Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Encouraging News for C5 resale prices

Old 06-08-2019, 01:11 AM
Daddy o
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Encouraging News for C5 resale prices

Hello All. Had to go to a local Chevy dealer here in N.Y yesterday who specializes in Vetts to make an appointment to have my HB replaced. After 25,000 it reared it's ugly head on my 04 LeMans spec. edit. and since I'm not going to attempt to do it myself I'm scheduled for the 26th. to have it done. That's the earliest that they could get me in. They are swamped with work so since I hate to leave my car at any dealer for anything, I'm hoping they are as good as their work load and claims of quality work are correct. I won't mention their name yet, but when I get the work done I'll either praise them or curse them here. I'll keep you updated. I just pray she comes back the way I brought her in!
Anyway, I was talking to a salesman about their C5 prices which were running between 21,000 to 25,000. They had a large inventory of used Vetts and they are a big seller in this area. He told me that they can not get enough QUALITY C5's ( excellent condition with under 40,000 ) since cars in that catagory fly out the door. Said there are still many traditionalists who want the pop up headlights and classic looks. Now I don't know if it was BS or they were trying to tempt me to trade mine in for a new one, but it was still nice to see those prices for a 15+ year old car. Granted, dealers get top buck, but they are selling them for that money, so people are willing to pay. Again, that's for clean, no mods and under 40,000 miles. There are many C5's in N.Y. that fit that bill since most are put up for 6 months during winter.
Just thought I'd pass this info along FYI.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Wade Wilbur
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't imagine how they are getting that kind of money for a C5. I just bought a cherry 2002 with 55,000 miles from a dealer for $15,000. When I was looking for this one, for most of the C5's I saw they were asking much less than $20,000. Who knows what they were actually getting. Just my experience.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:15 AM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

I would take anything a car salesman told me with a grain of salt. This one sounds like he's slicker than goose ****.
The following 3 users liked this post by Old School:
BlackHellcat (06-08-2019), jackthelad (06-08-2019), Wade Wilbur (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:35 AM
Josephu
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

Legalized Liars....
Old 06-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Daddy o
Racer

I don't know about goose crap, but those prices were posted on the cars and their web site so he was correct on the costs. Dealers always charge more than what a smart buyer would pay, but the fact that there are people buying them at that price means that old saying still is true ,as the plumber says" There's an *** for every seat"! Some buyers are just more comfortable buying from a dealer I guess. Don't know if they offer any kind of warranty on used Vetts since I didn't ask. They were offering great deals for new ones though, I have to admit. I'm not bashing them or praising them. I'm just relating the info.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:32 AM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

Salesmen only lie when their mouth is open. It's all about supply and demand. Lots of availability and limited number of buyers wanting 20 year old cars. NADA prices are based on actual sales and do not reflect nonsense like this.
The following users liked this post:
Wade Wilbur (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 09:47 AM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Curious to know dealer name. Sounds like buyers there don't want to bother buying out of state. 20-25k are C6 prices.

A nice 03 spiral gray w 35k miles just came up for sale for 17k,assuming it will sell for 16k or even less depending on how fast they want it gone.... I'd be taking a look if I needed one.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Daddy o
Racer

Since I get the feeling some of you think I'm full of crap on my OP and I'm not bashing the dealer or praising him, I'll get you to their web site and you can apologize latter! Since it's posted on the web and public knowledge, I'm not making any false claims. Go to Vanbortel Corvette, click on the used Vetts link and check for yourself. Many over 21,000. Not saying good or bad, but if they can get those prices, if a seller holds out long enough he might find the buyer with $ to burn. Remember, Vettes are not as common in n.y. like tx. and fl. where there is one every block. The winter months don't beckon buying a vette. Unless they want to travel out of state, this seems to be the dealer price they'll have to pay for local unless they buy from an individual. Poligy accepted!
The following 3 users liked this post by Daddy o:
JALLEN4 (06-08-2019), Old School (06-08-2019), rjwvetttt (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

No one doubted you Daddy o. I guess some people feel more comfortable buying from a dealer or too lazy to price shop,
Old 06-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I have said this before, C5 General members are the most critical of the C5 value. Not a majority of C5 member but it seems to be a growing number. Any time a member posts a positive thread or positive comment about the C5 value, they are attacked and criticized. Any make or model car or truck that has been well cared for, has low miles and is desirable has more value than the same car or truck that is well worn with high miles. To the OP, thanks for posting.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike98SilVert:
friou (06-11-2019), JALLEN4 (06-09-2019), Jim_ZO6 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Wade Wilbur
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy o
Since I get the feeling some of you think I'm full of crap on my OP and I'm not bashing the dealer or praising him, I'll get you to their web site and you can apologize latter! Since it's posted on the web and public knowledge, I'm not making any false claims. Go to Vanbortel Corvette, click on the used Vetts link and check for yourself. Many over 21,000. Not saying good or bad, but if they can get those prices, if a seller holds out long enough he might find the buyer with $ to burn. Remember, Vettes are not as common in n.y. like tx. and fl. where there is one every block. The winter months don't beckon buying a vette. Unless they want to travel out of state, this seems to be the dealer price they'll have to pay for local unless they buy from an individual. Poligy accepted!
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not doubting what YOU said, I'm doubting what HE said. I'm sure you relayed the information accurately. There's asking price and there's selling price. I think the salesman might have confused the two.

