Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Corvette Blackout Kit Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Triplex07
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
Default C5 Corvette Blackout Kit Opinions?

I recently bought another Complete Blackout Kit for my car. I had one on it a few years back, but had to remove it for PA inspection. At that point I just never re-installed it. Now that the weather is getting nice I decided to buy another one. But.. For some odd reason I'm on the fence about installing it?? I really like the looks and its easy enough to install Minus the front driving/turn signal lights.. But not sure if I want to go through having reduced visibility to other drivers and the fact I could be pulled over for having it on. Keep in mind the last time I had the kit on I was never pulled over.. But always run the chance... I would just like some other opinions on this?? Thoughts?? etc.. Maybe help me to decide.. At this point it can go either way.. Thank you
Old 05-14-2019, 10:15 AM
galyon_j
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I love how a truly blacked out car looks, but I really hesitate to do it to my own car – I have the same concerns you do, honestly.

Distracted driving is enough of a problem that I'm just not comfortable doing anything to my car to make it harder for people to see me or my indicators. The thought of putting something on my brake or parking lamps, especially, just makes me feel a little queasy.

This is all pretty fresh in my mind. Yesterday, the highway I take to work turned into a junk yard because some fool in a Silverado wasn't paying attention and slammed into a row of stopped vehicles. Happened right as I got to the end of my entrance ramp.

Last edited by galyon_j; 05-14-2019 at 01:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 01:24 PM
t1fudd
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Never have understood why someone would cover the main safety features of a vehicle for the sake of looks. My wife and I have both been rear ended by people so busy on their phones that they didn't see our stopped vehicles. Why make it easier to be hit?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,225 Likes on 13,932 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I am not going to install something that would reduce the visibility of my car to other motorists.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Yea, that's a scary thought. It's already pretty scary driving here in Miami. Every single day I see accidents here. All I can say is when I brake, I usually look in my rear view just to make sure I see a brake response. Sometimes I even double tap to make sure they see me brake. It's unnerving to drive here knowing there's so many distracted idiots.
The following 2 users liked this post by turabo87:
Edmund Iverson (05-14-2019), t1fudd (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:22 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by t1fudd
Never have understood why someone would cover the main safety features of a vehicle for the sake of looks. My wife and I have both been rear ended by people so busy on their phones that they didn't see our stopped vehicles. Why make it easier to be hit?
Not sure what you mean...

When I apply the brakes, I might blind you.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Triplex07
Intermediate

Mine are the same way. Can see lights at night. I was thinking more for daytime driving. Wonder how much visibility is lost??
Old 05-14-2019, 02:36 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Triplex07
Mine are the same way. Can see lights at night. I was thinking more for daytime driving. Wonder how much visibility is lost??
During the day, my lights are much brighter than the OEM setup. Probably twice as bright. I run LED replacement bulbs. Video capture photo, but this was taken as the sun was setting, just to give you an idea. Looks darker outside than it really was. Regardless, my lights are very bright. The modern LED bulbs make all the difference.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've actually been considering the sequential turn signal light harness, even though it's a "Mustang Thing"; when I had them on my Mustang, people noticed them.
Both of my sons were each rear-ended by distracted drivers, and with that in mind, I don't want to give the offenders any reason to argue that they couldn't see the brake lights. I know the lights might be brighter with LED and tinted lenses, but my local LEO's may think it's easier to blame my "unapproved" light set up. Just playing it safe in my little corner of the world, but to each their own!
FYRARMS, Those tinted covers do look really cool, by the way!
Old 05-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Triplex07
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
During the day, my lights are much brighter than the OEM setup. Probably twice as bright. I run LED replacement bulbs. Video capture photo, but this was taken as the sun was setting, just to give you an idea. Looks darker outside than it really was. Regardless, my lights are very bright. The modern LED bulbs make all the difference.

Are they just replacement bulbs (plug and play)or did u have to add a resistor- different harness ets?
Old 05-14-2019, 03:15 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,211 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I am not going to install something that would reduce the visibility of my car to other motorists.
After almost 2 rear collisions by drivers not noticing I was stopped with stock lenses, I decided to try the pulse center rear light. I do not know if it is helping but so far, no more squalling breaks behind me.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:16 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Edmund Iverson
IFYRARMS, Those tinted covers do look really cool, by the way!
Thanks, man. To be fair, I don't use covers. That is another reason why my lights are so bright. The bulbs don't have to shine through 2 different lenses (the OEMs and the covers). Mine were sanded to remove casting numbers, polished smooth, and then sprayed with a tinted base coat and two layers of clear by my body shop. They look a lot lighter in direct sunlight, and dark when not. Here are two daytime pics taken within minutes of each other. Just different light...

Edmund Iverson (05-18-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Triplex07
Are they just replacement bulbs (plug and play)or did u have to add a resistor- different harness ets?
Plug and play bulbs and a hyperflash harness. Easy peasy. Radio Flyer has all you need. The key is the "Cree" LED bulbs he offers. Very bright when just on, but REALLY bright when the brakes are applied. There is a big change in brightness, just like the OEM incandescent bulbs. My old LED bulbs from 2011 or so weren't like that. The new LED tech is great.
Edmund Iverson (05-18-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:45 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 810 Likes on 430 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I've had the Corvette Enhancements blackouts on my car since 2006. Never had a problem with them. Visibility is fine, and they look killer.

*Edited to correct vendor

Last edited by Fastbird; 05-16-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:49 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Safety aspect aside, I think the blacked out look is way overdone these days, but I'm old school and the younger crowd always says us old farts don't know what looks good. I like dark tinted windows, but when everything is black (i.e., paint, windows, trim, wheels, tail light lense covers, etc.), it's just too much...
Old 05-14-2019, 04:36 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grampi50
Safety aspect aside, I think the blacked out look is way overdone these days, but I'm old school and the younger crowd always says us old farts don't know what looks good. I like dark tinted windows, but when everything is black (i.e., paint, windows, trim, wheels, tail light lense covers, etc.), it's just too much...
I will be 50 in October, so I guess I will be an old fart too. Opinions are just opinions, though, regardless of someone's age. I still like tinted windows, lenses, trim, etc. Visually, when bright trim pieces, red and white light lenses, chrome emblems, etc. are "muted", the lines and features of a car's body become more prevalent. Personally, I think subtle is sexy and clean is mean. I loved my car SO much more once I removed and replaced emblems, eliminated the tacky stainless bumper inserts, and replaced the chomey-homey wheels...

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Corvette Blackout Kit Opinions?

Quick Reply: C5 Corvette Blackout Kit Opinions?