Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the C5 (non Z06) market dead?

Old 04-30-2019, 09:11 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly
I wouldn't bother looking at the forums for pricing.
I was talking about looking at deals talked about in this section not what people are asking in for sale section. People are posting all the time about the deals they found....

His price is too high. There are plenty of these cars out there and the price is closer to $10k than $20k
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-02-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:19 PM
Kelly.s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2001 red vert . It’s my track car and fun driver. I want to upgrade to a z06 c6. I don’t intend to sell this one but it would be nice if c6 prices dropped someday. Do you think I’ll need to wait another 10 years?
Old 04-30-2019, 09:21 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
I was talking about looking at deals talked about in this section not what people are asking in for sale section. People are posting all the time about the deals they found....

His price is too high. There are plenty of these cars out there and the price is closer to $10k than $20k
I was generalizing about forums, not aimed at any specific person and/or comment. It has been my experience that whenever someone asks for pricing recommendations in a forum you get a crowd of people saying I wouldn't pay more than $xx for whatever the item is with a figure that's a solid 50-75% of actual retail value with the sense of elitism that comes with it. I've seen that in various channels that no C5 is worth more than $11,000 and anything that isn't mint isn't worth more than $8,500 etc etc (I'm exaggerating a bit here to get my point across).

You can get tremendous deals on the forums, but you can get a lot more money in the open market. Whenever I've sold car parts, I've had better luck selling on the CL / FB channels than the forums and gotten significantly more money for the items because of the above mentioned attitude. It's not meant to call out any particular member, it's just what I've seen based upon my experience buying and selling.
USAZR1 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Sounds like a nice car. Price is a little steep. Most used Corvettes I see for sale are priced too high.

Some of the big volume dealers are selling new base C7s with a good discount, in the high 40's. And yet I routinely see people asking low and mid 40's for their 3-4 year old cars.
IMO, once the C8 is on the showroom floor, most used base C7s will be worth high 20's-low 30'. That puts base C6s in the mid teens - low 20's. Which puts C5s in the low teens.
I paid 16.5 for mine. Bought with 45k, it has about 95k now. I think I'd be lucky to get 12k for it now. Realistically, I'd expect more like 10k. IMO, your car is probably worth around 15k.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:29 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

C8's are on their way soon. C7 lots are overflowing and big discounts are available on new ones. As a result C6's and C5's value is suffering. As usual it's all about supply and demand. Lots of C5's available and limited buyer interest since these cars are old. I've got friends with old street rods, cars from the 1940's. Young folks have no interest in that stuff, demand is down so the resale value suffers. Z06 cars are special and have extra value mostly for the people who own them today, not so much buyers with a limited budget but when you get in C6 money they don't seem so attractive (unless you own one now). C1 and C2 were all verts. Many C3 cars were verts. They stopped making then for a while in the C4 years but demand brought them back. The C5 chassis was designed for a vert. They cost more to buy and still have a higher book price than the base coupe. They still make them because people want that feature in a sports car. Having owned eight Corvettes only one was automatic and I wouldn't have another one again ever. Be patient and the right buyer will appear and offer the right price likely in line with the NADA book retail.

Last edited by DDaaryl; 04-30-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 PM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
I have my '04 Vert, 6sp, 35k miles up for sale for almost 2 weeks now and not one single inquiry....nothing....only emails suggesting I purchase a vehicle report from them. No body damage or repairs, only a few mods; C5 Z06 Ti mufflers, Borla X-midpipe, catch can, Blackwing CAI, drilled rotors, C6 Z06 shocks, C6 Z06 shifter....no mods to engine....Sprial Grey Metallic, black interior....everything works except for one TPMS sensor. Price is listed at $18.5k
Is it the color? The Vert being a 6sp? The price? Am I only going to sell at under $15k?....under $10k....????

Just wondering what opinions are of the C5 resale market in your area.

Thanks
You can get a pretty good idea on what the market is by going to CarGuru and looking for comparable vehicles. Here, in the Chicago suburbs I see asking prices for an '04 convertible with around your mileage being around $20,000. Cars with around 60,000 miles priced at around your asking price. Those prices being considered "fair." The specialty dealership where I bought my '01 manual Corvette convertible has an '04 with 26,400 miles on it and they are asking $24,988.

Your market could be very different, but you did ask about the market in our areas. As for your car, a silver and black manual (sorry, I am biased, my car is a quicksilver and black manual); I for one think your car has a great combination. Silver has long been and continues to be among the most popular colors, convertibles are generally considered desirable and many folks would not own a Corvette without a clutch. Your '04 generally considered to be among the best years.

