Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you expect a dealer to have kept previous owner's maintenance records?

Old 04-22-2019, 02:08 PM
Abubaca
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Would you expect a dealer to have kept previous owner's maintenance records?

As I do my homework, and prepare to begin shopping, I'd really prefer a vehicle that of course looks the part, but also has maintenance records. That being said, if purchasing from a dealer, would you expect them to have kept those records, assuming the previous owner had them? I've always kept records of my vehicles, and I have never been asked for them when trading in. Would you consider a large dealer's "certified" inspection to stand in place of records?

When I finally write the check for my future C5Z, it will be the most money for the oldest car I've ever purchased, and will likely not carry any kind of warranty. I don't mind simply little one off fixes, but I want to be sure that overall the car is everything I expect it is when I plop down that money!
Old 04-22-2019, 02:17 PM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I expect ZERO from used car dealers. You're better off finding the right private seller and then paying for an independent inspection. These cars are simple and reliable. Only the most catastrophic faults would require a significant amount of money to fix.

Last edited by Jackie N; 04-22-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

He may have kept records but has no obligation to share them. So to answer your question, Yes he may have records of the previous owner if the previous owner is a long time customer. Handing them to a stranger is riddled with problems for the dealer, unless he has permission from the previous owner. I have every receipt for every mod , part, maintenance records since New.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:38 PM
Heyitsryan20
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The lack of records was one of the reasons that I went with a private sale versus a dealer. There were some sweet deals to be had through some local dealerships, but no paperwork that the work done was accomplished correctly.
The following users liked this post:
rrichar2591 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:38 PM
Abubaca
Advanced

I didn't think about the potential issues from the dealer, yet I still wouldn't have expected them to have them. As I said, I'VE never handed over my records to a dealer. I guess it was kinda pie eyed wishful thinking. While I'm typically not against the idea of buying from a dealer, it almost seems that in this case, for this car, I'm better off purchasing privately.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Abubaca
Advanced

...and as someone selling a similar type of car for similar amounts of money....I'm pretty good at spotting general care and upkeep. While someone with the motivation could always hide something, in general types "like us" don't put their heart and soul into a car, while at the same time treating it like garbage. Still....due dilligence.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:49 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If a seller kept his own records for maintenance and/or service, you could always ask for them as part of the sale. Some people keep records and receipts (I do!) but others do not. You can ask the seller if he would allow you to take the car to an independent reputable shop for a Used Vehicle Inspection (UVI) For about $150 or so, you will get a written report of the ovrall condition including what need quick attention and what things can wait.

If a Corvette that's for sale had been serviced/maintained at a Chevrolet dealership, the service department should have entered that information in a Vehicle Service History report. You should be able to get the Service Manager to print a copy for you. All they need is the VIN. IIRC, this report is available at any Chevy dealership; you don't have to go a specific dealer.

When I traded my 2008 Silverado for a 2017, I brought all of the records and receipts and gave them to the sales guy I was working with. He said the dealer wouldn't keep them and promptly tossed all of the stuff in the trash. Guess the idea was that he had no idea where the truck would wind up (used car lot or auction) and they didn't want anything kept in it.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:54 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

As an owner of well over 100 vehicles many of them used it's very rare to get any kinds of service records when you but it especially from a dealer. They hire "detailers" making close to minimum wage to clean and prep a vehicle for sale and anything left in the car is usually tossed. You may get some information if you are able to contact the previous owner. Personally I take all my personal information out of my vehicles when I trade them because I don't want to hear from the next owner.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Abubaca
Advanced

All these point make complete sense. ...and now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't have even posted the thread!! LOL -still I appreciate all the responses.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:23 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,147 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Unless you're buying from a specialty Corvette dealer, those records will go in the trash. Most cars are traded at another dealer, go to auction, and end up at whatever 2nd tier dealer.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:02 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

A Chevy dealer should be able to look up what has been done to the car by any other Chevy dealer. Not sure how long those online records are kept though. That's how a dealer can tell you whether any recalls, etc., have been done.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:16 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,211 Likes on 772 Posts

When I bought my C5 from a GM dealer, I was told the car was traded in for a new Cadillac. I asked the salesman if he would call the previous owner and asked him if I could talk to him personally. He said he would. According to the dealer, the owner did not wish to talk with me. Red flags went up. The inspection noted a leaky butt. Had an estimate for the repair and made my offer considering the repair cost. Nothing replaces an inspection of the car. BTW, almost 5 years of ownership of the '04 vert and no further repairs other than routine maintenance have occurred.

Last edited by rrwirsi; 04-22-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:36 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

As previously noted, when trading a car into a dealer the dealer or salesperson couldn't care less about vehicle maintenance records. All they are concerned with is does the car look good (paint), sound good, and drive normally. Keeping maintenance records is good for the owner while he/she owns the car but ends when it is sold or traded... Nothing, IMO, supplants a vehicle inspection before purchase...

Most dealers won't even give a buyer the previous owner's information...
Old 04-22-2019, 06:21 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

I was looking at a Porsche at a dealer last fall and inquired about the service records. They were happy to provide TSB, recall, and warranty work that was in the system but are prohibited by PCNA to provide previous owners service records. Ultimately I bought private and seller PDF’d up 40 pages of Porsche service history...his name, email, phone, bus phone, address, etc. were on the receipts. Personally I wouldn’t want this info on me propagated after I dump a car at a dealer.

Chevy VIS data should provide some of this stuff.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:05 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Look at it this way....the last C-5s were manufactured in 2004. That's 15 years ago. How many Chevy dealers would keep records for a car that old? Secondly, providing that info, which would possibly contain owner's names, could violate privacy laws.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:18 PM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I recently purchased a 2002. The owner I purchased it from (the second owner of the car) had the Chevy Dealer he had do all the work on the car since he bought it in 2012 print the records for me. I then went to the dealership where it was originally sold and they printed all the service records from when the car was purchased until 2012 when the original owner sold it to the second owner. So I have all the service records from new. Everything matched up with what info the Carfax had so I was confident that the car had been well maintained. Just my recent experience.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:33 PM
01pewtervert
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought my C5 about 2 1/2 years ago from a small used sports car dealer. He provided all the previous owner service records without me asking. I think he previously got the seller's permission. For me it was a great selling point. I have taken mine to a Chevy dealer once. I asked them to print out the service records, which they did. There were a few items not in the folder I received. Any Chevy dealer can do it. I'm not sure they are all willing to however.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you expect a dealer to have kept previous owner's maintenance records?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you expect a dealer to have kept previous owner's maintenance records?