Sponsored by:

Best handling chassis, c5 vs c6 vs c7

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 11:12 AM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Best handling chassis, c5 vs c6 vs c7

Which of these front engine rwd cars do not require suspension work and have a great chassis right off the bat?
I know I might be posting in a biased section, but I had a coworker with a c5 and would always talk about how it was better than a c6.
I also read about how the c7 isnt as good as the previous gens, but this may have to do with being over powered.

For anyone that has had all 3 generations, which in your opinion had the best handling chassis? Also, which require the least suspension tweaking? How about unlimited budget on handling, which would be superior?
Lol, sorry slow day at work, and it just started
Old 05-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Unlimited budget?? The lightest stiffest car wins. Not sure how the generations stack up against one another, but the c7 is definitely the porkiest of the bunch. C6 might actually be a winner there.

Best handling from the factory? As far as laptimes go, c7 again no doubt. The electronics and magnetic suspension win that game.

Last edited by Jackie N; 05-06-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:32 AM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I have no personal experience with all three, but I do know some of the technical differences.

All three cars are similar in basic concept. The C6 was designed with greater suspension travel than the C5 and has a longer wheelbase. The C7 (I believe) has a slightly longer wheelbase than the C6, has a stiffer chassis, and an E-Diff. It also allows the adjustment of the rear caster angle, which (I believe) allows better control of rear toe.

"Best handling" can be a misnomer. A car that handles well in transitions may not have as much performance in steady state corners. Thus a stock C5 Z06 can challenge a C6 Z06 on a autocross. A stock C6 Z06 can give a C6 ZR1 fits on a tight track. On street tires all three chassis can be a weapon. Frankly, so can a C4. Unlimited budget with just adding parts I'd say a C5 or C6 would be the fastest car as they are well understood at this point and have a large aftermarket. If you want to develop and fabricate yourself, probably a C7 as it is has the best base, as it should being the newest car. But eventually, with a unlimited budget, how much on the car can you change and still call it the same car. With a unlimited budget, may as well buy an F1 car, slap the cross flags on the nose, and call it a "Corvette."

Last edited by Clairvoyantwolf; 05-06-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 AM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent
Which of these front engine rwd cars do not require suspension work and have a great chassis right off the bat?
I know I might be posting in a biased section, but I had a coworker with a c5 and would always talk about how it was better than a c6.
I also read about how the c7 isnt as good as the previous gens, but this may have to do with being over powered.

For anyone that has had all 3 generations, which in your opinion had the best handling chassis? Also, which require the least suspension tweaking? How about unlimited budget on handling, which would be superior?
Lol, sorry slow day at work, and it just started
C5 and C6 are the exact same chassis except the C6Z which was aluminum and had different rear upper lower control arm mount design. There was only design changes to the front sub frame and arms, not geometry changes. The rear sub frame was changed for the longer 6 speed auto trans. The rear lower control arms were the only difference and they moved the wheel back about 1.2".

Budget you might be better off with a C5 as it was lighter than the C6 and you could get to or better than C7 performance levels. At that point though with an unlimited budget start with a C7 and up grade that and I doubt a C5 or C6 could touch it.

There used to be video on here somewhere of a C5Z walking away from a C6 at the track.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:47 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

I've owned / own a C5 Z06, C6 Z06 and C7 Grand Sport. I've had all three on the track, all in 100% stock form. Without a doubt, the C7 Grand Sport wins that award. The car is amazingly stable and planted. It has a wonderful suspension set up and the 5 advanced PTM modes allows it to do incredible things at amazing speeds. No surprise really. The car has benefited from advancements in technologies across the design and engineering spectrum. It would be absurd to think that with all the $$ GM spent in development of the latest chassis' that they would not be able to make improvements in all aspects of handling and capabilities. Having said that, I kept the C5 Z06 for a host of personal reasons.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:23 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

C7 GS, like said above.

They can fit huge tires, and have a modern suspension with modern electronics. They're a bit heavy compared to a C5 sure, but they make up for it in many ways.

A C5z can be competition, but only after a bunch of suspension work.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:20 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

I would sure hope after all the many years that a C7 handles better than the previous generations.
The following users liked this post:
Old School (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:51 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Well after searching for the weight, the C7 GS weighs around 34xxlbs. Compare that to the c5z, which is under 3100lbs, is part of the magic (besides suspension on the GS), the newer tires? I'm thinking upgrade the tires and brakes on the C5Z and you are close to the GS.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:52 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent
Compare that to the c5z, which is under 3100lbs, is part of the magic (besides suspension on the GS), the newer tires? I'm thinking upgrade the tires and brakes on the C5Z and you are close to the GS.
No. Not with just tires and brakes. There is much more to it than that. The C5Z is a fun car that really can be made to perform exceptionally well on the track. The C7 does that AND is a smooth comfortable GT car too, with all the amenities of a modern car, all in one platform.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:00 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I've built a few C5 road race cars and have a C7. The chassis are all basically the same design when you take them all apart. Stock for stock the C7 ha the longest wheelbase and the stiffest components. You don't have to do anything to a C7 to get it to live on track i.e. the bushings don't squish out, hubs don't fail, the OEM brakes are up to the task, and it has the requisite coolers. However, I can make a C5 just as fast, but I have to chance some parts out.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:11 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I'm currently under 3000 pounds with no significant or specific weight reduction. My car basically has C6Z big brakes, AR headers, 18 X11 square set up, Vararam intake and other basic mods, in the car is under 3000 pounds with a quarter tank of gas.

There is no question the C7 chassis is superior, but at the same time you do have to deal with additional mass, additional brake wear, additional tire wear, etc.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 05-06-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best handling chassis, c5 vs c6 vs c7

Quick Reply: Best handling chassis, c5 vs c6 vs c7