Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone recommend a good led style headlight that won't break the bank!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Meeegaaa_Tron
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend a good led style headlight that won't break the bank!?

Hey guys, im trying to find a good led style headlight for my 99 C5. Someday id like to do projectors or maybe one of those headlight conversion style kits, but as of right now ive spent all of my money on my A&A kit and just looking to get a good headlight so that I can see at night lol. Sometimes I'm actually scared to drive the car at night because I can barely see **** with these headlights. Just hoping someone has a part number or place I can get a good priced headlight that works well. Thanks guys!
Old 05-06-2019, 12:24 PM
galyon_j
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

When I first got my coupe (had her a month shy of two years now!) I had the same problem. I couldn't see worth a damn with the halogens, and, at the time, I didn't know anything about the cool toys that Radioflyer makes.

Anyway, I got these LED retrofits from Auxbeam*: 9006 (low beam), 9005 (high beam), and they've been on the car ever since. I'm pretty happy with them, especially for the price, and I'm not blinding anybody like a lot of LED/HID retrofits seem to do.

*Forum sponsors may offer something similar, but I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the catalogs of every forum sponsor, and I'm not gonna put that much effort into finding out.

Last edited by galyon_j; 05-06-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:02 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

You could go with 9011 and 9012s and modify the tabs so they will fit. The instructions on how to do that are on the forum somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 01:08 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Here it is. Post #10

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html
Edmund Iverson (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:17 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Meeegaaa_Tron
...but as of right now ive spent all of my money on my A&A kit and just looking to get a good headlight so that I can see at night lol...
The best cost effective solution is HIR bulbs. If you couple that with a Hi-4 harness (to keep the low beams ON when you switch ON the highs) the difference will be noticeable.

You can also upgrade the foglights and the results would be even better.
These plug-and-play bulbs These plug-and-play bulbs
from Beamtech are plenty bright and won't break the bank. Get the 800 series. They use heatsinks rather than fans (silent operation and no moving parts to fail). No need to deal with ballasts and less heat than HIDs.

Besides the 880 configuration, Beamtech offers them in 9005 and 9006 configurations as well but I haven't read any reviews based on installing these as headlamp bulbs in a C5.
chasboy (05-08-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:30 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

I recently replaced the halogens with HIR. The HIRs are noticeable brighter.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Led bulbs in a stock housing wont ever do it, since the reflectors in the stock housing are not designed for HD or led output..
Wont break the bank??? how much money is in the bank.
Real LED headlights are in the 1000 to 1500 dollar range. Radio flyer ( a forum vendor can get you the right thing.. ) suggestions for brighter lights in a bulb is just a waste of money, when put in a stock headlight assembly. Of course the hundreds of people who have done this will argue that they did not waste their money, but they did.
chasboy (05-08-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:54 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Led bulbs in a stock housing wont ever do it, since the reflectors in the stock housing are not designed for HD or led output..
Wont break the bank??? how much money is in the bank.
Real LED headlights are in the 1000 to 1500 dollar range. Radio flyer ( a forum vendor can get you the right thing.. ) suggestions for brighter lights in a bulb is just a waste of money, when put in a stock headlight assembly. Of course the hundreds of people who have done this will argue that they did not waste their money, but they did.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

Plenty of people do a plug and play led upgrade and get great results. If you’re hyper-technical, yes, there is some light scatter because of the stock housing, but it’s better than the horrible output of the stock bulbs. Some people worry about blinding other drivers on a 2 lane road, but in my experience, these are much less bright than newer cars light output. Full conversion kits are nice, but they are too costly and require complicated wiring. They aren’t plug and play as they say. These look like they are $50. I’m not sure how these results are a “waste of money.”

Last edited by STRMLNE; 05-06-2019 at 05:06 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (05-08-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 05:37 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Old 05-06-2019, 06:01 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
Old 05-06-2019, 06:26 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
Originally Posted by STRMLNE

Old 05-06-2019, 06:34 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

There's no reason to be "stuck" on LED particularly if price is a concern. The headlight control module requires a specific current draw to trigger the raise/lower signal and LED bulbs simply don't draw enough current to do this. (Load resistors are IMO a fire hazard) Quality HID kits on the other hand will draw the correct amount of power and when installed in a quality projector system will yield excellent performance results. That being said, lets break down the pricing options for you starting with the least expensive:

1) Radioflyer's LED Fog light upgrade:- $55
Can't beat this price with a stick. Out-shines the 35w HID equivalent and won't pop the fuse or create heat issues like 55w HID kits in the tiny fog light housings. This is an excellent and very inexpensive way to improve your night-time vision:

2) Bi-xenon ACA headlights - $650
Since 2012, out Bi-xenon version of these sexy headlight have been providing phenomenal output for both low and high beam functions. Never worry about out-driving your headlights again.

