Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Which Head Unit to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 02:26 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

I highly recommend the alpine iLx-W650. It doesn't take CD's, but if that's not an issue, it's in my mind hands down the best DD unit out there. It's not terribly expensive -- only $330 or so on amazon.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700650...p-Package.html

It uses android auto for nav, so you'd use googlemaps or wayz for nav, which is way better than anything proprietary.

This thing is really ingenious.. it's TINY and super light.. the screen is the same size as my old DD, but the depth is insanely shallow.... You can also buy a 450watt (50 watts rms per channel) amp that literally attaches to the back of the unit.. so, no wires to run (I'm using the amp to drive the my audiofrog speakers in front and hertz speakers in the back... it's not earth shattering, but a VERY noticeable improvement over the head unit's stock 25 watts per channel, which itself wasn't that bad to begin with. ).
has android auto and apple car play... if you're not familiar with those, once you plug your phone in, a car-friendly screen from your phone is shown on the head unit, and you get a good portion of your apps -- wayz, google maps, pandora, spotify, amazon music. OEMs aren't even bothering updating nav these days, just incorporating android auto and carplay.

here's a size match up, old vs. new:

Old pioneer head unit on the left, Alpine on the right

Same.. New alpine unit on the right-- depth is just about 2.5"

Installed.

Alpine unit with 450watt proprietary amp strapped to the back.
The following users liked this post:
lewislgZ06 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 10:21 AM
MikeTN77
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

I have that same Alpine unit, and I'm pleased with it. Android Auto works great on it, and it's not laggy at all. I just wish they had made the background customizable....good unit tho
Old 04-09-2021, 11:03 AM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

The wireless version Apple CarPlay seems to add a couple hundred bucks to the cost of them, if you can live with a cable they're a lot cheaper
Old 04-09-2021, 06:39 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JMG2
I highly recommend the alpine iLx-W650. It doesn't take CD's, but if that's not an issue, it's in my mind hands down the best DD unit out there. It's not terribly expensive -- only $330 or so on amazon.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700650...p-Package.html

It uses android auto for nav, so you'd use googlemaps or wayz for nav, which is way better than anything proprietary.

This thing is really ingenious.. it's TINY and super light.. the screen is the same size as my old DD, but the depth is insanely shallow.... You can also buy a 450watt (50 watts rms per channel) amp that literally attaches to the back of the unit.. so, no wires to run (I'm using the amp to drive the my audiofrog speakers in front and hertz speakers in the back... it's not earth shattering, but a VERY noticeable improvement over the head unit's stock 25 watts per channel, which itself wasn't that bad to begin with. ).
has android auto and apple car play... if you're not familiar with those, once you plug your phone in, a car-friendly screen from your phone is shown on the head unit, and you get a good portion of your apps -- wayz, google maps, pandora, spotify, amazon music. OEMs aren't even bothering updating nav these days, just incorporating android auto and carplay.

here's a size match up, old vs. new:

Old pioneer head unit on the left, Alpine on the right

Same.. New alpine unit on the right-- depth is just about 2.5"

Installed.

Alpine unit with 450watt proprietary amp strapped to the back.
Will the amp work with the stock Bose speakers?
Old 04-09-2021, 06:43 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by foundvettelifeisgood
Will the amp work with the stock Bose speakers?
its just like any other amp, has wires that connect to the speakers. so, if you want to use the stock speakers, you need to run a PAC-OEM converter (or something similar, I think crutchfield carries something) , just liike you would with any other amp. Or, just replace the speakers, run new wires, and bypass the dsp.
The following users liked this post:
foundvettelifeisgood (04-09-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 11:37 AM
mfi2000
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

oh...don't run the stock speakers...

Quick Reply: C5 Which Head Unit to Buy