Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel adapter issue

Old 05-23-2019, 12:10 PM
LLINV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheel adapter issue

I bought 1” wheel adapters to better fit my wide body rear fenders. After putting the wheel adapter on, I am seeing that the lug nuts actually protrude very slightly from the actual thickness of the adapter. My ccw wheels require that nothing extends past the thickness of the spacer as the mounting surface of the wheel is flat.

Any clever ideas? These lug nuts are small ...do they make them even more shallow?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:53 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You may have to replace the OEM wheel studs with longer ones. Or get adapters that have studs already installed. These type of adapters are bolted to the OEM wheel studs and the wheel bolts to the studs supplied with the adapters.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:03 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Are they open ended lug nuts?

I have a hard time imagining why the the lug nuts would be the furthest out. The studs themselves should be the furthest out.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:15 PM
LLINV
Advanced

Old 05-23-2019, 01:50 PM
kevbot
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Find another set of lug nuts, perhaps the set you're using there are a little thicker/taller than normal. I'm running 25mm and 20mm adapters and had to trim the stock studs just a tad because the stock studs were what was causing clearance issues for me, not the lug nuts.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:55 PM
LLINV
Advanced

I had to trim the smooth non threaded part of the wheel stud off. These lugs are pretty small/shallow already.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:08 PM
kevbot
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Not the greatest photos, but here’s a couple I just dug up from when I put my adapters on. This is before I trimmed the non-threaded part off and you can see the lug nut is far enough recessed, and this wasn’t even tightened down all the way. There are still threads showing too.

Looking at your photo, if you only cut the non threaded part off and the studs don’t even stick past the lug nuts, there’s one of two things occurring:

1) the lug nuts are too tall
2) the recessed area where the stud sticks through and the lug nut tightens down was not machined out deep enough by the manufacturer. If it were machined deeper (basically if there were less adapter material between the lug nut and the hub) the lug nut could thread onto more of the stud.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:04 PM
LLINV
Advanced

So I took my lugs off my other 1.5” adapters and the lugs actually work better and recess within my 1” adapter. Problem solved, adapters and wheels mounted. Love the look! Thank you to those who responded

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel adapter issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel adapter issue