Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Coyote
The truth hurts too!
I feel yer pain, I just stood at a Trump Rally for a few hours on asphalt and my legs and feet were killing me. I'm no good at standing still. Can walk 10 miles, no issue. Standing still...
Originally Posted by 001pewter
I see what your up too....

Get some old dudes to hurt themselves and sell their verts for cheap.

Hoping some might drop their price if they can't swap the top like the cool guys!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 PM
Coyote
Drifting

Received 268 Likes on 107 Posts

I see what your up too....

Get some old dudes to hurt themselves and sell their verts for cheap.

47 isn't THAT old. But hey, this whole top down, top up exercise may help my flexibility.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I feel yer pain, I just stood at a Trump Rally for a few hours on asphalt and my legs and feet were killing me. I'm no good at standing still. Can walk 10 miles, no issue. Standing still...

Hoping some might drop their price if they can't swap the top like the cool guys!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Coyote
47 isn't THAT old. But hey, this whole top down, top up exercise may help my flexibility.

We'll get Spazzy to do some more wearing sweat bands and sht to sell as a complete workout.

Arms: doors for bi's and tri's
Leg day: pushing the car around
Cardio: have someone chase you in the car

Last edited by 001pewter; 05-20-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:28 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

We'll get Spazzy to do some more wearing sweat bands and sht to sell as a complete workout.

Arms: doors for bi's and tri's
Leg day: pushing the car around
Cardio: have someone chase you in the car
Neck: Lay on a creeper under the car for 2 days working on it.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

Why in the world would you want to see how fast you can raise or lower the top?
I pride myself in doing things as slow as possible because I have no choice.
I enjoy looking my 03 vert over as I walk around it when I raise or lower the top. I once saw a bug splatter on the passenger side mirror and quickly cleaned it away. No telling how long it would have gone unnoticed if I had raised or lowered the top from inside.
Not going to happen with this old man. Impossible.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:17 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I was pretty sure you had orangutan arms
Old 05-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
A while back there was a thread about convertible tops and in there I mentioned how fast a person could swap from top up to down and back without leaving the drivers seat. There was disagreement about my time estimates which I'd honestly never attempted to time. I had sold my C5 so I no longer had it to do a test, but as I recall I estimated 15 seconds, maybe 10. Some guys said 30 seconds to which I had no reasonable reply, just no...

After some back and forth with a few folks, I mentioned I would ask my buddy who bought my former C5, to bring it some time and video me swapping the roof so I could post videos. He stopped in today as I was working on my C6 and we took these.

So, here ya go. roughly one HOUR faster than the power vert top on my C6.

Thank you for showing this newbie to the Vette experience another great "trick of the trade"! I saved your two videos for reference and proof that it can be done!
Old 05-21-2019, 04:58 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Grandpa1
Why in the world would you want to see how fast you can raise or lower the top?
I pride myself in doing things as slow as possible because I have no choice.
I enjoy looking my 03 vert over as I walk around it when I raise or lower the top. I once saw a bug splatter on the passenger side mirror and quickly cleaned it away. No telling how long it would have gone unnoticed if I had raised or lowered the top from inside.
Not going to happen with this old man. Impossible.
Necessity is the mother of invention. Get caught along the freeway when it's busy and it starts raining, NOW is a good time for the top to go up. If you don't want to be a statistic, you stay in the car.

But seriously, this wasn't a challenge to see how fast I could do it. I can't see how going slower is somehow going to benefit anything. I'm not frantic here, this is just the pace at which I would move, and if you add 5 seconds to this, it would look 100% relaxed.

If I get another C5 vert, this is just how I'll swap that one. For now, I hit a button and it goes rrr r r r r r r r r r r r for what feels like an hour and the top goes up or down, when it's in the mood and some switch isn't fooling the car into thinking something is unsafe. What a pita. I HATE the power roof now. To add, the motors and hydraulics for that cost a FOR CHUN! Holy big bucks batman.
Originally Posted by Forcedvert
I was pretty sure you had orangutan arms
Hey, even if I didn't, the toneau motions are easily done by simply nudging it and letting it fall. Pushing up, arm length is irrelevant. I reach to the top of it and hold on, but you wouldn't have to. I'll also add that when it's windy, this is more difficult. But it's difficult standing outside too if it's windy.
Originally Posted by Edmund Iverson
Thank you for showing this newbie to the Vette experience another great "trick of the trade"! I saved your two videos for reference and proof that it can be done!
Hey, I'm glad if you find it useful I forget the first place tried it but I needed to avoid traffic. Figured I'd try this way, and next thing ya know, I preferred it.
The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (05-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Manual Convertible Top Videos