Sponsored by:

Best iPod Carplay for C5 vert?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:33 AM
J. Kent
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Best iPod Carplay for C5 vert?

I'd like to put a new radio in my '03 vert. My CD changer died so I want to use an iPod for music and bluetooth for the phone would be nice. I've looked through several threads and here are some thoughts and questions:
  1. I want to use my iPhone and iPod. All the music is on the iPod.
  2. Looks like Apple Carplay would be the best choice. Thoughts on that?
  3. I ruled out the Double DIN models because the Metra bezel is ugly, the Vette Nuts bezel is too damn expensive and I've read here that DD screens don't work well in verts because of glare and wash-out. Thoughts?
  4. That leaves single DIN units with retractable touch screens.
  5. Crutchfield has Jensen and Pioneer units that will fit my car. The angle of tilt is not adjustable on any of them. Crutchfield seems like the best source because of their installation kits and customer support. I'm keeping the stock speakers and antenna.
So do I go with the Jensen VX4014 and just hope I can read the screen, or is a touch screen a lost cause in a vert? I don't drive this car with the top up. If the weather's bad I take the Subaru.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by J. Kent; 05-09-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:46 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

IPOD??? Ipod is dead, just get an Iphone and Bluetooth it.

Why wouldn't you want to go wireless?
The following 2 users liked this post by My Vette Life:
JimHarris4 (06-15-2019), Nabcoinc (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 05:57 AM
TheUCM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

For your consideration, I present to you the Pioneer SPH-10BT
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ivers/SPH-10BT

Old 05-09-2019, 10:13 AM
J. Kent
Instructor

Thanks UCM. That looks like a good, economical option. Not really Apple Carplay and no CD player so I'm going to keep looking.
Still wondering how 'vert owners are doing with flip-out screens. Do they get totally washed out?

MVL: Not really helpful. I have most of my music library on an iPod. My old iPhone won't hold all that music and I have no desire to buy a new phone. My phone is just for phone calls and, if I'm away from home, email. I don't text. I don't have apps. I usually don't even carry the phone.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 PM
ismithlj
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by My Vette Life
IPOD??? Ipod is dead, just get an Iphone and Bluetooth it.

Why wouldn't you want to go wireless?
Whats your beef with iPods? I’ve got an iPod touch which is basically an iPhone without the phone, it has 128gb storage and didn’t require a contract or that I sell a kidney to buy it.
The following users liked this post:
t1fudd (05-10-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ismithlj
Whats your beef with iPods? I’ve got an iPod touch which is basically an iPhone without the phone, it has 128gb storage and didn’t require a contract or that I sell a kidney to buy it.
All in one.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM
J. Kent
Instructor

Back to my original question:
Will a single DIN radio with a non-adjustable screen work in a vert or will it be totally washed out and useless?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

What unit are you considering, OP? Different units may work better or worse even if they share a configuration.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:19 PM
J. Kent
Instructor

Originally Posted by gimp
What unit are you considering, OP? Different units may work better or worse even if they share a configuration.
Jensen VX4014

From my initial post:

Crutchfield has Jensen and Pioneer units that will fit my car. The angle of tilt is not adjustable on any of them. Crutchfield seems like the best source because of their installation kits and customer support. I'm keeping the stock speakers and antenna.

Last edited by J. Kent; 06-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

I have a double din in a vert and i can see it just fine with the top down. IMO nothing modernizes the interior more. If only someone would make a replacement HVAC controller.
I have the metra bezel and while the texture match isn't perfect it doesn't bother me. I prefer the lack of doors over the cup holder and cubby at the bottom over the stock and vettenuts.
Android auto is awesome for music, maps, phone.
I have a sony head unit that looks and works great. I wanted one with a dial, not all touch.
My cable is hidden in the center console, which is where the phone stays while driving so no exposed wires or phone.
Don't forget an amp and sub in the trunk.
rjwvetttt (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 PM
J. Kent
Instructor

Thanks for the info on viewing. I don't think I want a double DIN but will take another look. I absolutely don't want an external amp or a sub.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:54 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

The local audio shop I went to modified my stock bezel and installed the new DD head unit with backup camera, bluetooth, gps and a flash drive port. The tech said they have been modifying C5 bezels for years. It looks great.
I have all my music on a flash drive. I use a flash drive in all my vehicles for music.
I download music to my computer run a volume freeware program that sets the volume on all the downloads the same and then put it on a flash drive.
I listen to nothing but the music my wife and I like. We can go for days and never hear the same song unless we want to.
Good luck!
JimHarris4 (06-15-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 AM
J. Kent
Instructor

Good point Grandpa. Maybe I'll check the local guy and see what he can do. I was planning to DIY to save money but it's worth looking into.
Time for a C-5: You really have me reconsidering the DD.
I thought I may have found a good alternative in the Alpine ILX-F259 but it doesn't have a CD player and I want to be able to play CDs.

