Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of vinyl wrapping targa top?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:44 PM
C5Chad
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking of vinyl wrapping targa top?

I have a clear targa top on my torch red C5. But the condition it’s in at this point is terrible, the tint looks more blue, and has what looks like spider webbing or hazing cracks all over it. Was wondering what some of you all may have done with yours and what your thoughts are?? I was considering either getting a glossy carbon fiber vinyl wrap for the top OR a gloss black vinyl wrap for it, but if I went the gloss black route I’d possibly consider wrapping the halo also. The targa top seems easy enough I could do myself, but if I went the next step to do the halo also, I’d probably have to pay someone to do that so it looks professionally done.

Just curious what all your thoughts are on it and maybe if some of you have done either of those two ideas I mentioned, if you have pics I’d love to see them to get a better idea.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

I think the tint always looked blue, either that or mine is just as blue as yours!

Personally, I like the heavily tinted top. Mine, too, has the weird patterns of hazing/webbing/whatever it is, maybe from a previous owner's cleaning attempt, maybe from the sun, maybe from age. I just sorta shrug and ignore it, costs $$$ to replace. As is, you can get some light through it, which is nice, but it feels pretty opaque at night.

If I was to wrap it, I'd first consider doing body color, or matte black, though carbon fiber could look good too. Not sure about gloss black, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What color is your car?

I wouldn't wrap anything other than the targa top, unless you really need to, just because I think the contrasting targa top is a pretty good look but surrounding stuff, eh.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:23 PM
C5Chad
Instructor

Originally Posted by gimp
I think the tint always looked blue, either that or mine is just as blue as yours!

Personally, I like the heavily tinted top. Mine, too, has the weird patterns of hazing/webbing/whatever it is, maybe from a previous owner's cleaning attempt, maybe from the sun, maybe from age. I just sorta shrug and ignore it, costs $$$ to replace. As is, you can get some light through it, which is nice, but it feels pretty opaque at night.

If I was to wrap it, I'd first consider doing body color, or matte black, though carbon fiber could look good too. Not sure about gloss black, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What color is your car?

I wouldn't wrap anything other than the targa top, unless you really need to, just because I think the contrasting targa top is a pretty good look but surrounding stuff, eh.
Mine is the torch red color. I like the clear top, but the imperfections it has, be it from age or from maybe out in the sun although mine is kept in garage, it’s just unsightly to me at this point. Would like to replace it with a new clear top but I don’t feel like paying 500 plus dollars for one. Rather that kind of money go towards the performance of the car.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:30 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

IMO, torch red would go great with matte black and carbon. Not entirely sold on gloss black. But to each their own
Old 06-27-2019, 11:04 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 810 Likes on 430 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I wrapped my targa and Halo with gloss black back in 2010. Still looks good.

The following users liked this post:
VFR RC46 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

If that photo is a good example, I changed my mind, gloss black looks better than I expected.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:27 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by gimp

A good paint shop can restore the targa top for you. I had mine done 8 years ago and it's still good.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:03 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I wrapped a solid targa top on my '03 and it looked pretty good. Used a CF wrap made by 3M.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:28 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

This has been discussed in the past and I remember some negatives regarding the ability for the vinyl to stay put.
The remarks were that the plastic are always in a state of off-gassing and can cause bubbles. Apparently a few people on this thread have done it and have had no problem. A very good friend of mine had his done about 6 months ago and has had no trouble either.
I have the ‘clear’ blue top, not the solid painted one and found it to be very hot in all but cold weather. It had the insert available from Mid America but it started rattling and I took it out. As an experiment, since I don’t like the clear top, I bought some black gloss vinyl and applied it to the INSIDE of the targa top. That has worked out very well. I’m now thinking of doing the outside with some type of interesting color.
I’ve done some vinyl work and have a familiarity with the material. Make sure you use vinyl intended for Automotive use.
Di-Noc is very attractive but designed for flat interior walls, not compound curves. I learned this from 3M directly.
My friend has a very nice carbon fiber look on his and I’m now encouraged to do it with mine since I also have some surface scratches.
Lastly I would urge you to avoid plain black GLOSS vinyl. It will develop spider webs no matter how wet your cleaning rags are.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:31 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

