get a vert all your friends are gonna make fun of you. In a Z06 you'll be the cool old guy, not the second mid life crisis old guy. It's science.
If anybody makes fun of a convertible, I ask them what Michael Schumacher drove when he won so many F1 titles?? Or A.J. Foyt with his Indy 500 victories?? That blows their minds every time.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:20 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

I owned a 1998 C5 convertible (and a 1986 C4 convertible). I loved both of them, more fun with the top down than the two C5 coupes I have owned. That said, both of my convertibles leaked while driving in Southwest Florida's frequent heavy rainstorms, but they rarely leaked while parked. Ultimately, I grew tired of the leaking and significantly smaller trunk space, so I sold both of them and bought two coupes.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:21 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The verts are definitely more desirable for a lot of people, me....not so much.
I had a coupe and loved it. When I wanted the open air, I had it, but on the other 300 days year I had a hard top.
Not knocking anyone, but thats what worked for me.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 AM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm a coupe guy for sure at my young age of 76. The quietness, the ac, the heat. Get enough of the open air stuff on my Suzuki Bandit and KLR 650.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:48 AM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 517 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
I've never had trouble removing the targa top by myself and putting it back, but I am only 28. I actually do the opposite, I set the rear edge down on the halo first and slide it into place before dropping the front down. These things are tougher than you think.
That’s the way I do it. I have long arms, so maybe that’s why I don’t have any trouble with it. BTW, I’m 60 and not in particularly good shape.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteBrent
I owned a 1998 C5 convertible (and a 1986 C4 convertible). I loved both of them, more fun with the top down than the two C5 coupes I have owned. That said, both of my convertibles leaked while driving in Southwest Florida's frequent heavy rainstorms, but they rarely leaked while parked. Ultimately, I grew tired of the leaking and significantly smaller trunk space, so I sold both of them and bought two coupes.
When I was looking at my C5 I told the guy it was going to be an unusual test drive. He asked why and I said "Because we're going to a car wash. If it doesn't leak, it is sold". They had one on the lot and we sat there while the touch-less did its thing. No leaks and I bought it.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I just bought my 1st Vette in March, but it was my second convertible (prior car was 2005 Mustang GT vert that I enjoyed for seven years). The allure of the targa top was strong for me as well, but, as was mentioned in an earlier post, this is my wife's and my "date car". Not a DD that I'll leave food wrappers and errant papers strewn about the floor, and certainly nothing that I'm going to haul anything in except me and my best girl (married 25 years as of Tuesday!). It needed to be a kind of "show car", not an average grocery-getter, and I was pretty sure I'd end up using that space in the coupe as a catch-all for miscellaneous everyday detritus.
I drove several verts and coupes, and each time I enjoyed the verts much more than the coupes. I'm NOT knocking the coupe! It just wasn't the driving experience that I wanted out of my "specialty/date night" ride.
Try the automatics as well as the manuals, they are all FAST, but you alone will determine what suits your driving experience desires.
--Also, I second everything that JerriVette posted!
Best of luck, and enjoy the hunt! Post pics!!
Old 04-26-2019, 12:15 PM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Vote Vert

Gary, they're both incredible cars. It all depends on how and where and when you drive it.
I would vote for the vert. If it's warm weather, the roof is down for me in Kentucky.
I wanted a coupe and happened to find a vert that was one owner with really low miles and a great price I couldn't pass up.
If it's your daily driver, you might like to drive a coupe in Jersey weather.
Btw, Michelins make for a very quiet ride with great handling.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Marty 04
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also just my first corvette , at 65 , an 04 black vert and me and mama both love it
JerriVette (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 03:42 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Here you go. The best of both worlds. A vert and a coup. Just a little $$ will get you both.

C5 Convertible Hard Top / Standard Rear Window
Old 04-26-2019, 05:06 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Here you go. The best of both worlds. A vert and a coup. Just a little $$ will get you both.

C5 Convertible Hard Top / Standard Rear Window
Total waste of money.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:52 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
Wind noise is really not that bad in convertible so long as your weather stripping is good and top and windows are properly adjusted.
There is the maintenance issue. You will eventually have to replace the top. The top itself is not too expensive $400 - $500. Installation will run around $1200. I installed mine myself. It's not hard but is a bit tedious.

There is nothing like cruising the back roads top down on a warm Spring day.! I love my 2004 CE verte! Daily driver 110k miles

Tops do not have to be replaces too often.
Friend of mine in Fla. has an 02 vert and top is in very good condition. My 05's top is like new and doesn't leak. Both our cars are garaged and we use Rag Top cleaner and conditioner.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:56 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettedream53
Happy Easter, everyone!

I have been in the searching stage for my first Corvette for the past few months. I'm 65 and figure if now is not the time, then it will never be! Anyway, I've always had my heart on getting a C5 convertible. But as I'm in the process of looking at both the coupe and vert, I'm starting to likes the looks of the coupe too. So as of right now, I am basically at a deadlock. I know it's all about personal taste, but I was just hoping for some input from members who have owned a coupe and went to a convertible or vice-versa. I appreciate any opinions on the subject. Thank you for your help. It's much appreciated.
Gary (NJ)
I'm your age and have had 14 Corvettes over the past 40 years up to C5s and C6s in coupe and convertible.

While the top down feeling is fun- I found it noisy in the raised position- I also worried about security with someone cutting through the fabric or even just vandalism.

I enjoy the coupe with the center section lifted off - - and in the cooler weather the lexan smoked top is perfect out here. Coupes are much better in extreme heat and cold- I am convinced the AC works better in the coupes.

Finally, when we go on road trips with the club- the coupe seems to have much more useable space for luggage, coolers and car care stuff.

But Gary- your car . . . .your call.

Suggest you find a Corvette club where you can ping other members and ride in both styles. Please post a photo of your new purchase.

Best wishes-

Quick Reply: Torn between a C5 coupe or vert!