Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 driver seat into C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts
Default C6 Z06 driver seat into C5 Z06

Posting this as a future reference. There was enough information from past threads scattered around to put together a decent picture of how to accomplish this, but it became clearer when I actually dug in so here's my experience to add to the archives:

Random facts:

1. The seat tracks are interchangeable, the mounting holes are in the same spots. C6Z base will bolt right into your C5.
2. The driver seat track (motorized) from the C6 Z06 has a threaded stud on the left side that will interfere with the larger C5 seat belt retractor when sliding the seat all the way back. Cut this stud off.
3. The seat belt receivers are not compatible, remove your old receiver and put it on the C6Z base, the electrical connectors are the same
4. The motors and their corresponding connectors are the same between the C5Z and early C6Z, this means almost all the wiring from your C5 will transfer over to your new seat base

My C5 base looked like crap, and of course the motors and hardware were obviously older than the C6Z seat base I bought so I decided to swap the electronics over to the new base as opposed to swapping the new seat onto the old base.

This photo shows the C6Z electronic controllers gone and the C5Z controller box put into place. The C5 harness connectors are compatible with all the motors on the C6 base, it all clicked right into place. The big transparent connector loosely hanging in the middle of the photo is the connection which goes to the C5Z seat button controller

The connector on the left is from the C6Z harness, this is the only wiring which needs to be spliced together. This connector attaches to the C6Z buttons. The connector to the right is the one for the C5Z buttons. I simply cut the C6Z connector off its harness and stripped the wires back. I'll then do the same for the C5Z harness.

You can see the layout written on the paper below and how the wire colors corresponding between the old and new. This was just a temporary tape-job to test the base, I used heatshrink to make it more permanent afterwards.

C5Z seat buttons controller plug, 7 wires and their functions and colors are circled below:

C6Z seat buttons controller plug, 7 wires and their functions described below

Last edited by Jackie N; 05-21-2019 at 01:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jackie N:
Beer:30 (05-21-2019), hmhaga (05-21-2019), Not4spd (05-21-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:57 AM
hmhaga
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you post a picture of the seats in the car?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:32 AM
BurntNoodle
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

How much of an improvement was it over stock? I am looking to upgrade my seats next year and like the way the c6z seats look, but don't want to drop $450/seat and only feel moderate improvements.

John
The following users liked this post:
jrob56 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:50 AM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I changed my seats to C6 seats this past winter. I searched around and found a guy who makes a little jumper plug that goes from the original seat harness plug that is in our cars to the new C6 plug in the seats. So it was plug in play, no cutting and splicing wires. However, I do admire your work on making the seats work like you did.
The following users liked this post:
SDSummey (01-07-2023)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:20 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Good info. These threads are the main reason I come to this site. Keep up the good work and thanks for helping your Corvette Brethren

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 driver seat into C5 Z06

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 driver seat into C5 Z06