When I did my top I originally tried in carbon, although it looked ok it wasn’t perfect. The material was a bit thicker and harder to lay down. I ended up switching to a 3M that matched the carbon flash, it was easy to lay down and still looks good a couple years later.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:42 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Quik, glad you mentioned that. DiNoc is twice as thick as typical automotive vinyl. You’re job looks great. Did you apply wet or dry method?
Old 06-28-2019, 01:53 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
Quik, glad you mentioned that. DiNoc is twice as thick as typical automotive vinyl. You’re job looks great. Did you apply wet or dry method?
Dry, I thought it was much easier. Heat and not being afraid to stretch it helps too, especially in spots where you know it wil wrinkle. Once I realized I could heat it up pretty good and stretch it quite a bit, laying it down went so much faster.
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:26 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

If you do a search for, My Targa Top Refurbish, you'll see that it's a pretty easy process to make it look like new. If I can do it, anyone can. That being said, I wrapped my other top with a carbon fiber look that's held up really well. I also did my mirrors, rear fascia, and threw a couple hash marks on the fenders. I don't know why the words carbon fiber are highlighted, and a short cut to Amazon. I tried to delete the highlight but I can't. Not trying to push a product. Anyway, Amazon isn't where I purchased the carbon fiber wrap.

Last edited by Ramets; 06-28-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:39 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Well guys, I got my self all excited about doing this but then I looked at my roof:
Oops....
Old 06-28-2019, 12:10 PM
C5Chad
Instructor

Thanks for all of the replies guys! Think I might try a glossy carbon fiber like 4d or 5d carbon fiber on the targa. If I don’t like it I’ll just peel it off and go with the gloss black idea or try refinishing it.

Anybody know of what the good brands are to try that will stick well and be somewhat easier to work with??
Old 06-28-2019, 02:09 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

3M1080, Oracal, Arlon, Avery are the ones I’ve worked with and liked. KPMF and Hexis I’ve only had samples from so I can’t evaluate as an application. I also will go on record that I don’t like Vivid.
The better ones have air channels to help with smoothing. Get extra, take your time and practice on something else, that’s smaller. The targa does not have dramatic compound curves, so the challenge is to get the vinyl smooth with nice finishing at the ends.
If I had to pick one, it would be 3M.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:58 PM
boomnzoom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prep

Prep, prep and more prep. The surface needs to be very smooth and very clean. I did my C5 Targa because the glossy finish was peeling up in places. I did not prep it well enough and initially it looked great but when it got into direct sunlight and got hot it bubbled up . I'm in the process of doing it again now with some advice from some pro's. I loved the way it looked and will keep trying. Going with the carbon fiber because it fits the white car well.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of vinyl wrapping targa top?

Old 06-28-2019, 04:11 PM
C5Chad
Instructor

Excellent! Thanks for the advice guys! Think I’m going to see if I can find a 4d or 5d carbon fiber vinyl from one of those companies you had mentioned and give it a try over my holiday break next week.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:47 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by boomnzoom
Prep, prep and more prep. Going with the carbon fiber because it fits the white car well.

Incredible combo!!! I saw a guy follow a c6 ZR1 in the factory in that color, just great.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:14 PM
C5Chad
Instructor

So I just bought a 5’x8’ piece of the Avery Dennison High Gloss Carbon Fiber vinyl for the targa top. This will be my first real attempt at doing a “professional” job wrapping something. Last time was like 10 years ago when I did a childish hack job on my cobalt ss lol.

Are their any specific tools I need to look into buying to make sure it comes out as good as possible?

Quick Reply: Thinking of vinyl wrapping targa top?