I don't think the market is flat (at least not in my area). You just need to be patient and be prepared to wait for the right buyer. Some buyers will love the modifications; others might be a bit put off by them; so you may be limiting your market a bit there. But for sure, it would be worth getting the TPMS sensor addressed.
rjwvetttt (05-01-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Lots of opinions.....and that is what I was asking for and got!!
Old 04-30-2019, 09:36 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

I was generalizing about forums, not aimed at any specific person and/or comment. It has been my experience that whenever someone asks for pricing recommendations in a forum you get a crowd of people saying I wouldn't pay more than $xx for whatever the item is with a figure that's a solid 50-75% of actual retail value with the sense of elitism that comes with it. I've seen that in various channels that no C5 is worth more than $11,000 and anything that isn't mint isn't worth more than $8,500 etc etc (I'm exaggerating a bit here to get my point across).

You can get tremendous deals on the forums, but you can get a lot more money in the open market. Whenever I've sold car parts, I've had better luck selling on the CL / FB channels than the forums and gotten significantly more money for the items because of the above mentioned attitude. It's not meant to call out any particular member, it's just what I've seen based upon my experience buying and selling.

I think his his price is high, that’s all, here is a link to a guy posting about a low mile C5 vert way under $15k and there have been many other “new owner” threads posting prices just like this....https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nvertible.html

Last edited by Forcedvert; 04-30-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Just put the trolls on ignore, it's what I do. I'm not convinced they even own a Corvette, even if they claim to.

To answer your question, I wouldn't bother looking at the forums for pricing. The reason I say that is simply that you will have two extremes. The first extreme is that their car is worth 10k more than market because it's got single digit mileage etc. The other side is the type that thinks no C5 is worth more than 6K and they're the real life equivalent of these reality TV deal guy and will get a 20K car for 5K or something otherwise.

As summer approaches, value will go up. I think as has been said getting the car out and in front of people will help. It's easy to be objective online, but if you've got someone in front of your car at a show or something, the draw will be stronger.

I think you're ultimately right. The fact the car in question is a 6MT definitely helps the price, but the convertible hurts it. I'd argue that a 6MT Targa can be lumped in there (desirable configuration), but you are right the "performance buy" cars are going to start to appreciate. You're seeing it with the JDM halo cars of the 90's (Supra anyone) also with even the non-aircooled P cars now.
Exactly what I did. Nothing good comes out of interacting with an ignorant person that thinks they are smarter and better than everyone else, especially when they wouldn't hesitate to stoop to insults. What is that saying about arguing with stupid people, something about bringing you down to their level and beating you with experience.

@ OP there are a lot of things that can affect pricing, including what season it is, how the economy is doing, and so on. Take a look on your local craigslist and see what similar Corvettes are asking for, and then see how long they remain on Craigslist. You might see a couple of high priced ones and think you're justified selling yours high, but in reality they aren't moving or getting offers, just like yours. It's a little trickier with Craigslist now because I think they just shortened ad length from 30 days to 7 or 10 days for cars.
MikeyMcFly (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:47 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

I think his his price is high, that’s all, here is a link to a guy posting about a low mile C5 vert way undear $15k and there have been many other “new owner” threads posting prices just like this....https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nvertible.html
I do not understand why you think I'm singling out your opinion, I'm not. This is now the second time I am explaining this to you. Again, this has zero relevance to your opinion. In fact, I have not made a single comment on what I think the actual car posted should be priced it.

Any comment I have posted in this thread is focused on my opinion of not using forums as a guideline for real world pricing as what people on forums state they will pay is typically less, if not significantly less than what you can get in the outside world. It's a data point, but not one that is a hard and fast rule.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,080 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Lots of opinions.....and that is what I was asking for and got!!
Personally, I don't think your price is way out of line, for that car. It has low mileage, 6spd, convertible, and Spiral Gray Metallic is a desirable color to many. Its mods are tasteful and nothing radical.
Is it posted here in the C5 classifieds? I didn't see it.
El original (05-01-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

I do not understand why you think I'm singling out your opinion, I'm not. This is now the second time I am explaining this to you. Again, this has zero relevance to your opinion. In fact, I have not made a single comment on what I think the actual car posted should be priced it.

Any comment I have posted in this thread is focused on my opinion of not using forums as a guideline for real world pricing as what people on forums state they will pay is typically less, if not significantly less than what you can get in the outside world. It's a data point, but not one that is a hard and fast rule.

Its all good! just conversation, I was pointing out and posted a thread that’s supports what I was talking about. I happen to agree that people have opinions all over the place on these forums about prices, I frankly can’t believe how much car you can get for pennies on the dollar if someone wanted a modded car.

