C5 insights

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 04:53 AM
gusgus
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 insights

I have relied on this forum to resolve some issues I have encountered with my 99 convertible. I want to try and give a little bit back as I have just completed some tasks that others have faced and offer my experiences so others might benefit. My rear window came loose while on a trip to visit family 4 hours away. There was no warning of a problem, it just started separating at the lower left corner. I managed to get to my destination and logged on to this site. Anyone who has researched this issue has found different assessments of possible fixes.
A disclaimer here, I am 75 years old and do not consider myself as a handy person. I went to a parts store and looked at the adhesives they stocked, a wide variety, and a clerk told me they really didn't carry the type of adhesive I needed. I continued to read labels and decided that I would try to mend the window, after all Chevrolet used some type of adhesive. I chose an epoxy that claimed it could adhere fabric and it had a quick set time. I also purchased acetone to clean the glass.
I thoroughly cleaned the window and then with a second set of hands I spread the epoxy, pressed the fabric to the glass and placed several towels tightly against the window from inside the car. I held my breath and allowed the epoxy to set. although the advertised set time was minutes I waited for a couple of hours before removing the towels. While it has only been a couple of months the window has held fast and is water tight. I want to stress that you may be able to complete many fixes if you use the advice that others have offered, take time to follow the directions on the adhesives and have some faith in your abilities to complete the task.
Likewise I replaced the struts on my deck lid. There were some who posted here who believed that repair was next to impossible. Not my experience, yes it is advantageous to be young and flexible but with patience I was able to remove the old struts and install the new ones in little over an hour. The most difficult part was moving the clips that held the struts in place that were located under the fenders. I succeeded and I no longer have to use my shoulder to hold the deck lid up.
Don't be afraid to try to make some fixes on your own. Again I am most appreciative of being able to tap into the vast expertise that this forum offers.
The following 9 users liked this post by gusgus:
CorvetteBrent (04-11-2020), DEFCON5 (04-12-2020), Edmund Iverson (04-09-2020), friou (04-09-2020), knewblewkorvette (04-09-2020), Rick369 (04-10-2020), Route99 (04-17-2020), shelteredV (04-09-2020), VetteHunter79 (04-09-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:25 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,213 Likes on 774 Posts

Thanks gusgus. Glad it is fixed. As a 76 year old, I can relate to your challenges fixing your C5. Per my chemical engineering neighbor indicated that one of the major reasons for adhesive failure is heat. My vert sits outside 24/7. To combat the heat issue, I have a top-up cover only that drastically reduces the temp inside the car and against the window from the outside. I used a different adhesive method a few years ago to reattach the rear glass. So far it is holding but anticipate doing again. Just one of those issues that is probably not permanently gone.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (04-11-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:49 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good that you were able to do the repairs yourself and save a bunch of money in the process. The forum is full of helpful posts on fixing just about anything on the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
DEFCON5 (04-12-2020), OregonDan (04-18-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 07:08 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Nice post and a happy ending. What's better than that? I was beginning to think I was in a very small club belonging to CF and just having a birthday to age 76... Guess I'm not and good to know. Can't say enough about all the help I received when I bought my '98... A lot of very unselfish people on these forums and eager to assist.
The following users liked this post:
DEFCON5 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:30 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Good stuff!
Old 04-17-2020, 06:24 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad you got your window glued back together! I used 3M WndowWeld, but it sounds like the adhesive you used should give you great results, too. One thing that helped me is I used a set of suction cup clamps to hold the window to the edge of the fabric top. I had never seen them before, but a search on the forum led me to ordering them from Amazon. Here's a picture of the clamps in action (Not my Corvette, so I can't take credit for the picture). they were a big help. Keep active on the forum and you'll read lots of posts that will help you get a lot of enjoyment out of your Corvette.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:10 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

great write up, and your exactly right about help from the forum
I have a vert and hope I never have the same problem (but in time probably will)
I'm having the same problem with my deck lid also
any pointers or tips on replacing the struts
Old 04-18-2020, 02:49 AM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Received 627 Likes on 317 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by helphos
Glad you got your window glued back together! I used 3M WndowWeld, but it sounds like the adhesive you used should give you great results, too. One thing that helped me is I used a set of suction cup clamps to hold the window to the edge of the fabric top. I had never seen them before, but a search on the forum led me to ordering them from Amazon. Here's a picture of the clamps in action (Not my Corvette, so I can't take credit for the picture). they were a big help. Keep active on the forum and you'll read lots of posts that will help you get a lot of enjoyment out of your Corvette.

it is mine, and after 4months (cold 0C, rain) and 2000km, the 3M tape 5952F is still solid.
TCFS

Get notified of new replies

To C5 insights

Quick Reply: C5 insights