3) Stealth Light Cannon Version 3.1 $1250
Using True Bi-LED projectors, these lights have the most focused hot-spot of all our headlights allowing you to see further than any other system we offer.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:54 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

$650 is steep. Plus it’s complicated to install. You guys need to engineer a true plug and play headlight bulb for stock housings.

Last edited by STRMLNE; 05-06-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

$650 is steep. Plus it’s complicated to install. You guys need to engineer a true plug and play headlight bulb for stock housings.
It's the stock housing that IS the problem. Better light bulbs will not fix it.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:19 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Beer:30
It's the stock housing that IS the problem. Better light bulbs will not fix it.
Nah. Stock housing causes some scatter but if someone could come up with a plug and play that doesn’t affect the up and down like radio flyer said, they would be sold out. Very few want to spend $650 and then have a super complicated install and running new wiring harnesses up to the battery and fuse box/ground. A majority of owners buy the led and just deal with the electrical issue as per the video above. Here’s a few more:

Last edited by STRMLNE; 05-06-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Black03vert
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a pair of 9005 and 9006 from JDM Astar. I have had really good luck with them all around

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone recommend a good led style headlight that won't break the bank!?

Old 05-06-2019, 07:36 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

HIR's, i.e. 9011's and 9012's are higher output than the stock 9005/6 combo. Used them for years on another car - a definite improvement. But, the C5 reflectors are a poor design and tend to splash light around even with stock bulbs, so you really do not want anything too bright in there. As GCG said, HIR's with an all 4 on harness on Hi-Beam makes a noticeable difference; then add in Radio Flyer's fogs to top up the low beams and you will be in much better shape than stock. And not too much out of pocket.

I got my HIR bulbs from Candlepower in Rockville, MD. Also got my high power backup light bulbs from them as well. Combined with the Adjure unit, backing up at night is no a longer hit or miss operation.

Last edited by jackthelad; 05-06-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Plenty of people do a plug and play led upgrade and get great results. If you’re hyper-technical, yes, there is some light scatter because of the stock housing, but it’s better than the horrible output of the stock bulbs. Some people worry about blinding other drivers on a 2 lane road, but in my experience, these are much less bright than newer cars light output. Full conversion kits are nice, but they are too costly and require complicated wiring. They aren’t plug and play as they say. These look like they are $50. I’m not sure how these results are a “waste of money.”

https://youtu.be/4osgxsQJ_sE
Nah. Stock housing causes some scatter but if someone could come up with a plug and play that doesn’t affect the up and down like radio flyer said, they would be sold out. Very few want to spend $650 and then have a super complicated install and running new wiring harnesses up to the battery and fuse box/ground. A majority of owners buy the led and just deal with the electrical issue as per the video above. Here’s a few more:

https://youtu.be/PvrVAdbytdg

https://youtu.be/ftSbQSUWGTU
Let's get some facts straight here. ACA housings cost $300-350. A good projector kit starts at $150. Custom made adapter brackets are $50+. At $500-550 in materials cost alone, Radioflyer is not price gouging you at $650. That is simply the state of affairs in getting good lighting in our C5 Corvettes. There will be no cheaper solution available for true HID/LED projectors into the headlights of our cars. Other cars can be retrofitted cheaper if you do it yourself, but now you're talking about baking the headlights to pry the lens apart, and so on.

Yes, some new cars have scatter due to poor optics from their lights. And they are rightfully getting flack for it. However, that does not excuse others in putting scattering LEDs into their headlights. As they say, two wrongs do not make a right. In fact, the fact that your headlights appear brighter from standing in front is absolutely an indication of bad light scatter. On my Corvette, the brightness of my headlights from a standing viewpoint is in fact less than stock, and my switchbacks actually appear brighter than the headlights.

Additionally, people are easily tricked by the difference between light color and light output. Things that are whiter will seem brighter, but with the same amount of light output, a person will not actually be able to see more. As most LEDs are in the 6500k+ range, people are actually able to see less with the same light output because the eye is not able to discern blue detail as well as yellow detail.
FYRARMS (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend a good led style headlight that won't break the bank!?