Sponsored by:

I'm needing repairs and wanted a reality check

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:32 PM
JLT73
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'm needing repairs and wanted a reality check

1997 Auto coupe. I have 136,800 miles. It runs great and shifts very good as well.

Well, I have some issues that I was looking to get taken care of. I'm not very mechanically inclined. I can do minor things, but overall never had anyone with ability to teach me. I'm willing to try things, but I am worried about messing critical parts up.

The problems:
1. The fuel pump behind the driver side whines fairly loud.
2. When I hit a bump with the passenger front tire, the service abs and traction control system messages come up.
3. It is leaking brake fluid from the passenger front caliper.
4. exhaust system needs replaced (this was already on my list to get done shortly)

The local chevy dealership gave me the following quotes:
Replace left fuel pump - $1286
Replace front passenger side wheel hub - $730
Front brake caliper replacement and brake fluid service - $945

Do these prices seem in line with what I should expect to pay for parts and labor?
Old 05-07-2019, 02:23 PM
ncali
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Do these prices seem in line with what I should expect to pay for parts and labor?

If you go to a dealership those prices are no doubt what they will charge. I cant seem to get that much money out of my wallet to pay for repairs.
I got a set of repair manuals (3 books) and by reading and asking questions here I have done well at doing my own repairs
Old 05-07-2019, 02:30 PM
BodymanBob
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m certain you can do better on the prices you’ve already been quoted by doing a little research and finding a reputable independent repair facility. For the last 40 years I’ve worked as Bodyman at all types of establishments. Privately owned body shops and at those owned and run by dealerships. In my experience a dealership is by far the most expensive option for car repair, they have a nickname “Stealerships” for a reason. They tend to be staffed with younger mechanic’s and with only one or two truly qualified experts. With one of the newer Corvettes it might be necessary to go to them to maintain your warranty, but not a C5. A C5 Corvette is not new or challenging technology, it’s a small block Chevy and there are many qualified mechanics who can work on them. Contact the nearest Corvette club or any of the GM brand clubs in your area and ask who they recommend. I’m certain those prices are at least 20% too high so please do yourself a favor and find a good independent mechanic. Again ask those who you see driving vettes who they use. Research, Research
The following 3 users liked this post by BodymanBob:
ArmchairArchitect (05-10-2019), CorvetteBrent (06-03-2019), El original (06-02-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 03:30 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Contact your nearest Corvette club, join, and ask advice. You might have someone who might fix the problems right there.
The following 2 users liked this post by chasboy:
CorvetteBrent (06-03-2019), El original (06-02-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Josephu
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

Caliper replacement for $945 is rediculos. Like said above, contact your local Corvette club and ....or join ... Someone will help you out. If you have the part, and a speed bleeder, that can be knocked out in an hour. Well,, if you bring the pizza,, maybe 2.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josephu:
Old 05-07-2019, 03:52 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

My fuel pump has been loud for 6 years and tons of miles, never given me issue. It still has perfect pressure. Check your fuel pressure before replacing a pump just because it’s noisy. These pumps simply are louder than a corolla, and th cabin is tighter too.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (06-03-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Abubaca
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

dbgoodwin- What up Greensboro!

The only thing that would really concern me would be that caliper. With the tools out of the drawer and the wheels off, and if you've done it before, you can swap calipers in only a few minutes. You really wanna see where it's leaking from though. Might be the line. That's not hard to replace either. Now I get you haven't done this before, but with a little research, the info is out there. $1000, wow! That's a lot.

Edit - I'm sure if you start a dedicated tech thread on swapping calipers, many people can help you out, -if that's something you're interested in. Maybe you'd just rather not tackle it, and that's fine too.

If you were local, I'd do it for pizza and beer for sure! ...I'm sure someone local can help you out. Worst case, as has been mentioned, local repair shop.

