Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 Base coupe with red brakes (callipers)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 AM
perledesencre
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default c5 Base coupe with red brakes (callipers)

Hi! I am new in this forum and I wanted to know something I have not been able to found on the internet or this forum.
As far as I know the red brakes in the C5 is only a Z06 standard.
I have a 2003 torch red C5 base coupe which came from factory with the red brakes instead of the grey ones.
I have also seen here a 2004 C5 base coupe with the red brakes the same as mine.

My question is: there was an option to pick up a 2003 C5 base coupe with the red brakes from factory?
Where the last 2003/2004 C5 base coupe equipped with red brakes instead of grey?

Many thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Leonardo
Old 07-18-2019, 07:28 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Only Z-06's came with red calipers from the factory (they were standard). Red calipers were not even optional on coupes and convertibles. Any coupe or convertible with red calipers (there are many, including my car) were modified by the owner.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4XLR8N:
jjc508520 (08-07-2019), ryanlandrews (07-05-2023)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 AM
perledesencre
Navigator

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Only Z-06's came with red calipers from the factory (they were standard). Red calipers were not even optional on coupes and convertibles. Any coupe or convertible with red calipers (there are many, including my car) were modified by the owner.
Thanks for your help!
Knowing that, do you know if the brakes I reffer have been modified (repainted) or if they are the Z06 brakes?
Attached you will find the photos. There are many 2003/2004 C5 here in Spain with the above brake configuration.

Last edited by perledesencre; 07-21-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:01 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

OK - I guess I didn't realize we were talking about C5's in Spain. What I stated above is for the US. I cannot say definitively if the same holds true for export vehicles. It probably does...but I just cannot say for sure.

On a side note - there is no difference between Z-06 brake calipers and coupe/convertible brake calipers except for color. Otherwise, they are identical.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:19 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
OK - I guess I didn't realize we were talking about C5's in Spain. What I stated above is for the US. I cannot say definitively if the same holds true for export vehicles. It probably does...but I just cannot say for sure.

On a side note - there is no difference between Z-06 brake calipers and coupe/convertible brake calipers except for color. Otherwise, they are identical.
I don't think that export C5's were any different in terms of caliper color. I would bet that a previous owner had either removed the calipers and painted them or possibly purchased a set of Z06-specific calipers. Given that the front rotors are drilled/slotted, (not stock) the color change was probably done in conjunction with a brake service.

The one thing that might be different between the base brakes and the Z06 brakes is that the pad material is different. I believe that the base brake pads are of a ceramic material while the Z06 pads are a semi-metallic compound.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:46 PM
perledesencre
Navigator

Thanks for your valuable comments!
I think you guys are in the right direction. It seems this is something modified from the factory standard.
Here you will also find photos of another case, a 2004 C5 with the red callipers too. In both cars seem to be the Z06 item instead of a stock re-paint.

So this may be nothing else that the coincidence of two similar cases.

Last edited by perledesencre; 07-21-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:14 AM
perledesencre
Navigator

I am now convinced that GM used a different brake color paint scheme for the C5 that were exported.
All the C5 exported in year 2003 (50th Anniversary just commemorative cars) were supplied with the brake calipers in color red.
As far as I've seen, also the 50th Anniversary special edition for the US had the brake calipers in color grey but when this same car was exported it had the brake calipers in color red.
Here you will find infinity of different 50th Anniversary special edition exported cars. All them have the same brake color pattern and the same happens with the 2003 / ¿2004? C5 exported.

The following users liked this post:
TGstring (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 01:02 AM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by perledesencre
I am now convinced that GM used a different brake color paint scheme for the C5 that were exported.
All the C5 exported in year 2003 (50th Anniversary just commemorative cars) were supplied with the brake calipers in color red.
As far as I've seen, also the 50th Anniversary special edition for the US had the brake calipers in color grey but when this same car was exported it had the brake calipers in color red.
Here you will find infinity of different 50th Anniversary special edition exported cars. All them have the same brake color pattern and the same happens with the 2003 / ¿2004? C5 exported.

could you be so kind as to desrcibe and perhaps post up a pic as to where the rear fog light switches are located in the "export" cars? I've always wondered what part of the car / dash is used for this switch.
Thank in advance!
Tom
Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 AM
perledesencre
Navigator

Originally Posted by TGstring
could you be so kind as to desrcibe and perhaps post up a pic as to where the rear fog light switches are located in the "export" cars? I've always wondered what part of the car / dash is used for this switch.
Thank in advance!
Tom
Hi Tom,

The rear fog light switch is located just where you have the trunk release. And "export" cars have the trunk release into the arm arm rest console. I will then upload some photos.

Best regards,
Leonardo
TGstring (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 04:43 AM
perledesencre
Navigator

Originally Posted by TGstring
Thank in advance!
Tom

TGstring (08-13-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To c5 Base coupe with red brakes (callipers)

Quick Reply: c5 Base coupe with red brakes (callipers)