When I bought my first Harley many years ago, the salesman said they didn't negotiate on price, they priced them to sell. About six months later most of the used stock was still there when I rode in on my Harley purchased from a dealer that DID negotiate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wade Wilbur:
cep1932 (06-09-2019), CorvetteBrent (06-09-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 03:22 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Who cares honestly, they're worth less then a Honda Accord.

They're cheap toys.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Daddy o
Racer

Thanks Mike 98. I have to agree with you, but I don't understand their reasoning. Why not enjoy that your car is getting a higher price thank so called book values? After all it's more value in your pocket. Regardless if a grand or two is knocked off, it's still an increase in value. Like I said earlier, there are plenty of Vettes in n.y. but nowhere near as many in the tx. and fl. areas. They are swamped with them so if you are looking to buy most likely the car they want will show up sooner or later at the price they are willing to pay. Not the same here since most are very low mile garage queens and like you said that's what makes a big difference in price. Book or no book, the cherry cars still bring a premium. Low miles, no mods and well kept has an advantage. I posted their web site in a previous post and 21,000 seems to be a starter price there. They've been in buisness awhile, so they are selling them.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,209 Likes on 13,925 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

They can ask what they want - getting it is another story. They always leave room for negotiation.
Wade Wilbur (06-08-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 03:12 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Prices for vehicles including C5's will always be higher on the Coast's. Any type volume dealership will always ask much higher sticker value, and rape you on trade-in's even with a pristine example. Places like here in the For sale section and Ebay are telling signs of what the vehicles are actually being sold for. In this day and age of world wide web shopping, there should be no excuse for someone to pay high retail unless they absolutely have to have that car, and it's in high demand. I honestly believe it'll be some time before any of the C5's show significant resale values or increase in worth. There's too much electronic gizmo's in these cars that can fail, and that's a sale killer to a potential new Corvette buyer, who doesn't want to undertake finding parts outrageously overpriced. If the C5's electronics were readily available and cheap. I think you'd see more of demand for them because it's a wonderful platform. Just my .02
CorvetteBrent (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 08:00 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I don't know about goose crap, but those prices were posted on the cars and their web site so he was correct on the costs. Dealers always charge more than what a smart buyer would pay, but the fact that there are people buying them at that price means that old saying still is true ,as the plumber says" There's an *** for every seat"! Some buyers are just more comfortable buying from a dealer I guess. Don't know if they offer any kind of warranty on used Vetts since I didn't ask. They were offering great deals for new ones though, I have to admit. I'm not bashing them or praising them. I'm just relating the info.
Sounds like if anyone has a C5 they want to sell, they should have this dealer sell it on consignment...
Old 06-09-2019, 08:09 AM
tekheavy
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello All. Had to go to a local Chevy dealer here in N.Y yesterday who specializes in Vetts to make an appointment to have my HB replaced. After 25,000 it reared it's ugly head on my 04 LeMans spec. edit. and since I'm not going to attempt to do it myself I'm scheduled for the 26th. to have it done. That's the earliest that they could get me in. They are swamped with work so since I hate to leave my car at any dealer for anything, I'm hoping they are as good as their work load and claims of quality work are correct. I won't mention their name yet, but when I get the work done I'll either praise them or curse them here. I'll keep you updated. I just pray she comes back the way I brought her in!
Anyway, I was talking to a salesman about their C5 prices which were running between 21,000 to 25,000. They had a large inventory of used Vetts and they are a big seller in this area. He told me that they can not get enough QUALITY C5's ( excellent condition with under 40,000 ) since cars in that catagory fly out the door. Said there are still many traditionalists who want the pop up headlights and classic looks. Now I don't know if it was BS or they were trying to tempt me to trade mine in for a new one, but it was still nice to see those prices for a 15+ year old car. Granted, dealers get top buck, but they are selling them for that money, so people are willing to pay. Again, that's for clean, no mods and under 40,000 miles. There are many C5's in N.Y. that fit that bill since most are put up for 6 months during winter.
How much is the dealer banging you for the HB replace?

Get notified of new replies

To Encouraging News for C5 resale prices

Old 06-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Daddy o
Racer

Since there is no one in my area who I'd trust or know to do the job, I have no choice but the dealer. There are no vette specialty shops around here so I'm kind of caught between a rock and hard spot. They are charging me $1,000 bucks for HB, new bolt, front seal. I see on forum they are running around $800+ so I'm not that far off. Would be glad to go to a qualified repair shop for Vettes, but there just isn't any around here. Very uncomfortable with dealer for fear of getting my pristen car back with unexpected surprise, but it's them or nothing. I have no intentions of doing it myself since I'm not going to attempt that big of a job on my back. Say a prayer for me!��
Old 06-09-2019, 09:15 AM
nmbsun
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

DO NOT USE GM Harmonic Balancer, they are JUNK. Before you spend the money at the dealership get this ATI Balancer and ARP Bolt and you will not have anymore problems. Do some searching on this forum and you will find out about this. I went through 3 GM Balancers before the Service Manage finally agreed to allow me to buy the ATI and ARP Bolt and they would install it. That was several years ago and I have no problems now with HB.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...te?prefilter=1
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...-size/5-7l-350

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...te?prefilter=1
The following 2 users liked this post by nmbsun:
friou (06-11-2019), ShagVette (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 AM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 159 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I sold it myself for more than that .

Last edited by 1FINE99; 06-10-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Mike98SilVert (06-09-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Encouraging News for C5 resale prices