Last edited by J. Kent; 06-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:51 AM
50thz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Kent
I'd like to put a new radio in my '03 vert. My CD changer died so I want to use an iPod for music and bluetooth for the phone would be nice. I've looked through several threads and here are some thoughts and questions:
  1. I want to use my iPhone and iPod. All the music is on the iPod.
  2. Looks like Apple Carplay would be the best choice. Thoughts on that?
  3. I ruled out the Double DIN models because the Metra bezel is ugly, the Vette Nuts bezel is too damn expensive and I've read here that DD screens don't work well in verts because of glare and wash-out. Thoughts?
  4. That leaves single DIN units with retractable touch screens.
  5. Crutchfield has Jensen and Pioneer units that will fit my car. The angle of tilt is not adjustable on any of them. Crutchfield seems like the best source because of their installation kits and customer support. I'm keeping the stock speakers and antenna.
So do I go with the Jensen VX4014 and just hope I can read the screen, or is a touch screen a lost cause in a vert? I don't drive this car with the top up. If the weather's bad I take the Subaru.
Thanks for any help.
If you have Apple, CarPlay is the only choice. If you intend on using an iPod, I am not sure any iPods are Carplay capable, at least the oldest ones aren't. Better research that first and make sure yours is compatible if you want true CarPlay. There are plenty of single DINs that will play music from your phone/ipod, but I've never seen a single DIN with CarPlay. If you go with a single DIN that has a retractable screen, it seems like you will have the same issues with glare as a double din, unless you get one that has adjustable screen, plus with the retractable screens you may be blocking your center air vent. Some Kenwoods, maybe others, have adjustable viewing angles electronically, but you said you didn't want a double DIN, so..... You might also shop Sonic Electronics, which has a big selection of equipment, helpful staff, and will cut deals on packages (personal experience). I ran a single DIN Alpine in my '03 Z06 for over a year till I finally committed to a double DIN, used the Metra kit and I like it. And of course, if you are changing only the head unit, you will need either the PAC or Axxess adapter/wiring harness. The Axxess keeps the RAP feature of the car (Retained Accessory Power), but it's not cheap. With either adapter, you will be adjusting for volume level matching to the OEM Bose amplifiers built into the car.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:08 AM
J. Kent
Instructor

Thanks 50thz06. Good points.
I'm quite sure my iPod Touch is Carplay compatible.
There are single DINs with Carplay such as the Jensen VX4014 but the pop-out screen does not have an adjustable angle and, as you noted it will block the air vents (not a huge deal).
I will check out Sonic, although my inclination is to go with Crutchfield because of their support before and after sales. And I'll also take Grandpa 1's advice and give the local shop a try.
I did not think I wanted the Metra kit because of things I'd read about fit and finish but you and others have said they are good (maybe they've improved) so I'll try to get over my prejudice. Part of my hesitation was stupid--I have one of those rings that slip over the cup holder lid so you can actually hold a cup and the Metra doesn't have the lid (like I said--stupid reason).
I do plan to replace only the head unit. The OEM Bose amps and speakers are good and car stereo can never be hi-fi so there is no reason to change amps and speakers IMHO.
I didn't quite get your last statement: "With either adapter, you will be adjusting for volume level matching to the OEM Bose amplifiers built into the car." Do you mean a one-time calibration sort of thing or do you mean you have to fiddle with the volume constantly?
Thanks.
-Kent
Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM
50thz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

It's a one-time calibration thing, so once you get everything wired, do the adjustments/level matching before you close it all up. Also I'd suggest starting the engine and check for engine noise/whine before final assembly in case you have to reground something or re-adjust levels.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:34 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

My C5 DD Kenwood with AppleCar Play works great with no additional glare than that I receive in my C7Z and the OEM screen.

Get notified of new replies

To Best iPod Carplay for C5 vert?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:48 PM
J. Kent
Instructor

Thank you all. I think I'll go with the Pio 2550 + backup cam and have it installed professionally. Will report back.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:53 AM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

I did a single din Alpine and have USB, Sirius, CD and play alll my music on a flash drive. By the way, I found Best Buy will install it free or for $39 so I bought mine there. But the look does not modernize the interior. I wish I did a DD. And without a sub, you will want more bass. I'm looking at DD options now so I can add a camera.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:32 AM
J. Kent
Instructor

I went to a semi-local shop and ordered the Pio 2500NEX double-DIN, a Rydeen backup camera, Metra bezel and associated installation parts. It'll all be installed next week. Total cost was higher than I'd hoped for but I just don't want to tear into the 'vette in my driveway again.

I may order some 3.5" coax drivers to replace the door twiddlers and install those. I drive with the top down 90% of the time so won't bother with the rear twiddlers--the folded top blocks them.

Will post pictures when it's done.
Dave in Pa (06-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Best iPod Carplay for C5 vert?