Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 05:19 PM
Torch Red
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (505ci V-10)

I guess the Viper owners are mad that nobody notices them anymore so they need to spam us into looking at them. That is Small .... Way small.

Old 05-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (SnakeBitten)

I guess some arguments will never die :) People keep forgetting that the Viper wasn't made to be an everyday daily ride....It can be...But performance was the goal a la the Shelby Cobra...It does exactly what DC designed it to do....Kick butt.....In its short life span so far it certainly has racked up a storied heritage....

Its a waste of time to compare it against any car other than in performance....That is what the Viper is all about...Uncompromised performance......Thats why people buy those Cobra Kit cars etc...They want that raw performance feel that you cant get from a modern sports car....They could probably drive it every day but its not practical.....The Viper is more livable than one of these kit cars of course but it gives one the raw feel of those racecars of yore....

Of all the things people find wrong with the Viper it alway makes me laugh when they harp on fit and finish.....The Porsche guys say the same thing about the Viper/Vettes interior but come track day thats the least of there concerns :D Its all about performance guys..
Very well said! :cheers:
Old 05-04-2003, 12:38 PM
JACSZ06
Instructor

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (Dean McManis)

I thought we were talking about the interior of the Viper and how "nice" it is but if you'd like to "blow by me" in your RT/10, I think you'll be left wanting, and wishing your Viper had more. Have a nice day. :thumbs:
Old 05-04-2003, 12:50 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (JACSZ06)

You kept going on about how important having a top quality interior was in a performance car, so I suggested that you buy a Boxster or regular 911 and enjoy your interior as I pass you by.

And then you talk about your modded Corvette, which IS a performance car, but by you own judgement, has a relatively poor interior. :P

You are saying one thing (interior quality is most vital) and living another.

Back on topic:

I'm still going to buy the June M/T magazine, but I haven't found it in the stores yet, so....

Their Viper GTS tested in '98 did the standing mile in 30.1 @ 173.3 mph.

And of course it should be noted that the Mosler Proton has not been approved as a street legal car yet, and had racing tires on it.
Still, it was quite impressive, along with the surprising EVO 8.

The SRT-10 Viper was clearly a performance match for the $275K Lambo Murcielago, and likely the GT2, which has similar performance numbers.

Obviously from the numbers, the Z06 did quite well too in this pack of fast cars. :cheers:
Old 05-04-2003, 12:57 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

My June issue came yesterday, so it should be in the stores next week.

Les

Old 05-04-2003, 01:50 PM
JACSZ06
Instructor

I SAID that in this price range the Viper has a crappy interior, therefore I am not saying two different things. I also think the Corvette has a comparable interior to the Viper. My Corvette cost almost half of what your Viper cost (new). Thanks for reading. :thumbs:
Old 05-04-2003, 02:19 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

The car in this test that impresses me the most is the $29,000 4-door Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Wow that thing moves.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (rbartick)

I SAID that in this price range the Viper has a crappy interior, therefore I am not saying two different things.
That's exactly my point. It's an insult to performance enthusiasts to think about the Viper from anything but a pure performance viewpoint.

It's like comparing the Boxster S with the Z06. It may well have a better interior for the same price, but from a performance point of view the Z06 is in a different league altogether. :smash:

Certainly there are others that would want the Porsche instead, just not me.

And the comparably priced, and relatively underpowered European cars with "nicer" interiors don't reallly hold a candle to the Viper's performance in the same way. :bb
Old 05-04-2003, 02:59 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Hey Dean!! What the Hell are you doing here arguing with the Z06 guys!! :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :jester :jester

vetterdstr :hat
Old 05-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (vetterdstr)

Just playing around. :boxing

When are you guys going up to Sacramento? I need to be put in my place by some beefy Corvettes at the track to rationalize my next round of mods. :thumbs:

-Dean.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:12 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

We can go to Sac as soon as I have my car dialed in... I will let you know what is happening... in the meantime, start saving for those big mods!! :eek:

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Actually, I have a full NX nitrous setup from my Corvette that I'm going to adapt to the Viper. Most guys can pull around 550RWHP/700RWTQ out of a 150 shot. :eek:
Not that I'll get anywhere close to putting that much power down to the ground on street tires, but it will definitely help in 3rd and 4th gears.
I've been looking into using a shift light to trigger the N20 solenoids instead of a regular window switch. :cheers:

[Modified by Dean McManis, 12:34 PM 5/4/2003]
Old 05-04-2003, 03:49 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

That setup sounds good... what about a progressive setup for the NOS?