Last edited by Abubaca; 05-07-2019 at 04:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Abubaca:
Old 05-07-2019, 04:22 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You would be better off finding a local indy shop to perform those repairs., I would not perform brake repairs (with your mechanical experience) unless you had a more experienced person overseeing the repair
Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Abubaca
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would not perform brake repairs (with your mechanical experience) unless you had a more experienced person overseeing the repair
I had a response to this typed out.......but considering the context of the statement, and this thread......I will agree with this. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:41 PM
OneFast1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a breakdown of the parts and labor hours, I would suggest you go shopping. You might get better quotes from other shops in your area. I agree that checking with a local Corvette club would be worth your time. If you do decide to take it to the dealership, be prepared for a phone call listing all additional repairs that need to be done, replacing one caliper may open the doors to entire brake overhaul.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:46 PM
djmlax89
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Those prices are in line with what I would expect out of a dealership, and are exactly why I would avoid a dealership for those repairs. The C5 Corvette is honestly a very easy vehicle to work on - especially the brakes. And while you have the PF brakes off replacing the caliper, the wheel hub is 3 bolts and an electrical connector on the backside of the spindle. I would check with a local Corvette club or a trusted local mechanic. There's nothing there that requires any specialized expertise or tools from a dealership, just need someone that will respect your car and do the job right. The hardest part is lifting it.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump, that whine is common on the 1997. The redesigned pump is supposed to be quieter, but I personally haven't found it worth the trouble of replacing (my 97 has been whining away for 6 years now). I found the better "fix" is a louder exhaust. I would absolutely not pay $1200 to replace it either way - you don't have to drop the tank for the pre-2003 cars, the pump is on the back of the tank behind the DR wheel.

Edit: As mentioned above, may be a good idea to grab a brake line along with the caliper, for $12 or so it's cheap insurance against added downtime if that turns out to be the culprit.

Last edited by djmlax89; 05-07-2019 at 06:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by djmlax89:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:31 AM
JLT73
Intermediate

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Being a relatively newer Corvette owner I didn't even know/think about a corvette club. There appears to be a couple in my immediate area.

I will probably end up taking it to a trusted mechanic and see what they quote. I'm just not confident enough to mess with brakes and wheels hubs. If it were putting a CAI on I'd be all over it.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 659 Likes on 528 Posts

Where is your area? You probably have a mechanically inclined friend you just haven’t met yet.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM
JLT73
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redzg
Where is your area? You probably have a mechanically inclined friend you just haven’t met yet.
I live just north of Indianapolis
Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I hate to say/write this but the simple answer is.....spend "some" money on tools AND, go to YouTube and follow directions. Most fixes are step by step and complete. You can't own an older Vette and take everything to the dealership. Everything you listed is very doable by yourself. YouTube is your friend.
The following 2 users liked this post by runner140*:
Fcar 98 (05-10-2019), Robrote (05-14-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:23 AM
JLT73
Intermediate

Originally Posted by runner140*
I hate to say/write this but the simple answer is.....spend "some" money on tools AND, go to YouTube and follow directions. Most fixes are step by step and complete. You can't own an older Vette and take everything to the dealership. Everything you listed is very doable by yourself. YouTube is your friend.
I agree. Youtube is amazing with all the step by step videos. I have done/learned a ton from them. If it were winter and I wasn't able to drive it around, I'd be more inclined to make that attempt. I'm just worried that I'll mess it up and then have not as much fun this summer.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:30 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 659 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by JLT73
I'm just north of Indianapolis
While that's outside my range (from Orlando) I wouldn't be surprised if there is somebody closer willing to lend a hand. The suggestions of tool acquisition and learning are good, but there isn't anything quite as good as having experienced hands to show the way, rather than trying to copy what someone is doing on the ipad.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm needing repairs and wanted a reality check

Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 AM
JLT73
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redzg
While that's outside my range (from Orlando) I wouldn't be surprised if there is somebody closer willing to lend a hand. The suggestions of tool acquisition and learning are good, but there isn't anything quite as good as having experienced hands to show the way, rather than trying to copy what someone is doing on the ipad.
Agreed. My father in law is very mechanically inclined. Unfortunately he lives 3 hours away and doesn't have much time off work. But either way, he said he will learn me on these items and anything else I need. Obviously it will be here and there, but I am happy he is willing to teach me,.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Jim_ZO6
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C5 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

I'm just north of Indianapolis
I know someone in Whitestown who could do all that work. PM me if you want me to ask if him if he wants a side job.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Replace front passenger side wheel hub - $730
Front brake caliper replacement and brake fluid service - $945
Geez I'm in the wrong business...

Quick Reply: I'm needing repairs and wanted a reality check