Sponsored by:

ColorBond the seats!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 09:37 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Edmund Iverson
There are a few threads here in the C5 group that mentioned the ColorBond Medium Slate(?) is the best color match for the 50th AE interiors and has been a good product to use."
That is not the correct color for the interior on a 2003 50th Anniv.
The correct color is #153 GM M Dark Neutral for a 2003 50th Anniv.
I did my VetteNuts Double Din surround with three coats of
#153 GM M Dark Neutral and it matches perfectly with the OEM color. Note that there is also a GM Dark Neutral (no M ) and it does NOT match.
I also used the #153 to recoat both my seats and again a perfect match. The DD and seats have held up great for over two years.
The owner replied to me on a question and was very helpful and friendly. BTW, I top coated my surround and seat with their Adhesion Promoter Clear Aerosol (215) BEFORE spraying the color. And a couple of coats of the matte clear as a top coat after the color coats dried.
Best interior paint I have found
Jim

Spoiler

Last edited by jrprich; 04-15-2020 at 11:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:42 AM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Received 627 Likes on 317 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Lookin damn good. I really like it with your green car.

TCFS
Old 04-13-2020, 08:58 AM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
That is not the correct color for the interior on a 2003 50th Anniv.
The correct color is #153 GM M Dark Neutral for a 2003 50th Anniv.
I did my VetteNuts Double Din surround with three coats of
#153 GM M Dark Neutral and it matches perfectly with the OEM color. Note that there is also a GM Dark Neutral (no M ) and it does NOT match.
I also used the #153 to recoat both my seats and again a perfect match. The DD and seats have held up great for over two years.
The owner replied to me on a question and was very helpful and friendly. BTW, I top coated my surround and seat with their Adhesion Promoter Clear Aerosol (215)
Best interior paint I have found
Jim

Spoiler

Jim, thank you for providing the correct color names and numbers! The posts you made about your experience with ColorBond are the very same ones that I was mentioning!
Your insights that you shared about your experience with the product on your car helped give me the confidence to undertake this project, so I would like to thank you for that, as well!
I'm very pleased to hear that the results of your labor are still holding up after two years' time.
I was thinking of getting some of their clear aerosol for the door panels and knee bolsters, and most likely will do that if you think it's a good idea, too.
Thanks again, and Happy Easter!
jrprich (04-15-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 10:59 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Congrats on a job well done.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:05 PM
Tokuzumi
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice work! Makes me want to do something similar to my 2004 Escalade. Interior is in good shape for a mid 2000s GM suv, but it needs some love. I'd like to change the interior color to black, from the "shale" gray.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:16 PM
boostedfury
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

I really love your color choice for a kalahari like feel but also love your placement of where to add the color! You have done a fantastic job on modernizing a 20 year old interior, great job!
Old 04-13-2020, 07:40 PM
Hepcat
Racer

Received 322 Likes on 177 Posts

Looking better and better, Ed. You and Cordelia forever.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:56 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

Never would I have guessed that this wasn't OEM if I didn't know better. Tremendous work. Congratulations! Thanks for enriching the forum with so much information. Now many others can follow in your footsteps.
The following 2 users liked this post by oharal:
Edmund Iverson (04-14-2020), Hepcat (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:29 AM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Guys, I am humbled by your kind words! Thanks for making my day!

Last edited by Edmund Iverson; 04-14-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:41 AM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Okay, here are some pics and an update! It took longer than usual for the carpet dye to arrive, but it finally did! Oh, then we had extremely cold temps (not uncommon in Dayton area for this time of year!)
So-- yesterday was just warm enough for me to forge ahead with completion of the carpet dyeing project!!

The driver's well is done!

So is the passenger side!

The trunk before reinstall

and after! Note the accent stripes along the trim; it looks better now that I've got them aligned and installed

So now the reassembly begins!
The passenger side had the easiest access for me, so I started there. The fuse box lid or door was trying its best to fight going back into its spot!
The C pillar goes first (I found out by trial and error) mostly so you can ease the piece under the black seat belt trim/cover. then the door sill B pillar snaps in.
**If I have these trim pieces mis-named, somebody please correct me!

I put the passenger side in first, trying to remember which trim piece was supposed to go on in the right order! That fuse box "door" was a pain to reinstall BTW!

the carpet and trim pieces reinstalled! Remembered to reconnect the air duct on the sidewall there!

the waterfall is back to normal!

Here it is, ready for the seats!

Driver's side reinstalled..

...overview...

...passenger's side reinstalled!

