Sponsored by:

Girlfriend wants to learn stickshift on cammed C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 04:46 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
I'm on the same page as you. A manual C5 is insanely easy to drive. How many manuals out there can you start in 4th gear and not stall it out? A lot of low end torque helps wonders.

I let my wife drive and drive my C5, and killed it so many times we almost didn't make it home because the battery was almost dead. Also, probably took a few thousand worth of miles off the clutch.

It all depends on what matters to you more...making her happy, or some extra wear and tear on your car.
Very true. Even my cammed car that gets a bit jumpy at low speeds is WAY easier than the WRX STi I drove previously. I think it may have had an aftermarket clutch on it, but that thing had pretty much no slip to it. It also didn't have the low-end torque to be forgiving, and with the AWD, it had a lot of drivetrain to move. I loved that car (hated the community) but it was a challenge.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:55 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

I have a cammed LS swapped '84 w/ a TKO 600... The first few lessons with my wife went fine but once she got a little confident she retrogressed and we had a few o $**t moments. I am still willing to let her learn on it but we won't be making any excursions out of the high school stadium parking lot any time soon. She wants me to look for a cheap manual car that she can tear up because I haven't taken her out for a lesson in a while... Haha.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:03 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I really don't agree with a lot of the posts here. The MN6 C5 is a ***** cat. The throttle pedal is very progressive and needs a firm push to get the driver into trouble, the clutch is not heavy and is progressive and the gearshift is not a problem - mine has a cut down stock unit, no anti-venom and it shifts just fine. Just make sure it does not still have that 1-4 skip shift feature which anyone new to the car would be confused by. My old 5.0 LX Mustang had a significantly worse clutch and shifter. The only advantage it had for a "new" driver was that you sat up fairly high and had a good view of your surroundings.

2 out of 3 grandchildren so far have learned to drive on my old manual transmission Chevy truck - which IMO requires rather more concentration than the C5. We have a very long driveway good for mastering initial clutch steering and brake use, and we live on a very private dead end street, useful for learning to shift and take the speed up a notch or so before being ready to go out on the highway. They both now have manual transmission cars. And are comfortable driving the C5 - and I am comfortable with them doing that - it will probably get donated to one of them anyway at some point.

Last edited by jackthelad; 05-23-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:10 AM
jrob56
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Its a car and if shes going to be your wife, go for it. Dont kill that enthusiasm, and its something that can bring you closer. In reality not going to hurt anything. Shows the car is not more important than her too.
The following users liked this post:
turabo87 (05-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Girlfriend wants to learn stickshift on cammed C5