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 05-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Yeah progressive controllers help tame wheelspin with street tires, but they are still over $500, which is harder to justify with rare use.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (rbartick)

The car in this test that impresses me the most is the $29,000 4-door Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Wow that thing moves.
Same here! That's definitely "bang for your buck!" :eek:
Old 05-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (Nat02Z06)

quote:The car in this test that impresses me the most is the $29,000 4-door Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Wow that thing moves.

Same here! That's definitely "bang for your buck!"
I agree, and that's bone stock. You can bet that there are already performance kits available for the EVO 8 that will threaten supercars. And the WRX Sti is possibly even faster. :p:
Old 05-04-2003, 11:13 PM
SnakeBitten
Instructor

Agreed..Just got back from E-town ricer drags....Saw an EVO with just cat-back, intake and intercooler upgrade and it did a 12.5 at 109...Not bad for short money.....

BTW these ricers are getting verry fast...The record run for the day was 6.7 @ 205..get this..From a Solara with a Supra engine.

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout

Old 05-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Firehawk
Instructor

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (505ci V-10)

You guys are to funny :lol:. Sorry, I just thought you were car enthusiasts not just Vette freaks. There is a ZO6 involved in the shootout so it is Vette related, just thought you wanted to know thats all. Looks like this post touched some nerves.

Take Care. :flag
:iagree: I want a Viper and a Porsche,etc. Actually one of each in May and June issues of Motor Trend. Check it out you'll love the articles if you like :cool: cars in general. I love my Z06 and my Firehawk but I'll take a Viper and a Cobra and a....They're all really nice cars and they all have their strong and weak points. :cheers:
Old 05-05-2003, 09:25 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (Firehawk)

I have raced a 2003 Viper. The results were a bit differnet than the one M&T are claiming I beat the Viper from a dead stop to 150.

I would like to point out one thing about running a Viper. This is not a slam of one, it is simply a statement of fact. With the abundant torque that a Viper has, making a good run is simply a matter of letting out on the clutch at fairly low rpm. The car doesn't bog, and it simply leaves. So a good run isn't that hard. But I am impressed with the 11.77. That is better than anyone on the Viper boards I have seen. As for the Z06 time, that is on par with most folks first time to th track in the car.

In a Z06 it is a bit trickier as the car doesn't have as much torque. So leaving like they do in a magazine test will result in the car bogging and not running nearly as good a time. I understand that the Viper folks are jumping up and down in excitement over the test results, and understandable so.

I just want to point out that a Z06 can be (and has been) driven to a much better time than they have published. Look at GMHTP running a 12.2 in a 2001 Z06 vs a 2002 Viper. As for the Viper, I haven't seen anyone on the Viper boards turn a better time than the 11.77 posted in the article.

The other time I have seen posted for an '03 was an 11.86, and I beat that exact car on the street from a dead stop, and lost by 1-1.5 car lengths from a roll...

As for the whole its costs more/less blah, blah, blah.... Who cares... I'm not going to cite the more expensive less expensive stuff because none of that matters. If you want to get into cost comparisons and 1/4 mile performance go buy an '03 Cobra and bolt on a pulleys, headers, and an off road exhaust. You should be even to the Viper in terms on 1/4 mile performance at about half the cost.... See how silly the argument gets.

Again, the Viper is a nice car. I'm sure their owners really like them. But, again a Z06 is faster than the magazine states. You may call that an excuse, but go drive a car that makes torque like the Viper, and go drive a car like the Z06 that takes a little more finesse to launch.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout (J-Rod)

Well stated once again JROD. Well STATED INDEED! :yesnod:

MTI 427 Roadster

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2003 Motor Trend High-Speed Shootout