Ps, I hope op gets what he wants for his car no matter what that is
Old 04-30-2019, 10:33 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Its all good! just conversation, I was pointing out and posted a thread that’s supports what I was talking about. I happen to agree that people have opinions all over the place on these forums about prices, I frankly can’t believe how much car you can get for pennies on the dollar if someone wanted a modded car.

Ps, I hope op gets what he wants for his car no matter what that is
Agreed, all good. :thumbsup:

There are fantastic deals to be had out there (we've all gotten them from time to time). It's also fascinating to see how different pricing is in various regions and various sources. What's a great deal in one area of the country is a terrible deal in other areas. I haven't looked too hard in my area, but it seems like the spread on these cars can be huge. Sometimes it's simply a matter of finding the right buyer for your specific car (or conversely waiting for the right car for you). What might be overpriced to one person might be just right to another, if what you ultimately want is a rarer combo.

That being said, if you're willing purchase a modified car, you are right, the modifications are typically pennies on the dollar. It's the reason I would never sell a car with all the modifications still in place.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:10 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 244 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
C8's are on their way soon. C7 lots are overflowing and big discounts are available on new ones. As a result C6's and C5's value is suffering. As usual it's all about supply and demand. Lots of C5's available and limited buyer interest since these cars are old. I've got friends with old street rods, cars from the 1940's. Young folks have no interest in that stuff, demand is down so the resale value suffers. Z06 cars are special and have extra value mostly for the people who own them today, not so much buyers with a limited budget but when you get in C6 money they don't seem so attractive (unless you own one now). C1 and C2 were all verts. Many C3 cars were verts. They stopped making then for a while in the C4 years but demand brought them back. The C5 chassis was designed for a vert. They cost more to buy and still have a higher book price than the base coupe. They still make them because people want that feature in a sports car. Having owned eight Corvettes only one was automatic and I wouldn't have another one again ever. Be patient and the right buyer will appear and offer the right price likely in line with the NADA book retail.
the C-1s were in fact all convertibles , C2s were offered in both convertibles and coupes, C3s were also offered in both, but 1975 was the last year for convertibles, coupes only,
just adding facts from quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 PM
run1fsr
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Trade values are simple to determine via internet, and trade is what others are willing to pay for a non-necessity. I took what I thought was a loss on a very desirable Harley-Davidson earlier this year, but I was ready to sell it and move on so that’s what I did. My experience has been that everyone wants what you have until you go to sell it. Regarding your vehicle, top goes down and the price goes up. I don’t think your car being a convertible is the reason it has not sold … check the trade value.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 05-03-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Removed politics from post.
rjwvetttt (05-01-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:26 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Some real political BS being tossed around on this thread. Tempted to comment further on that but I will hold back. Fact is that politics have nothing to do with the guy that has a few $$$ saved to buy a used sports car.

Trade values are simple to determine via internet, and trade is what others are willing to pay for a non-necessity. I took what I thought was a loss on a very desirable Harley-Davidson earlier this year, but I was ready to sell it and move on so that’s what I did. My experience has been that everyone wants what you have until you go to sell it. Regarding your vehicle, top goes down and the price goes up. I don’t think your car being a convertible is the reason it has not sold … check the trade value.
Really only one person tossing around BS who should be on everyone's ignore lists.

But as others have said, a lot of things happening right now that would discourage potential used C5 buyers. Things might rebound after the release of C8 and C7 incentives end.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tsumi:
calvins (05-03-2019), rjwvetttt (05-01-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:32 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

$18500 is too high for most people for that car. It's a convertible and a base model. Upgrades add very little in value. Low miles is nice but low price is nicer.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the C5 (non Z06) market dead?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:15 AM
briank17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I hated to sell my 2004 6speed Coupe with 80k on the odometer but I had to have a 2013 GS. I started the price at 12.5K and had 2 guys fighting for the car. Sold it for 13K.

I felt like I gave it away but if you want to sell quickly, Price lower than you think its worth. If you can wait for the perfect buyer, maybe 6 months yours will sell for close to what your asking. Good luck with the sell.

caliphotography 2778731
Old 05-01-2019, 01:32 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
i prefer the C5, had a C5vert C6 and C7 and now a C5. how cares about all the gimmicks and electronic crap. more things to go wrong,
Agreed, my wife and I just bought a C7 for her, 2LT, Z51, and 7m. I drove it once and haven't driven it since. Don't care for it and don't like it. My wife on the other hand absolutely loves it. I'll stick to my C5Z.
USAZR1 (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 06:27 AM
Kiddbats
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I just bought my first vette, a c5 ,50th anniversary 6 speed convertible love love love it I'm 48 if that means anything
MsEllie (05-03-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the C5 (non Z06) market dead?