I should have the seats back in it today, as soon as it warms up in the garage.
Stay tuned!
boostedfury (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:10 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

It’s looking great Ed! I decided against coloring my black trim pieces because I don’t think the effect will be what I expected and the black contrast against the light carpet looks better. What I AM doing is recoloring the miles of stitching in my Redline trim and Interior Innovations seats. Because they are from different vendors, and I went ‘very’ custom with the trim with 2 color stitching, there’s a lack of matching in accents that should be consistent since I have so much of it. I decided on orange, which is what I originally wanted but talked myself out of. I’ve done a lot of ‘dye pen’ testing on scrap pieces and orange is the lightest boldest color I can change too. (I’m also in an ‘orange stage’ of life....don’t ask)
Edmund Iverson (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 12:05 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

That looks really good. Going to be a slight difference then the norm and that's a good thing too. Hope it lasts a long time. I've got an office chair I made and after seeing how this stuff is working out for you I may just give it some purple.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:33 PM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Okay my friends, the seats are in! The sun visors got some recoloring, as one is an aftermarket piece, and I can't see spending $150 on sun visors just because of color difference.

Ta Daa! Please take note of the lower door panel gap; in this picture no trim...

,,,and in this picture there is a thin piece of satin silver panel gap trim. I'm not sold on it yet, just wanted to try it out. These doors have so few areas to accent them

I'm trying to use just a bit of silver as the jewelry of the interior; this picture is sans panel gap trim

a closer shot of the silver trim.

Now for the floor mats!

The sun visors reinstalled --

The driver's side is the aftermarket and had actually faded to a blue tint. Back to black!

Here again was my inspiration, the Kalahari interior of the C7's, for your refrence-

I'm very pleased with the results, and am very glad my lovely wife insisted that I change the carpet color!
Does anybody have a black convertible trunk/deck mat they want to part with? I realized those mats really "finish" the trunk's look

Now to give the car a bath to remove the dust, and take it for a spin when the skies clear up!

I'll provide updates on the wear-ability of the ColorBond, and I very much appreciate you all coming along with me on this Kalahari-themed adventure!
If you decide to try the ColorBond paint for your own projects, share them here, please!

Last edited by Edmund Iverson; 04-19-2020 at 02:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edmund Iverson:
mstromquist (04-19-2020), MWWarlord (08-21-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 03:19 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Ed, it’s spectacular. Heads are going to turn!.
Now, not that I’m complaining, but you need to get that puppy in the sun!!
Old 04-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chasboy
It’s looking great Ed! I decided against coloring my black trim pieces because I don’t think the effect will be what I expected and the black contrast against the light carpet looks better. What I AM doing is recoloring the miles of stitching in my Redline trim and Interior Innovations seats. Because they are from different vendors, and I went ‘very’ custom with the trim with 2 color stitching, there’s a lack of matching in accents that should be consistent since I have so much of it. I decided on orange, which is what I originally wanted but talked myself out of. I’ve done a lot of ‘dye pen’ testing on scrap pieces and orange is the lightest boldest color I can change too. (I’m also in an ‘orange stage’ of life....don’t ask)
Chas, be sure to share the orange dye stitching experience with us! You have a lot of stitching to cover, how many pens do you think you'll need?
Old 04-20-2020, 10:09 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Edmund Iverson
Chas, be sure to share the orange dye stitching experience with us! You have a lot of stitching to cover, how many pens do you think you'll need?
I bought a total of 4, 2 different oranges to accommodate the slight variance in the stitching in my car I’m pretty sure that will be enough. I did do some research on how those particular pens work so I should be OK. I was going to try using sharpies but then I saw some info where people had it rub off. The ones I bought are actual fabric dye.
Edmund Iverson (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 01:24 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 766 Likes on 703 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Beautiful! Great color choice. Thanks the info and pics. Congrats!

Get notified of new replies

To ColorBond the seats!

Old 04-20-2020, 01:45 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 810 Likes on 430 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Ed, I think we spoke briefly about doing something like this because it's how I wanted to gravitate with my car also. Seeing you put it into action.........it's just stunningly beautiful. Job well done sir. I absolutely LOVE what you've done with it.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:49 PM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Ed, I think we spoke briefly about doing something like this because it's how I wanted to gravitate with my car also. Seeing you put it into action.........it's just stunningly beautiful. Job well done sir. I absolutely LOVE what you've done with it.
Hi Fastbird, I do believe that we were discussing the options of color or lack thereof for the seats. Thanks for the very kind compliments! It seemed daunting at first, but I decided to just go one step at a time.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:09 PM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Here are some outdoor pics!
**note: I also redyed the Lloyd's mats, except I used Duplicolor fabric spray, as I ran out of ColorBond and just couldn't wait any longer!!

Here's the custom paint job I did on the dead pedal, and a closer shot of the floor mat

These two profile pics are probably the best photographic examples I've ever captured for the green color!

The following 4 users liked this post by Edmund Iverson:
Bruss (04-09-2022), MWWarlord (08-21-2020), Stingroo (04-27-2020), Tusc (05-23-2022)

Quick Reply: ColorBond the seats!