Dyno Costs

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 PM
tomikem
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Dyno Costs

I am inquiring as to the cost for a full dyno tune in your area.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,127 Likes on 1,930 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It depends on the work done that required the tune.

A tune for longtubes vs a tune for a cam swap will be different prices usually.

I had my car tuned by one of the best on the west coast which is a cam and heads car for 550 cash.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:45 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Usually between 250.00 - 500.00.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

500.00 and any adjustments there after without any mod updates !!
Old 06-18-2019, 02:56 PM
niterydr
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Usually around $500 with dyno time, head cam car.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:48 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

Don't let cost be your guide, let reputation and customer referrals be your guide.

I owned and operated a chassis dyno for years, and if you were shopping price, you were getting boned hard core. I didn't skimp on costs, but my customers daily drove their stuff, reliably, with good mpg, and I backed up my sh*t. Local hacks givin discounts...not so much. I set the market and that was it...if it was too much, then go throw your 40k build on a dyno for 150-450 and get it blown up...wasn't on me.

In the end, the local numbers will be based around local competitiveness and rep. Go where the rep is...and pay...period.
The following 2 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
mikeam (06-19-2019), rjwvetttt (06-18-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 AM
niterydr
Racer

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Don't let cost be your guide, let reputation and customer referrals be your guide.

I owned and operated a chassis dyno for years, and if you were shopping price, you were getting boned hard core. I didn't skimp on costs, but my customers daily drove their stuff, reliably, with good mpg, and I backed up my sh*t. Local hacks givin discounts...not so much. I set the market and that was it...if it was too much, then go throw your 40k build on a dyno for 150-450 and get it blown up...wasn't on me.

In the end, the local numbers will be based around local competitiveness and rep. Go where the rep is...and pay...period.
Agreed! I am and was in the same boat. Owned a dyno for years, now freelance, was quoting based on experience of pricing for the basic heads/cam ls setup regarding the time needed to tune. I also saw my far share of "this tune was a deal" hack jobs across multiple platforms. Price shopping for a tune is absurd. You've got tens of thousands into your vehicle but want to haggle over a few hours of time to get it right.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:24 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

Tuning world is a mess man...lol. I miss the game but I don't...believe me. I may jump back in, in a few years...I've considered it. I enjoyed giving people a good closure to their build, but like you say...haggling over a couple of hours, after people put a year in to their build, and 10 or 30 or 50 grand...just blew my mind. I loved having customers that said hey...take all day, I don't care...make it right. Customer builds often had a few loose ends of some sort, especially turbo builds, which is what I tuned 95% of the time; so getting them squared away was something they valued.

Pay the best guy, and most reputable shop you can find. Find someone that knows your build, can look over the car and give you a good outcome. A tune for 250.00...I wouldn't even want it.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 AM
niterydr
Racer

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Tuning world is a mess man...lol. I miss the game but I don't...believe me. I may jump back in, in a few years...I've considered it. I enjoyed giving people a good closure to their build, but like you say...haggling over a couple of hours, after people put a year in to their build, and 10 or 30 or 50 grand...just blew my mind. I loved having customers that said hey...take all day, I don't care...make it right. Customer builds often had a few loose ends of some sort, especially turbo builds, which is what I tuned 95% of the time; so getting them squared away was something they valued.

Pay the best guy, and most reputable shop you can find. Find someone that knows your build, can look over the car and give you a good outcome. A tune for 250.00...I wouldn't even want it.
My background is forced induction so I get that as well. 1 out of 10 times they are actually "ready to go". The rest are mechanical issues or limitations/build oversight.

The customers that "get it" and want it done right are the best for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno Costs

Quick Reply: Dyno Costs